monstermoo
13 years ago
After getting the peddle assembly cleaned and re-painted in our RHD 60, we struggled for what seemed forever to get the peddles back in and the damn clutch cable eyelet hooked onto the clutch peddle.

We had no luck in freeing the wing nut at the other end by the way, so we couldn't pull the cable through in the cabin.

Eventually we succeeded, and after fixing everything into place we pushed down on the clutch peddle and BANG! We checked the cable at the back end - still connected to the clutch release arm and it still seemed to operate, so we tried to drive the bug out of the garage - grinding gears and no way of getting it into reverse :cry:

Now we're faced with having to take the clutch out and hopefully find whatever it is that's gone wrong - and we may as well fit a new one while we're at it.

Can anyone tell me what clutch assembly I need for a standard 30hp motor?
Is is 180mm or 200mm and is that with or without pad? (Whatever that is!)

Also, any other suggestions at what could have gone wrong here are welcome:d

Thanks

Steve
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
When this happened to me it turned out to be the two little clips that hold the release bearing in place.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
monstermoo
13 years ago

When this happened to me it turned out to be the two little clips that hold the release bearing in place.

pre67vw wrote:

That is something that we thought might be the problem - sooo frustrating that something so small needs the engine and clutch out to replace :evil: Did you find that the clips had sheared off, or come loose?
pre67vw
13 years ago
Mine had just come loose, yep it's a pain. I dropped the engine down but didn't remove it from under the car (kept it on the jack). I'd bought new clips just in case they had broken so replaced them anyway, then put the engine back in. You can also buy heavy duty clips, they have a loop in them instead of being just a 'C' shape - they don't look to me like they'd make any difference at all, but they might.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
monstermoo
13 years ago
That's good to know - thanks for the advice :beer: