Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hi,
Are there any online resources or books that deal with restoring/rebuilding the 25 bhp 1131cc engine?
I've come across the VW Trends (or whatever it was :lol: ) articles about rebuilding a 30bhp and as I'm turning my thoughts to getting an engine sorted for my oval thought I'd better start researching.....
I've rebuilt a much later Beetle engine before, but the quirks of these early engines (like no replaceable camshaft bearings for example) means that I'm worried about correctly identifying if the case etc of my cars original 25bhp engine will be good enough to be re-used?

Thanks.

:wink:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
13 years ago
As far as rebuilding is concerned the specs and checks are the same .I am sure you know the differences between the 2 engines but bearing dimensions are the same.The cam bore just needs measuring as do the mains .I wouls advise you pull the plugs on the oil galleries for cleaning as i gaurentee they will be full of crud.

Mike
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

As far as rebuilding is concerned the specs and checks are the same .I am sure you know the differences between the 2 engines but bearing dimensions are the same.The cam bore just needs measuring as do the mains .I wouls advise you pull the plugs on the oil galleries for cleaning as i gaurentee they will be full of crud.

Mike

Sunroof53 wrote:

Thanks Mike, the thing that really worries me tbh is finding that the original engine (which exists as a seized lump...don't know why it seized though, think partially due to exposure in a barn for 20 years!) cannot have the case re-used due to wear etc...
Is it possible to get the case machined for example, to fit replaceable cam bearings so that an otherwise scrap case can be given a new lease of life?
Am desperate to use the correct September '53 case as its the factory engine, also have April '53 and March '47 cases but using either just won't be the same......

Cheers

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Unfortunatly the case cannot be machined for inserts ,its only the early 40hp engine that can.The only way around the problem is to machine the case halfs .I have the limits to do this as it was done by VW .The problem is finding someone to do it and the cost.Dismatling a seized rusty or seized through heat engine can be time consuming thing.I had one which i used a 9" grinder to cut through the barrels and pistons as i only wanted the case .You could soak it in deisel for a few days if you want to save the barrels/con rods for repair .If the engine still has oil in it ,it may be free from corrosion as that is the one thing that kills these cases,Especially around the sump plate area.
I will post a pic from a Vw manual showing the case half maching limits.I posted it on the samba recently for a similar topic.

Mike.
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Here you go.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago
Many thanks Mike :beer: , looks as if there is hope then, as long as everything isn't too worn.....
Soaking the old engine in diesel was all part of the grand plan :d , luckily there doesn't appear to be any corrosion as have seen what can happen when these engines are exposed to wet vegetation for long periods of time :cry: .

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Thanks Mike, the thing that really worries me tbh is finding that the original engine (which exists as a seized lump...don't know why it seized though, think partially due to exposure in a barn for 20 years!) cannot have the case re-used due to wear etc...
Is it possible to get the case machined for example, to fit replaceable cam bearings so that an otherwise scrap case can be given a new lease of life?
Am desperate to use the correct September '53 case as its the factory engine, also have April '53 and March '47 cases but using either just won't be the same......

Cheers

Ovalbug wrote:

When are you going to sell me that March '47 case? :wink: I need a spare!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

When are you going to sell me that March '47 case? :wink: I need a spare!

Rich Oakley wrote:

At a point in the future when vintage VW parts have become so valuable its worth thousands and thousands :lol: :lol: .
Seriously though, once I'm at a stage where I know what I'll be doing with all of my 25bhp engines the surplus bits from the '47 engine will be disposed of.....
On a slightly different tack, there was a thread on Volksmoan last night about the same topic ie 25bhp rebuilds and Laurie Pettitt posted that an old-school machine shop (if you can find one....) can bore-out the case to allow replaceable cam bearings etc to be fitted, which gives me hope.

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Sunroof53
13 years ago

On a slightly different tack, there was a thread on Volksmoan last night about the same topic ie 25bhp rebuilds and Laurie Pettitt posted that an old-school machine shop (if you can find one....) can bore-out the case to allow replaceable cam bearings etc to be fitted, which gives me hope.

Ovalbug wrote:

Here is the same subject on the Samba,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4577136&highlight=#4577136 
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

Here is the same subject on the Samba,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4577136&highlight=#4577136 

Sunroof53 wrote:

Thanks again Mike, though after reading that am more confused than ever :lol: :lol: :lol: .
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
69project
13 years ago
will watch this thread with interest as my 25hp is now out on the bench,its moves freely enough but the valve springs havent all returned to same position so maybe thats why its been in a barn since 73!(only 36k on the clock though!)
Car less.....
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

will watch this thread with interest as my 25hp is now out on the bench,its moves freely enough but the valve springs havent all returned to same position so maybe thats why its been in a barn since 73!(only 36k on the clock though!)

69project wrote:

Can't you strip yours down and post some pics.....
At least I will have an idea then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
69project
13 years ago
im not personally going to do it(wouldnt have a clue:cry: ) but when it starts i can post pics for you
Car less.....
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
13 years ago

im not personally going to do it(wouldnt have a clue:cry: ) but when it starts i can post pics for you

69project wrote:

Any pics welcome :beer: .
It might be a while before my engines get stripped-down ( too much work,too many projects and not enough spare time etc:cry: ) but when they do they will be photographed and I'll start another thread......:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD