Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Did anyone see the 'zwitter' for sale in the autojumble/traders area at Stonor?
A price in excess of £5k was being asked for this supposed 'barn find' :shock: .
It didn't appear to be what it purported to be IMHO.....

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Standard split
13 years ago

Did anyone see the 'zwitter' for sale in the autojumble/traders area at Stonor?
A price in excess of £5k was being asked for this supposed 'barn find' :shock: .
It didn't appear to be what it purported to be IMHO.....

Ovalbug wrote:

In what way – was it a botched oval :?:

Have you a pic:o
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

In what way – was it a botched oval :?:

Have you a pic:o

Standard split wrote:

Rear window/roof section graft going by the Frankenstein-type welding seam going across engine firewall :shock: /dash clip that appeared grafted in also.
Balljoint front beam/later chassis also (heater controls incorrect/rear springplates incorrect), chassis number on tunnel nothing like a zwitter.
Reckon it was a 60's car with a few early bits on it.

Just a bit surprised it was up for so much; as a homage to a zwitter (and described /priced as such), then ok; but at £5k? Come on....:twisted:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Standard split
13 years ago

Rear window/roof section graft going by the Frankenstein-type welding seam going across engine firewall :shock: /dash clip that appeared grafted in also.
Balljoint front beam/later chassis also (heater controls incorrect/rear springplates incorrect), chassis number on tunnel nothing like a zwitter.
Reckon it was a 60's car with a few early bits on it.

Just a bit surprised it was up for so much; as a homage to a zwitter (and described /priced as such), then ok; but at £5k? Come on....:twisted:

Ovalbug wrote:

There's a lot of fake (ex-early oval) Zwitters around I'm afraid. Remember the production run of Zwitters was very short.

This particular bodge is worth around £2k at the most, if you want something as a bit of a fun daily runner :evil:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

There's a lot of fake (ex-early oval) Zwitters around I'm afraid. Remember the production run of Zwitters was very short.

This particular bodge is worth around £2k at the most, if you want something as a bit of a fun daily runner :evil:

Standard split wrote:

I agree, think it might have been described as a standard too?
TBH the more I looked at it the more I became annoyed that it was not as described.
For sale at a VW show like Stonor, I find it hard to believe that the seller didn't know exactly what they had for sale......[-x
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Standard split
13 years ago

I agree, think it might have been described as a standard too?
TBH the more I looked at it the more I became annoyed that it was not as described.
For sale at a VW show like Stonor, I find it hard to believe that the seller didn't know exactly what they had for sale......[-x

Ovalbug wrote:

Sadly, there are some people who think that they have a real Zwitter, but they don't. These fakes get into circulation, placed by unscrupulous con merchants. The only real difference between an early oval and a Zwitter is the rear window, and of course the chassis number. What an easy way to make an oval sell for at least half as much more cash :evil: :evil:

Rhodrich
13 years ago
Did anyone spot the other fake RHD Standard Model Zwitter that was on a club stand? It had a very interesting array of parts (banana bumpers, nipple hubcaps, oval dash, bodyshell with deluxe headliner clips). The floorpan and doors were 56/57, so that's probably what it was based on....
Standard split
13 years ago
Rattletrap may be cut about a little – but at least he is the genuine article 😛

69project
13 years ago
the 5k zwitter(!) was indeed on what looked like a later pan plus it had dodgy recaro seats,me and pete had a good look round it and it was a real dog.it was in traders section but no one was really accepting responsibilty for it

maybe it was a joke?

the other one was better but still wrong

Car less.....
55Kab
13 years ago
Can anyone post any photos of these for those that couldn't inspect the butchery first hand... :wink:

lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago
We had a club stand opposite and we were staring at it most of the day...nobody bothered to take a picture.

Mind you it would have made a really good one earlier in the day, when the sticker price was £7k :lol:
John.
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

the 5k zwitter(!) was indeed on what looked like a later pan plus it had dodgy recaro seats,me and pete had a good look round it and it was a real dog.it was in traders section but no one was really accepting responsibilty for it

maybe it was a joke?

69project wrote:

I don't think it was a joke sadly, the placard said something like "standard zwitter from my barn, overs over £5000" :shock: .
As I was looking at it another bloke and his Mrs began opening the engine lid etc and so being nosy I chipped in and said that it wasn't what it looked like really....
Before long we had a whole list of faults that left us in no doubt it wasn't a real zwitter, and I was really getting a bit uptight that someone was trying to possibly fleece another person in the VW scene....
Half-expected the seller to appear at any minute and tell us to go forth etc :lol: , I posted this thread as was surprised no-one else had :lol: .
Wonder if it found a home, hope it didn't at that price though.
Think I took one or two pics of it will check later when home.....:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

We had a club stand opposite and we were staring at it most of the day...nobody bothered to take a picture.

Mind you it would have made a really good one earlier in the day, when the sticker price was £7k :lol:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Are you serious about the 7k? :shock: :shock: :lol:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

Are you serious about the 7k? :shock: :shock: :lol:

Ovalbug wrote:

I didn't notice it myself but Dave Cantle said it had been marked down £2k...seriously.:?
John.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Had a good look over it. Mid/late 60s chassis, late Oval body shell with a few early features grafted in.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago
Well, it turns out I only took one pic, think mainly due to not wanting to be lynched by the cars owner who I suspected was going to appear from nowhere at any minute...:lol: :lol:

UserPostedImage

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
55Kab
13 years ago

Well, it turns out I only took one pic, think mainly due to not wanting to be lynched by the cars owner who I suspected was going to appear from nowhere at any minute...:lol: :lol:

Ovalbug wrote:

Tks for the pic. Well I guess the owner could have genuinely thought it was a Zwitter...:?: :?:

54 Gertie
13 years ago

Tks for the pic. Well I guess the owner could have genuinely thought it was a Zwitter...:?: :?:

55Kab wrote:

I was going to start a conversation along the lines of "so, what year is it then?" with the bloke that was showing someone around it, but thought better of it.

Im bored of trying to convince traders of things, I spent a few minutes trying to tell one trader why his split bus headlight switch wont work in my beetle. :lol:
William
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

I was going to start a conversation along the lines of "so, what year is it then?" with the bloke that was showing someone around it, but thought better of it.

Im bored of trying to convince traders of things, I spent a few minutes trying to tell one trader why his split bus headlight switch wont work in my beetle. :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

So you think that the seller really thought it was a zwitter? :!:
In which case perhaps they should introduce some type of competence testing for people who trade at shows :lol: .
Apart from the massive seam-weld across the engine firewall showing where some bodgery had been undertaken the edges of the roof gutters at the front of the car weren't even straight, which made me think that Stevie Wonder had been at work......

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
48REME
13 years ago
Funny...it looks like the oval Bob Shaill was trying to pass as a Standard RHD Zwitter in the late 80s! MTA something... Richard O, you must know it?