69project
2010-07-28T20:47:06Z
glum today,not talked much abt the old girl since i picked her up in march as the beam is slightly different and i dont like to offend....[-x

the good side of things is that we have had to do no welding....at all!the bodywork is very patina but the floors and everything else was perfect

the wiring had to be updated up front and a bit at the back as it was beyond repair but after a few downdays and waiting for packages from farflung places all electrics now work

the brakes have all been updated to oval as split parts were just too expensive

other stuff has gone wrong and then the gloom begins...

1.all ready to fire up 25hp when we take off rocker covers and find that valves have not all reseated correctly so even though engine turns freely it needs a rebuild...:x

2.source an engine from fuzzyduck to get me going and although the carb leaked a bit we got the thing started and then we tried to get it to engage a gear...nothing,it will change into any gear but no drive.the wheels do not lock so obviously something is amiss inside box...

getting a box from fuzzy again 2mrw,i joked that i may as well take box when engine was collected so its sods law i suppose

so close to being finished,the mot was even booked for friday

gutted :cry:


on the good side of thng its so close to being done,is amazing and ive sourced lots of nos parts and accessories so it certainly the part

ive also kept every and i mean every single thing i removed from car down to crap old wires to knackered heater boxes as its part of the beast


si
Car less.....
Sponsor


(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
mrsherbie
2010-07-29T11:20:57Z
69project wrote:

ive also kept every and i mean every single thing i removed from car down to crap old wires
si



Yes I have hidden that same old used frayed rotten cloth wiring so he does'nt throw it out :lol:

Fitting an Oval gearbox and any later engine to use the car is hardly a crime when you have the 25hp and crashbox stashed anyway.
To be honest anything that gets it along the road is good enough! Throw correctness to the wind for a while, in this weather the smiles for miles are far more valuable!

My 50 loves its almost nos 34hp! and so do I! :d




"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Ovaltine
2010-07-29T14:54:29Z
mrsherbie wrote:

Yes I have hidden that same old used frayed rotten cloth wiring so he does'nt throw it out :lol:

Fitting an Oval gearbox and any later engine to use the car is hardly a crime when you have the 25hp and crashbox stashed anyway.
To be honest anything that gets it along the road is good enough! Throw correctness to the wind for a while, in this weather the smiles for miles are far more valuable!

My 50 loves its almost nos 34hp! and so do I! :d



Too right! What the hell, its a great looking car and if its at Lavenham who cares what's making it go:d

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
69project
2010-07-29T20:52:17Z
thanks,was having a down day ydy

just removed gearbox from donor car and it serial starts with 666 which could be devilish!

hopefully get it fitted 2mrw


Car less.....
54 Gertie
2010-07-29T21:36:46Z
As nice as a 'correct' engine is, I see no problem in running a later unit. Not like you chucked the OG one into the scrap metal bin and fitted a 1641 with chrome pulley covers.

Post up some photos, the patina on it was great. 😎
William
55Kab
2010-07-30T07:14:57Z
Ovaltine wrote:

if its at Lavenham who cares what's making it go:d



Bet you don't say that about a 55 Cabrio with a 2161 fitted! :lol:

55Kab
2010-07-30T07:17:43Z
69project wrote:

not talked much abt the old girl since i picked her up in march as the beam is slightly different and i dont like to offend....



Forget all that rubbish, there's been too much of it recently.

Just post up some pics and keep 'em coming. A 51 is a 51 irrespective of what beam is on it. :beer:

Ovaltine
2010-07-30T12:23:55Z
55Kab wrote:

Bet you don't say that about a 55 Cabrio with a 2161 fitted! :lol:


A 55 Cabrio is a jewel to behold whatever makes it run, be nice to see that at Lavenham as well as the splits :wink:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
69project
2010-07-30T21:11:37Z
pics next week then if allowed,its more vintage than restowagen...

good news today found that it was clutch that was the issue so it now moves!

mot on monday!!!!!!!!!!!

Car less.....
55Kab
2010-07-30T22:25:00Z
Ovaltine wrote:

A 55 Cabrio is a jewel to behold whatever makes it run, be nice to see that at Lavenham as well as the splits :wink:



Not according to some numpties on the Samba BC thread :!: :roll:

55Kab
2010-07-30T22:26:04Z
69project wrote:

pics next week then if allowed,its more vintage than restowagen...



Of course it's allowed, post 'em up...


Fuzzy
2010-07-30T22:31:19Z
69project wrote:



just removed gearbox from donor car and it serial starts with 666 which could be devilish!

hopefully get it fitted 2mrw



:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol:
69project
2010-08-03T20:37:25Z
turns out that clutch plate was knackered!

i now have an mot!

few issues to sort including carb and a window lifter channel needed

hope to get used to brakes and gearbox n the next few weeks
Car less.....
GKL 7
2010-08-03T22:33:08Z
C'mon Si
GKL 7 attached the following image(s):
69project
2010-08-04T17:24:40Z
will add pics when i get home later

carb issue sorted,managed to locate a nos in the box solex 28pci today!it was only 5 mins from where the car is stored and i must say its one of the most nicest things ive sourced

was meant to bring it home today,then it rained...
Car less.....
69project
2010-08-04T20:28:22Z
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

i know its not strictly stock now but i do feel its kind of old school type of feel


Car less.....
GKL 7
2010-08-04T21:06:13Z
Si,has the car ever been repainted or is the paint original,and is it just the one front wing that is non original and has it been welded and do you want to sell it:lol:
I like that.
69project
2010-08-05T21:07:33Z
Originally Posted by: ' 

Si,has the car ever been repainted or is the paint original,and is it just the one front wing that is non original and has it been welded and do you want to sell it:lol:
I like that.



the paint is the original,no resprays here!

the front wing is the only non original part as it must have had a little dink at some stage

no welding here....ever!

just drove it home and the carb needs a little bit more tweaking as its popping a bit,the gears...unsure yet as they are hard work

sell it,only to serious people with lots of cash :shock:
Car less.....
GKL 7
2010-08-05T21:20:08Z
Si,you need to free up some space in your inbox(pm)
69project
2010-08-05T21:41:52Z
done now,lol!

its sitting an inch of so lower at the front now so the rear camber is now sorted
Car less.....
Similar Topics
Users browsing this topic