54 Gertie
13 years ago
Just wanted to start a discussion about the differences in oval era front wings.

It is pretty easy to narrow a wing down to '52 - '58, but from then on I havent a clue.

Are there any differences? I could have sworn the headlamp bucket changed slightly...?

:idea:

William
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
13 years ago

It is pretty easy to narrow a wing down to '52 - '58

54 Gertie wrote:

You reckon!

There are still a lot of people out there that don't know more than one type of wing exists 53-57 and 60 (correct me if I'm wrong Rich) is a one year only wing.

Rich Oakley
13 years ago
It would appear that '58, '59 and '60 are all unique one year only wings.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

It would appear that '58, '59 and '60 are all unique one year only wings.

Rich Oakley wrote:

So, do you think that an "oval wing" is just that? No real changes during that period?

There are still a lot of people out there that don't know more than one type of wing exists 53-57 and 60 (correct me if I'm wrong Rich) is a one year only wing.

55Kab wrote:

Too true, the amount of wings you see as oval for sale, that clearly arent even from a few blurry photos.
William
Wingfondler
13 years ago

Just wanted to start a discussion about the differences in oval era front wings.

It is pretty easy to narrow a wing down to '52 - '58, but from then on I havent a clue.

Are there any differences? I could have sworn the headlamp bucket changed slightly...?

:idea:

54 Gertie wrote:

Now this is an interesting topic!
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
There are two distinctly different type of Oval wing and I believe there are variations of both of these. The first type was used from March 1953-July 1955 and is slightly wider, with a more pronounced headlamp 'hump' than the later Aug 1956- July 1957 type. Sometime in 1957, the headlamp bowl changed from being rounded to having a more angular profile at the back, with two indented vertical pressings. In Aug 1958, the pronounced 'kick' at the trailing edge of the wing (where it meets the running board) was made less pronounced and sometime in late 1959/early 1960, the metal wiring tube was dropped from the headlamp bowl.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Any idea on a date for these? Believed to be from an oval, that was rear ended some thirty years ago...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Any idea on a date for these? Believed to be from an oval, that was rear ended some thirty years ago...

54 Gertie wrote:

Let the fondling commence! :lol:

Swedish oval FWIW?
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Let the fondling commence! :lol:

Swedish oval FWIW?

tman wrote:

I think it was Swedish yes. Dont know if it makes any difference?

William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

they look like early Oval to me. Nice!
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Rich, that's great! :beer:

From your description of the headlight buckets being more rounded on earlier ones, I was pretty much positive they were at least pre Aug '55.

Got a matching pair too. 😎
William
58DDpanel
13 years ago

You reckon!

55Kab wrote:

yes,1960 is one year only. has semaphores(last year) but does not use the wiring tube that is metal.