blearsr
13 years ago
Hi,

just purchased today, a '66 for my wife.

The whole thing seems solid but I have no illusions and I'm expecting some work!

Lots of receipts showing replacement panels, inner wings all round etc, floor panel looks great, paint is in shcocking condition and its been de-chromed :? , engine started first turn of the key, no plumes of blue smoke, seems to drive and stop ok too.

I have heaps of questions and I look forward to posting pictures when I get the car home.

Anyone replaced rain gutters on a 66, this one has been de guttered and was thinking of reinstating them.

Glad I have found a specific forum here at pre67vw.com

Thanks

Richard

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Anyone replaced rain gutters on a 66, this one has been de guttered and was thinking of reinstating them.

blearsr wrote:

Ouch! That will take some doing.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
13 years ago

blearsr wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Initial thought was that it's not going to be possible, but then I was thinking that if you had some gutters from another car you could maybe graft them back in. One hell of a lot of work though...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
harveypj
13 years ago

Welcome to the forum!

Initial thought was that it's not going to be possible, but then I was thinking that if you had some gutters from another car you could maybe graft them back in. One hell of a lot of work though...

pre67vw wrote:

It would probably be easier to leave the gutters on the doner car and swap all the other bits across from the 66.:lol:

I know small sections can be grafted in to eradicate rotted bits, so it may be possible,
not heard of a complete gutter replacement before, but as Rob says would be a HELL of a lot of work.
Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Welcome, gutters are not too hard as long as you leave the seam alone. So it is doable, but not worth the hassle in my opinion. Unless the car is particularly rare, which it is not, it's a '66.
William
harveypj
13 years ago

Welcome, gutters are not too hard as long as you leave the seam alone. So it is doable, but not worth the hassle in my opinion. Unless the car is particularly rare, which it is not, it's a '66.

54 Gertie wrote:

I thought the gutters are the seam:?:

Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
13 years ago

I thought the gutters are the seam:?:

harveypj wrote:

Yes, im saying if you weld either side, and leave the original seam from the donor panel it should be okay. ie, do not peel apart the seam and try to re-make it.

Sorry, I wasn't at all clear, and im probably still not. :lol:

William
mrsherbie
13 years ago
Hi!

but.. ouch, I have never heard of anyone replacing entire gutters, I dont think you could get it looking absolutely correct but maybe it would be worth trying but for me, only on an oval or split or something rare as already said above . Gutters are a key factor for me buying a car as everything else is do-able.
I would sell on or chop the car up and save all the parts and metal, and buy another 66 with gutters, but thats probably not what you want to hear really!

Good luck with it all though!

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Welcome!

But as posted above, I wouldn't even attempt to try and replace the entire gutters on Beetle. Start with a donor shell- it will be much easier, cost you far less in time and welding wire and there will be less tears.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Hi Richard,

As others have said this would be alot of work but I reckon a very good body man could graft in complete gutter sections from a donor car, you would have to cut above and below the gutter and do it in 3 or more sections or the roof would just collapse in, the roof swage line could be used as a reference point.

Looking forward to seeing the pics :d

Kev