beefykeefy
14 years ago
I've been a lurker on here for a while (too much time on VZi too :oops: 😳 ) and Robb's lovely 67 has spurred me on to post some pics of mine on here, where stock owners aren't told to slam it, or hit it with a lowering stick...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It's had a rake of work done to it, further details to follow, but that's how it looks at the moment :d

It's by no means as original as Robb's but I've saved it (twice) from being another sad statistic.

It has some neat little touches too, including a speedo with an odometer, which I've heard is rare.

UserPostedImage

Done some digging with PO's and as far as they remember it's always been on the car.... maybe a dealer option? Perhaps the 67 pervs can let me know what they reckon? There's also an ashtray light in the pic too, not sure whether this was a dealer option.

Just below the speedo are two little LED style lights - one can be seen in the picture. These were for the heated rear screen (no longer working :cry: ) and rear foglamp. Again these and the switches under the dash look like they've been there a while, and PO's seem to back this up too. Both lights still work mind, and I've got the switches wired for front and rear fogs.

Just got to put the rear seats in, carpets and tidy things up and I'll be pretty chuffed. Need to book it in for an MOT this week (been without for 20 months), so I might see a few of you chaps around at some of the shows this year :beer:

Please feel free to comment :d

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Always nice to a 67 ,especially in lotus white.I had a fontana grey 67 which i sprayed lotus white as i couldnt stand the grey.
pre67vw
14 years ago
Looks great! but I think you should lower it... Oh hang on, wrong forum :lol: :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Welcome to the forum. Lovely car! Speedo looks great and it could well have been fitted from new.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
beefykeefy
14 years ago

Welcome to the forum. Lovely car! Speedo looks great and it could well have been fitted from new.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Thanks.

You sold me that radio by the way. Works a treat :beer:

I've also got one of these -

UserPostedImage

It's a Blaupunkt Emden - VW part no 1110035103 stamped on the side. This was in the car when I bought it and has a 6v-12v switch. Some of the 67 pervs I know say it's an original 67 OYO part; I'm not so sure but it's never worked :oops:

Anyone know where I can get it tested to see what's wrong and whether it's a fixer? Also, is it a 67 OYO part? If it is, or if it's year/period correct, I'd like to get this unit recommission and back working :d
Robb
14 years ago
cool, glad you made it on here, great looking car, good to see its still got the proper 67 only hubcaps too 😎
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Thanks.

You sold me that radio by the way. Works a treat :beer:

I've also got one of these -

UserPostedImage

It's a Blaupunkt Emden - VW part no 1110035103 stamped on the side. This was in the car when I bought it and has a 6v-12v switch. Some of the 67 pervs I know say it's an original 67 OYO part; I'm not so sure but it's never worked :oops:

Anyone know where I can get it tested to see what's wrong and whether it's a fixer? Also, is it a 67 OYO part? If it is, or if it's year/period correct, I'd like to get this unit recommission and back working :d

beefykeefy wrote:

Thanks for purchasing an Oakley radio. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Yes, the Emden I you have with p/n 111 035 103 is a 'one year only part'. Blaupunkt were actually approached by VW in 1966 to commission a range of VW-only radios. Up until that date, all of the dealer approved/supplied Blaupunkts were generic models (Frankfurt, Essen, Bremen etc etc) that would be appropriate for any make of car. The 1967-only models (Emden I and Wolfsburg I) were only available through the VW dealer network and had unique faceplates, pushbuttons and one-year-only VW-embossed knobs. Although a new range of VW-only radios was introduced in Aug '67 for the '68 model year, Blaupunkt kept on making these '67 model radios until 1971.

I've dropped you a PM about repair.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
beefykeefy
14 years ago
Thanks Rich.

I'm new to this forum, but I haven't had a PM. A repair of the unit would be the nuts 😛

EDIT****** Thanks Rich; emailed received and will be in touch :?
beefykeefy
14 years ago
The underside of the wings and inner wings have been painted in Lotus white to match the body.

I stripped the old underseal, wax and paint off the inside of each wing (inner wings done again by Panel-Kraft near Baldock) using a power drill and wire wheel.

UserPostedImage

Three out of four wings were in great shape, but the front N/S one had some rust issues and has been repaired in the past, but it's passable for now.

On went some Epoxy Mastic 121, straight on top of the bare metal, followed by a high build primer, below. The Epoxy Mastic stuff is great IMO.

