58 Convertible
14 years ago
Hello Everyone,

I got so much help from You with the last question regarding the convertible reinforcements so I thought that I would ask some more questions :)

I have bought a 1958 sedan as a donor for my Convertible restoration and I'm wondering which parts that are the same / can be modified to fit.

I will take the heater channels from this car and just ad the reinforcements underneath, correct?

Would it be possible to use the luggage shelf from the sedan to replace the badly repaired on in the Convertible?

The pan from the sedan have rust free original floor panels, I'm thinking that I would cut the "jack lift things" and it would be exactly like the original floor pans from the convertible, right?

I have understood that it would not be possible to fit the rear seat from the sedan or modify it to fit, but the front seats would be correct if I would re cover them with correct material?

Thanks!
Ola
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
I think you're correct on all points
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
zelensis61
14 years ago
Yes, you are correct.
A convertible is basicly the same as a sedan. They just added reinforcementpannels.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
55Kab
14 years ago
Heater channels are the same and pans would be the same once you've cut off the jacking points.

I would be careful about the luggage area because I think the lower metal work where it bolts to the pan over the spine is different > looks a little steeper in a cabrio.

You're quite correct, the rear seat from a saloon will not fit a cabrio. The cabrio reat seat is a lot narrower and a different shape. Front seats are the same.

58 Convertible
14 years ago
Thanks! You are all very helpfull :D

would be careful about the luggage area because I think the lower metal work where it bolts to the pan over the spine is different > looks a little steeper in a cabrio.

55Kab wrote:

in that case i have a problem 😃 previous owner wasnt very "carefull":

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago
Some interesting historical repairs there. :lol: Looks like the standard of my welding!

Think from looking at those photos you should be ok by sympathetically repairing the edges of the part where it's nearly 45 degrees.

58 Convertible
14 years ago

Some interesting historical repairs there. :lol: Looks like the standard of my welding!

55Kab wrote:

:D

Think from looking at those photos you should be ok by sympathetically repairing the edges of the part where it's nearly 45 degrees.

55Kab wrote:

I´m not sure that i understand what You mean, my English is not 100% :S

pre67vw
14 years ago

I´m not sure that i understand what You mean, my English is not 100% :S

58 Convertible wrote:

I'm English and I didn't understand either... :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
58 Convertible
14 years ago
Finally got the donor vehicle to my garage, after some quick measurements it looks identical in the luggage shelf area, I will look into it more carefully later this evening.

Really happy with the donor, it has solid pan that is never welded and a gear lever lock.

Kind regards
Ola
55Kab
14 years ago

I'm English and I didn't understand either... :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

Are you sure...I didn't think people that lived near Norfolk could be considered English...!!! :lol:

55Kab
14 years ago

Finally got the donor vehicle to my garage, after some quick measurements it looks identical in the luggage shelf area, I will look into it more carefully later this evening.

Really happy with the donor, it has solid pan that is never welded and a gear lever lock.

Kind regards
Ola

58 Convertible wrote:

Good news Ola. When I mentioned the "almost 45 degree" I meant where the luggage floor rolls off the horizontal down towards the cross-members.

Let see some pics of the donor vehicle.

pre67vw
14 years ago

Are you sure...I didn't think people that lived near Norfolk could be considered English...!!! :lol:

55Kab wrote:

I don't live near Norfolk... :?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
14 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

You'll be surprised what I call near Norfolk! :lol:

58 Convertible
14 years ago
Good floor with only surfacerust, but it has a severe "dent" after falling from standing up...

UserPostedImage

Nice accessory too :D

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Right side is a lot worse than this, but still better than the ones I have.

I think I will use as much as possible from these channels an use the bottoms from Wolfparts.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
58 Convertible
14 years ago
A pic from th right side that is not so good
UserPostedImage

Some people will probably want to kill me for "messing up this nice patina car" or something like that
UserPostedImage

And finally a picture of the poor Convertible before blasting
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

But you do have webbed feet,so it can't be too far away.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Looks identical to 'Westy77's '59.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
William