Robb
10 years ago
:lol:

you know me too well......I tried to just leave the steering column as is, but the paint started bothering me, so out it came, but then you have to repaint the indicator stalk too, then the handbrake, then the gearstick, seat brace, pedals............argh! :omg:

beefykeefy
10 years ago

:lol:

you know me too well......I tried to just leave the steering column as is, but the paint started bothering me, so out it came, but then you have to repaint the indicator stalk too, then the handbrake, then the gearstick, seat brace, pedals............argh! :omg:

Originally Posted by: Robb 

:d

There's absolutely no harm in that approach - I just wish I had the time at the moment to fettle and fiddle on the car a bit more.

I guess that's part of the reason I'm thinking of selling up. I've barely done anything this year :omg: .... work/life balance is always tipping towards the work side of the scales....
beefykeefy
10 years ago
Right... to try and drag my backside into developing an interest in the car again, I overhauled another wheel...

Quite pleased with how this one turned out. This is my second one. I think it's helped rekindle a little interest, at least to spur me on into doing the remaining two :beer:

UserPostedImage 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Nice! These look vastly better than the silver wheels on later cars.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Old Blue
10 years ago

if your feeling depressed, heres my latest challenge......

before- 40k from new low mileage 72
UserPostedImage

after- it was broken on ebay
UserPostedImage

I plan to make it Alaska blue again

The top picture is of such an attractive car. What a shame it fell into the hands of the previous owner.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
beefykeefy
10 years ago

The top picture is of such an attractive car. What a shame it fell into the hands of the previous owner.

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

It's in good hands now, but it does make you think how and why it went so wrong...
Robb
10 years ago
new detailed wheels look great!

as far as the camo beetle is concerned, came down to money!

the previous owner put so much money into creating a gtv looker out of the blue bug, that he wanted all his money back when he came to sell it- so he broke the whole car!

the pan and shell turned up on ebay separately, and the guy I bought it off, got it back on the road.

perfect base- never been welded and is rust free!

going to Stanford hall keefy?
beefykeefy
10 years ago

new detailed wheels look great!

as far as the camo beetle is concerned, came down to money!

the previous owner put so much money into creating a gtv looker out of the blue bug, that he wanted all his money back when he came to sell it- so he broke the whole car!

the pan and shell turned up on ebay separately, and the guy I bought it off, got it back on the road.

perfect base- never been welded and is rust free!

going to Stanford hall keefy?

Fair play to the guy who got it running again. I (incorrectly) assumed someone had changed it deliberately :oops:

That seems even more bonkers of the previous bloke though, to put money, time and love into creating a car like that, and then breaking it :? I guess if you really need the money.... :shock:

Yes Robb, I'll be popping along to Stamford Hall. Haven't decided whether to bring the car though...
Old Blue
10 years ago

It's in good hands now, but it does make you think how and why it went so wrong...

Originally Posted by: beefykeefy 

Non stock people acquiring decent original stock cars that they shouldn't be allowed too!
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
10 years ago
Glad its in good hands. Too many would scoff, saying its only a seventies.

Robb
10 years ago

Fair play to the guy who got it running again. I (incorrectly) assumed someone had changed it deliberately :oops:

That seems even more bonkers of the previous bloke though, to put money, time and love into creating a car like that, and then breaking it :? I guess if you really need the money.... :shock:

Yes Robb, I'll be popping along to Stamford Hall. Haven't decided whether to bring the car though...

bring the car!

money talks I guess, but that's why I never sell any of my cars- couldn't face seeing them potentially ruined :lol:
fergusmalhoon
10 years ago

Right... to try and drag my backside into developing an interest in the car again, I overhauled another wheel...

Quite pleased with how this one turned out. This is my second one. I think it's helped rekindle a little interest, at least to spur me on into doing the remaining two :beer:

UserPostedImage 

Are those the vredsteins you mentioned previously?
beefykeefy
10 years ago

Are those the vredsteins you mentioned previously?

Originally Posted by: fergusmalhoon 

Yep.

:beer:
beefykeefy
9 years ago

Latest pics -

UserPostedImage

:?: Does that rear bumper look like it sits right?

After two years of being a lazy plonker, I decided to change the bumper irons around to sort the ''smiley'' rear bumper... (also, got a set of rear mudguards to spur me on :smile: )

As always, these simple jobs are not always so simple, and the silver paint on the back of the rear bumper has deteriorated a bit, plus the rear irons have opened up down the middle...

Where's best to get some new decent quality ones?

I reckon mine are original but the gap down the middle is pretty wide and it'd take a lot of work to fettle them back again.
beefykeefy
9 years ago
A good afternoon's work. Finally sorted out that rear bumper from a 'smiling' position...

Kept the original bumper irons in the end - Dean at 'Classic Car Revivals' near Baldock, split them at the spot welds, cleaned up the crud forcing them apart, and welded them back together again.

Also fitted some mudguards I've had loitering for a few months...

UserPostedImage 

pete67
9 years ago
great seeing your progress and the bug out and about again. Shes a beauty. Congrats
Robb
9 years ago
looking great mate!

glad you sorted that bumper out, its the simple things that make all the difference!

going to action? be good to get a 67 line up!
beefykeefy
9 years ago

looking great mate!

glad you sorted that bumper out, its the simple things that make all the difference!

going to action? be good to get a 67 line up!

Yep, glad I finally sorted it. Did it with a busted shoulder, so it took 3-4 times as long, but I got there with a little help from one of my kids...

Done Action twice (not camping), and not sure it was my bag. Kinda put off showing my car, after some chavvy types thought my running boards were play areas.

It would be great to get a 67 line up though, so it depends on who is going. I know Roy with his blue 67 has gone there a few times, and he's mentioned to me in the distant past about bringing mine along...
beefykeefy
9 years ago

MOT time and the car passed again with no advisories - I did have an issue outside the MOT centre though.

I normally get there a bit early as a habit, and double check lights, horn, indicators, fog lamps, wipers and window washer.

The window washer wasn't working - there was water in the bottle, but no pressure, because the little pipe from the spare wheel to the bottle was kaput at one end...

Luckily, I always carry a bicycle pump in the tool box, so I built up enough pressure for the test, but has anyone got one of these pipes, or know where I can get one from?

Thanks.

beefykeefy
8 years ago
Sadly, I'm at the point where my enthusiasm for old VW's has reached a new low - it's been on the wane for about 18 months and after that long, it's not going to come back... My Beetle did 100 miles last year, so I'm thinking it's time for it to go.

It flew through it's MOT last week. It's a nice little car, but not perfect, so if anyone's interested, let me know. I don't really want to advertise on VZi, as it'll no doubt be in danger of ending up with the modify crowd.

I'll take some pics and post a for sale ad at some point this week, and was thinking of asking £6500.00.