UserPostedImage

Then on went some stonechip, followed by the Lotus white mixed by Avenue Coatings in Slough. I used a paint brush to apply this working it into the nooks and crannies, and rollered it off with a medium pile roller to give it a thick stone-chip effect.

UserPostedImage

Had to do this four times but pleased with how it looks now compared to what it was in black underseal, especially with the inner wings in Lotus white too. Not one for the purists, but at least it'll last a bit longer, plus I've done the best I can with limited funds.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
beefykeefy
14 years ago
Done a few jobs recently to tidy up the interior.

Under the dash was covered in dirt and wax.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I cleaned this with 600 grade wet and dry, buffing off with a 1200 grade and T-Cut, and got it fairly presentable and clean. When I bought the car, the PO had a front parcel shelf fitted but this was accidentally kicked off by an MOT'er 3 years ago and lightly damaged :oops: Since then it's been in a cupboard, so I spend a few hours repairing and refitted it again 😛 .

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Well chuffed :d No idea what make it is as there are no markings on it anywhere; has anyone seen one like that? It's black plastic with a netting shelf. There's the original fuse cover knocking about in the garage somewhere, so I'll pop that on later.

Also picked up a Kamei rear parcel shelf last summer from The Samba 😎

UserPostedImage

It cost £41.00. Reeeesult :lol:

My wife also bought this historic tax disc on my birthday, which looks great IMO. No taking the pi55 out of my furry dice :shock:

UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
The shelf is a genuine VW accessory. Had a few cars with them in.
beefykeefy
14 years ago

The shelf is a genuine VW accessory. Had a few cars with them in.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I'm guessing that the front shelf, ashtray light, speedo and radio were ordered as extra's from the dealer? It did have the same rear Kamei parcel shelf as above when I bought it, but it'd seriously discoloured and fell apart when I tried to save it :cry: Plus the PO had cut some holes for some JVC speakers :shock:

I know from Robb that it's not perhaps a year correct Kamei, but could the original one have been a dealer extra too?

Must've been a luxury car in it's day :wink:

14 years ago
I wanted to steal your speedo when it was at Haydens but he wouldnt let me.. :d
www.vwoval.co.uk
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

I wanted to steal your speedos when you were at Haydens but he wouldnt let me.. :d

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

:shock:
beefykeefy
14 years ago

I wanted to steal your speedo when it was at Haydens but he wouldnt let me.. :d

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Hello Julian - yep everyone wants that :shock:

The little ashtray light and the LED style dash lights have sparked an interest with the parts perves too 😛
beefykeefy
14 years ago
I met Roy Wilson (what a nice bloke) a few years ago and he sold me a VW jack, as mine was missing. I travelled to his house and picked this up for a few bob

UserPostedImage

I sand blasted it and detailed it over a couple of evenings and it looks like this now...

UserPostedImage

I missed a bit of black I think, but you get the idea :wink:
beefykeefy
14 years ago
Did a few anal bits a while ago to tidy bits and pieces up. The PO had cut loads of holes in the cardboard glove box liner to fit a modern radio in there 😳

Everything deserves a second chance, so rather than chuck it, I PVA'd it and applied some gauze over the holes. The back was even worse with bigger more dog-eared holes.

UserPostedImage

Once this had gone off, I filled with a polystyrene based filler over the gauze. This took a while to build up layer after layer to cover the gauze.

UserPostedImage

Rubbed it down carefully so as not to damage the cardboard areas, and sprayed on some high build primer.

UserPostedImage

Then, rubbed that down and found some ''cardboard'' coloured spray. It's OK, would have liked a closer colour and spent a bit more time rubbing it down though. I guess it's saved for now and I can always do it again.

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Ingenious glovebox liner treatment!

Keep us posted.
beefykeefy
14 years ago

Ingenious glovebox liner treatment!

Keep us posted.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I also wanted a modern stereo in the car, so I could listen to some CD's. I was loathed to put one anywhere in or on the car permanently, especially after fixing the wrongs of the old glovebox liner....

So I had a new old look suitcase and cut out a hole to fit a cradle...

UserPostedImage

And...

UserPostedImage

Round the back are some plug in phono sockets for power and I've fitted some small speakers in the top of the case, not shown here. Under the back seat, there'll be phono connectors, and it'll hook up with some leads as and when I want CD's. A kinda portable stereo to sit on seat, that doesn't interfere with the car and looks in keeping, as far as is practically possible :d