RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi,
Which years was the chrome trim section around the rear of the beetle cabrio hood in two pieces with a central joining strip? I know the 'Oval' era cabrio had the trim in one piece.
Thanks.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I have read it was 67 and later in two pieces. I´m not certain how true that is though.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
vintagebug
14 years ago

Oval era were definitely one-piece, as you say. I don't know when it was changed to a two-piece, but I know a man who will- try contacting Chuck of Chuck's Convertible Parts in the States:-

www.chucksconvertibleparts.com

Or Martin (55 Kab) might know??

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
55Kab
14 years ago
As James says, and as far as I'm aware, the 1-piece trim strip lasted up until 67.

GKL 7
14 years ago
A cabrio that has solid aluminium trim is the only one worth owning:wink:
RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
14 years ago
Thanks for the replies. One piece up to '67 seems to be the answer although I have photos of a 1960 cabrio in Bob's collection at BBT and that definately shows the trim to be in two sections with a central joining strip.
Does anyone know when aluminium trim was used and when it was chromed brass?
Cheers.
GKL 7
14 years ago
Solid alu was Split dash only.
Chrome brass during oval period but sorry don't know when it went on to hollow alloy.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
My `58 has one bit of original chromed brass left.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

A cabrio that has solid aluminium trim is the only one worth owning:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

[-x :lol:
55Kab
14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. One piece up to '67 seems to be the answer although I have photos of a 1960 cabrio in Bob's collection at BBT and that definately shows the trim to be in two sections with a central joining strip.

RoRoVw wrote:

I guess you have to ask yourself how original that is?

I wouldn't think there's too many 50 year old Cabrio's around that have never had a new top so I would put money on the 2-piece being fitted at the same time as a replacement top.

RoRoVw
  • RoRoVw
14 years ago

I guess you have to ask yourself how original that is?

I wouldn't think there's too many 50 year old Cabrio's around that have never had a new top so I would put money on the 2-piece being fitted at the same time as a replacement top.

55Kab wrote:

Ah yes! Good thinking.
Thanks for everyone's replies.
Cheers.