ianmac
13 years ago
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=666394 

looks like a deal. someone please save it before the volkszone mafia buy it and wreck it :roll:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
13 years ago

looks like a deal. someone please save it before the volkszone mafia buy it and wreck it :roll:

ianmac wrote:

Why hello, Im the 'Volkszone Expert'. :wink:

I didn't say it wasn't a sweet deal, Im just asking questions...In fact I was saying not one hour ago something along the lines of it's worth the money, just not to us.
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Also, am I wrong? About the lights and the door..? :wink:
William
69project
13 years ago
remember this is the sensible side....

seems to be a lot of early rhd cars coming out of the woodwork lately doesnt there

car has a nice history/story and i would love to have it in my garage

Car less.....
RoRoVw
13 years ago
I've known this car for many years.
I wonder where its original registration number has gone!?
54 Gertie
13 years ago

remember this is the sensible side....

seems to be a lot of early rhd cars coming out of the woodwork lately doesnt there

car has a nice history/story and i would love to have it in my garage

69project wrote:

Things like the dealer sticker are just fantastic, the black '55 RHD with it's 'Bengry Bro's' one was a work of art. 😎
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Such a shame the original plate (TTB 9) was removed a few weeks ago. This car has been in hiding in Yorkshire for many years and re-appeared back in June.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
64rotbox
13 years ago

ianmac wrote:

Looks like it's too late already. Here come the earlies.
You can call me Al.
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Such a shame the original plate (TTB 9) was removed a few weeks ago. This car has been in hiding in Yorkshire for many years and re-appeared back in June.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I remember seeing this car around at shows years ago, lovely early DeLuxe Oval, but the car had the misfortune of having a plate worth as much as the car at that time. This is the second Oval to appear on the forums recently that had a valuable single digit plate only to lose it (UK oval 'Barnfind' - They are still out there... brown Oval reg VMB 1):evil:.

The problem with this nice blue 54 is that the DVLA have not given it a correct age related plate, now 299 XUX. 1954 registrations had the letters before the numbers. They were switched round about 1960.:wink: I'd loved this car but the registration muddle and pattern wings are a distraction:(

There is a letter written in the present Volksworld from the son of the previous owner of brown Oval VMB 1 saying the number was sold off years ago.
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
62 deluxe
13 years ago
Ok, lets set the record straight. The story is correct. The original number was TTB 9. Did I get the original number as part of the sale only to sell it on? No. What I got (and what I wanted) was a nice 54 oval. It's plate was on retention (I did not realise at the time it was the original plate - thought it may have been an earlier one) but i was ecstatic to get the bug. So, I applied for an age related plate to the DVLA and specified I wanted a 54 plate. 299 XUX is what I got. I would have liked the original plate, but I wanted the oval and that was all that mattered. Who knows where TTB 9 is? Frankly, I don't care, it's only the ridiculous vain obsession of people who are probably inadequate in some way, having to have their initials on their car, that has driven number plates from being a simple identity mark for a vehicle to some form of status symbol:roll:

The real sadness with the whole situation is that just as I get the oval i have desired for years, I realise that my love of VW's is causing a rift in the real loves of my life - my family. Having spent seven years restoring my '63 and spending time on the bug when i should have been playing with my kids and hearing that back from them is a bitter pill to swallow. So to enjoy the scene with my kids before they hit teenage years my wife suggested we sell a beetle and buy a camper. My '63 will only leave me when I leave this mortal coil, so with deep regret the 54 is for sale, to someone who will cherish it in it's current form. If I get even a hint of twin carbs, I'm out of there!

