j.scribner
19 years ago
Hello- Anyone out there have a mini-camping trailer for their bug? I occasionally see the vintage teardrops for sale, and occasionally the retro-style new trailers, but nearly all seem to heavy to pull behind my '64 1200 bug. (and the prices take my breath away) I'd like to build a really small, light teardrop style camper for short overnight trips around home... something retro looking, just enough room to crawl into and bunk down for the night. Anybody have any experience with this, and anyone have plans for a trailer hitch for the old bugs? Any and all suggestions welcome....
John Scribner
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Larry
19 years ago
John,

I attended a VW show in Bloomington, Ind. last year and met a guy up there who sells exactly what you just mentioned. He dismantled one of the old original "teardrop" style trailers and now builds and sells them. And you are correct, you would need more horsepower to pull it. If I remember correctly he had a 1600cc engine in his Oval bug. The entire setup looked really nice. Yes I did get a brochure from him but I cannot recall right now what I did with it. You may ask around up there about this guy, you are practically sitting on his doorstep.

This basically lets you know that they are out there. If I can find that brochure I will forward it to you.

Happy camping anyway,
Larry
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
j.scribner
19 years ago
Larry- I'm thinking along the lines of "cedar strip" epoxied construction, much like the beautiful epoxied and varnished cedar strip canoes. Extremely light, strong, and absolutely gorgeous. The cedar strips conform to curves well, and truthfully, I'm looking for something to get "oooh's and aaaah's" over, rather than something to take camping with. That's what we have our nice little pop-up and '95 Grand Cherokee V-8 for, which have taken us across much of the East, Southeast, and Midwest. My wife and I graduated to the pop-up after 20+ years of tent camping, and she in particular has no desire to step backwards!! (And at 52, I would not rather sleep on the cold ground anymore!) I just want something I can hit the shows in, and maybe bunk out in if I've had a few beers... I'd appreciate tht guy's address if you find it. I've located a guy who built a small camping teardrop to pull behind his Harley with only a tongue weight of 28 pounds! It looks amendable to the cedar strip construction, and a twin mattress fits inside. About like the cabin on my 18' sailboat. I envision mine very aerodynamic, and with little brass portholes on the sides. :lol:
Cheers,
John Scribner
Little Guy
19 years ago
Take a look at www.LittleGuy.co.uk
Teardrop Trailers from £1995
pre67vw
19 years ago
They look a bit too modern..

how about this?

UserPostedImage

Camp-Inn Trailers 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Larry
19 years ago
Hey John,

Now that is a nice looking trailer. The one that I saw last year was made of wood but I like the looks of this one much better, and it would definitely last longer.

Larry
j.scribner
19 years ago
Gotta have one, Gotta have one!
Those are gorgeous little trailers. Unfortunately, my first-born son has moved out (so I can't sell him), both daughters are at college, and I don't want to sell my wife yet, so unless I win the lottery, I can only drool over the pictures. Or make one myself. I sure would like to find a ready source of that sheet aluminum... I think the cedar strip method of planking, when covered with fiberglass and saturated with marine epoxy makes a very lightweight and strong skin. It's also incredibly beautiful when fully finished. A good spring project.
John
Larry
19 years ago
John,

Today we went out to pick up a friends 1958 bug that he found for sale. I'll e-mail you a photo.

Larry
Etzhold1
19 years ago
The most nice trailer behind a beetle is a "Eriba Puck" check this links for nice trailers, the WAWA sl 200 is Ok for a bus, but you have them also for beetle's the WAWA 180 sl ! Great trailers, light weight trailers !!!
https://www.bbt4vw.com/Car%20sales/Autoverkoop/caravans%20and%20trailers/caravan1978eribaglad.php 
https://www.aircooledbeetleparadise.be/WAWA%201969.htm 
j.scribner
19 years ago
OK, OK! I give!! I will GIVE you my wife for one of these trailers... just kidding, of course, but they are so beautiful they make me just want to cry.
John Scribner
Etzhold1
19 years ago
Hi John,

Can you send some pictures of your wife, what year is she build 😃 !If there are nice accesory please send a detailed photo ! :lol:
I'll consider to trade for my WAWA ! My wife don't know about this pending trade, She realy love's my WAWA, but I'm sure will appreciate your wife as well, because she can use some help , if she's cleaning my aircooled VW's :lol: :lol:

Guido
zelensis61
19 years ago
Hey Guido,

Is your wife also included in the trade? If she does not know you gone do that you can ask her to clean the inside from the camper, :twisted: at that point you put the thing on the ship and of she goes.

Just kidding , or what did you think :!:

Damm, I wanted to go at HH to the car sale and wanted to drive with you and ET and now I have a mail that you are not going. DAMN... :oops:

Greetings. Peter

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
j.scribner
19 years ago
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You guys made me laugh after a long hard day in the operating rooms! Thanks! Yes, my wife is built, and she is a wonderful cook, good housekeeper, and a great girl. But I think I'd rather uncrate a wild bobcat than my wife after trading her for a trailer!!!
Cheers,
John Scribner
FREDDY
19 years ago
Hi,

A friend of mine told me about the camping trauiler she has for her Simca 1000 (rear- engined, 40 hp).It is a "Apeldoorn Paradiso Faltmeister".I don't know if this would be interesting for you, because I don't think this trailer was sold in the US, but maybe for some others in europe :lol:
But now see some pictures:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Here is the link to where I found these photos: https://www.kaefermagazin.de/1003/spezial/spezial.htm 

Greetings,
FREDDY
Keep the ORIGINAL beetles running!!!
j.scribner
19 years ago
Freddy-
What a great looking little trailer! My wife and I have a small "pop-up" camping trailer we tow behind our Jeep Grand Cherkee which looks something like the trailer you posted pictures of. We have camped all over the US east of the Mississippi River in it. No bathroom, no running water, and only one little light inside. We do all our cooking outside and on a fire, and basically just sleep in it. I have my little '64 bug in storage for the winter, and since my garage has no electric or heat, all VW projects are on hold until about mid-March. But then I hope to build a small trailer for my bug, just big enough to crawl into with a sleeping bag. I will keep everyone posted on this project as it develops!
John Scribner
perlut
19 years ago
Posting a picture of my trailer.It's build 1959 in Sweden.
Click here to see "Alfredo" 
FREDDY
19 years ago
Perlut,

This trailer is great!Are there still some left in sweden? :lol:

Greetings,
FREDDY
Keep the ORIGINAL beetles running!!!
j.scribner
19 years ago
Perlut-
That's just about one of the coolest 😎 things I've ever seen! I don't suppose there are plans available for it? I don't know a single word of Swedish, but it looks like it may have been made in 1959?
John Scribner
perlut
19 years ago
Yes, it's made -59 i Katrineholm, Sweden. There where about 100
made between 1958 and 1964 and there are at least 5 still around.
Etzhold1
18 years ago
Found this caravan a few day's ago !!
What do you guy's think about this one !!  3690.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.