pre67vw
13 years ago

Post 67 beetles lost more than sloping headlamps.the bonnet and engine lid became shorter,bumpers got bigger and 12v electrics became the standard(except on base models).that to me is when they lost the original look.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Yep, I agree... :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
harveypj
13 years ago

The problem with this view is why are we subscribing to a VW site that has a cut-off point of 1967?

Standard split wrote:

Because we are the hardcore VW nerds that appreciate the earlier models.

By the way,all this talk about upright headlights... didn't the first VW prototype have upright headlights in 1936, the VW30. So technicaly the sloping lights were a later development.

Stock......the new custom
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

OK, so if we can't have 'Vintage' then what is the term that describes early period correct and stock cars? Cos to me, that's what 'Vintage' means.

When you say 'Cal-look' that describes a VW lowered at the front, dechromed with big engine. When you say 'Resto-cal' it describes a mostly stock car, lowered on shiny wheels and usually lots of accessories. When you say 'Baja' its a raised up off-roader.

When you say 'Vintage' it nicely describes an early car, not necessarily stock (it can include old-speed, accessories, whitewalls, coachbuilt and military). If your car is Vintage then I'm going to start calling mine a Baja - it has most of the parts of a Baja (except some of the fibreglass bits, rollcage and spot lights) :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

:lol:

what makes my car Vintage is the fact it's 55 years old.....nothing to do with the style.

That said, I'm going to coin a new term now.....perhaps it's a "Vintage Resto-Cal" :!: :beer:
GKL 7
13 years ago

:lol:

what makes my car Vintage is the fact it's 55 years old.....nothing to do with the style.

That said, I'm going to coin a new term now.....perhaps it's a "Vintage Resto-Cal" :!: :beer:

55Kab wrote:

A vintage resto-cal that you are not nearly showing us enough of Martin.
I'm sure you could post some pics up for us.
How far off are you from getting it to Steve Hudson,when that roof goes on you will really feel you have "turned the corner".
Pics Please.....
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

A vintage resto-cal that you are not nearly showing us enough of Martin.
I'm sure you could post some pics up for us.
How far off are you from getting it to Steve Hudson,when that roof goes on you will really feel you have "turned the corner".
Pics Please.....

'50 Karmann wrote:

It's getting there. I'll have a look through my stock or stockish :oops: latest pics and post some up on the thread I started in resto projects.

Closing in on Steve and should go to him end of August. She'll be back on all 4 wheels by then and will have the majority of the wiring completed so I know I'll be on the home straight once the top is done.