rat guy
14 years ago
my first problem is that i am not sure the year of the car... other then the body is a 1930's crysler couple that me and my prother pulled out of some farmers yard( i hope you guys dont hate me for this) but i am not sure the year of the beetle pan that we put it on. i beleave it is 68-69. and it is 12v.

the car runs great but most of the wiring is hacked apart. from what i can tell it looks like the genorator was replaced with an alternator not i am confused on how to wire it up.

on the wire diagramit shows that the wires off the generator are marked DF and D+ that go to the respective posts on the regulator

my problem is the "alternator" is marked with a D+ and a B+. the B+ goes straight to the pos terminal on the batery and i know that is right, but the D+ wire goes nowhere, there is also another wire that goes from the housing tpo nowhere that i think mmight just go to ground.

my question is do those two wires go and do i still need to use the regulator? if so what goes where. keep in mind this car is more of a sandrail then anything i am goinf to drive on the road
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
VW Stan
14 years ago
Hi, sounds like the alternator you have has a built in voltage regulator.

This will explain the wiring...

https://www.vw-resource.com/alternator_wiring.html#internal 

Have fun!
8)

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!