DarthMJH
13 years ago
Wanted: NOS or second hand original 3 fingered front valance for a 1959/60 beetle.

I have found a few pattern parts but would like the real thing.

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Mike
1960 Karmann Beetle Convertible
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Wanted: NOS or second hand original 3 fingered front valance for a 1959/60 beetle.

I have found a few pattern parts but would like the real thing.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

DarthMJH wrote:

Mike,

I think a '60 model should have a 4-finger valance, not the later 3-finger one.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
13 years ago
When would the three fingered valence have been used, if ever? Some say it was on the '59/'60 crossover, some say on '67 models. Both have pretty conclusive proof other wise.

Is it possiblle that Klokkernholm or whoever makes these wonderful panels has just made a combination on four and two fingers up? Easier to press, god knows. :wink:

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
My thinking has always been:

>'60, when the 30 horse gave way etc.

UserPostedImage

'60 to '67, when the later "short" bonnnet came in

UserPostedImage
William
DarthMJH
13 years ago
Thanks all for the prompt response.

My Karmann Beetle was made in 1960 and was restored before I bought it and I believe the front and rear valances were replaced with later ones.

On the front I currently have the same blue front valance that 54 Gertie posted with the 2 wholes either side. I think this is possibly wrong for my car as I looked at a totally original 1960 Beetle at Stanford Hall, and it had the same as the black clip that was pictured, in the post before.

Also the rear doesn't have the 4 fingers but I have managed to source one of those at Stanford Hall.

1960 turns out to be a difficult year as it seems to be a cut over year. It's got one year only gearbox mount and from what I have read on thesamba a one year only rear valance, due to the location of the gerabox.

Trying to find the correct front valance is proving difficult.

Mike

vw1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  vw4.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  vw5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Mike
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
The 3 finger version was definitely used from August 1960 for a while. Will do some digging to confirm what was used for the 60 MY.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
13 years ago

My Karmann Beetle was made in 1960 and was restored before I bought it and I believe the front and rear valances were replaced with later ones.

DarthMJH wrote:

Beautiful cabrio! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
DarthMJH
13 years ago

Beautiful cabrio! 😎

pre67vw wrote:

Thanks
Mike
DarthMJH
13 years ago
If anyone is interested here  is the link to the article concerning the 1960 only rear apron.

Not sure if the "special red dipstick" is true or not. I've never heard of it.

Mike
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
I almost forgot that I have a nice original '60 UK Beetle in my garage!!! However, the only two panels that have ever been replaced on this car are the front and rear valances- typical!!!

I trawled back though some of my pics. In 2007 I owned a completely untouched, 100% original RHD '60 built in Dec '59. It has a 4 finger valance.
DarthMJH
13 years ago
I've spent hours scouring the net looking at pictures of 1959, 1960 and 1961 Beetles and it looks like 1959 (Built) Beetles had 4 fingers, 1960 had 3 fingers and 1961 had 2 fingers. Maybe 3 fingers was a 1 year only valance. However I have seen a mixture, including 1960 Beetles having all 3 variations and even a 1961 having 4 fingers.

If I had a lot of hair I would be pulling it out now :?

I'm going to dig out the VW Birth Certificate I have for the car as I think it maybe a late 1960 car and this may have the 3 fingers. But VW may have just used what they had in the parts bin at the time of building the cars. I dont think I will ever know what the car came with. I need a :beer:

Mike
Mike
stickman
13 years ago
Just checked my bug built March 1960, and it has the 3 finger front valance.

To my knowledge it is the original one:wink:
DarthMJH
13 years ago
Thanks all for your replies. I think I will be going for the 3 fingered one.

Nows the tough job of trying to find an original /second hand one in the UK. Anyone got one for sale :d
Mike