Ovalbug
13 years ago

Ok, lets set the record straight. The story is correct. The original number was TTB 9. Did I get the original number as part of the sale only to sell it on? No. What I got (and what I wanted) was a nice 54 oval. It's plate was on retention (I did not realise at the time it was the original plate - thought it may have been an earlier one) but i was ecstatic to get the bug. So, I applied for an age related plate to the DVLA and specified I wanted a 54 plate. 299 XUX is what I got. I would have liked the original plate, but I wanted the oval and that was all that mattered. Who knows where TTB 9 is? Frankly, I don't care, it's only the ridiculous vain obsession of people who are probably inadequate in some way, having to have their initials on their car, that has driven number plates from being a simple identity mark for a vehicle to some form of status symbol:roll:

The real sadness with the whole situation is that just as I get the oval i have desired for years, I realise that my love of VW's is causing a rift in the real loves of my life - my family. Having spent seven years restoring my '63 and spending time on the bug when i should have been playing with my kids and hearing that back from them is a bitter pill to swallow. So to enjoy the scene with my kids before they hit teenage years my wife suggested we sell a beetle and buy a camper. My '63 will only leave me when I leave this mortal coil, so with deep regret the 54 is for sale, to someone who will cherish it in it's current form. If I get even a hint of twin carbs, I'm out of there!

62 deluxe wrote:

Lets hope the right person buys your oval :d .
Have to say though that I find the story behind it very sad :cry: .
It survives 56 or so years intact only to have its original number sold off (in 2010?) for profit :evil: .
Yes I appreciate it wasn't your doing, but to strip an original UK-sold car of its original number is a massive crime in my book 😳 .
It's not as if the car were an import, where it would have to have an age-related plate anyway, the original plate forms a big part of the cars history etc etc.
That replacement plate will always stick out like a sore thumb, but its still looks like a lovely old Beetle and perhaps we should be grateful that it has survived at all........

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
beefykeefy
13 years ago

ianmac wrote:

Ditto..

Good luck with the sale but let's hope it doesn't get sold to a numpty :oops:
62 deluxe
13 years ago

Lets hope the right person buys your oval :d .
Have to say though that I find the story behind it very sad :cry: .
It survives 56 or so years intact only to have its original number sold off (in 2010?) for profit :evil: .
Yes I appreciate it wasn't your doing, but to strip an original UK-sold car of its original number is a massive crime in my book 😳 .
It's not as if the car were an import, where it would have to have an age-related plate anyway, the original plate forms a big part of the cars history etc etc.
That replacement plate will always stick out like a sore thumb, but its still looks like a lovely old Beetle and perhaps we should be grateful that it has survived at all........

:wink:

Ovalbug wrote:

Thanks Ovalbug. I should have said that when I was chasing the oval, someone else had also got wind of it and had I not been persistent in the fact that if I got it I would not change it, it would now be lower, fitted with a cage and a big motor and all of it's originality would have gone in one fell swoop (no doubt justified that for long term preservation the heater channels need doing, so why not then modify.....):( .

What really disheartens me, however is not only am i in a position that I have to sell it, I now have a range of comments across vw forums about the oval by people who have no intention of buying it and have not seen it in the flesh (or at least not for twenty years):roll: . The car has obviously been driven on the road for 68000 miles and has lived a life in the North of England, not in a cocoon. I am afraid this negativity will ultimately affect my ability to sell it to someone who wants to cherish it as much as I have.:cry:
62 deluxe
13 years ago
Well, I am happy to inform you all that the oval has been sold to someone who will keep it as VW intended, a nice stock car. It will not be staying in this country, as it's new home is sunny LA. I am glad about this, as seeing the oval at UK shows would always remind me of how much i will miss it :cry:
55Kab
13 years ago

It will not be staying in this country, as it's new home is sunny LA. I am glad about this

62 deluxe wrote:

I'm not Jon as I'd like to see UK cars stay in the UK but at least it sounds like it's going to a good home.

Can you tell us who the new owner is? Just wondered if it's anyone we know...

mrsherbie
13 years ago

I realise that my love of VW's is causing a rift in the real loves of my life - my family. Having spent seven years restoring my '63 and spending time on the bug when i should have been playing with my kids and hearing that back from them is a bitter pill to swallow. So to enjoy the scene with my kids before they hit teenage years my wife suggested we sell a beetle and buy a camper.

62 deluxe wrote:

You have done the right thing, your whole family are going to really enjoy having a camper. The thing that makes any old vehicle extra special is the memories and good times you have with it. Our bus would be the last thing to leave the garage, regardless of how much I love our beetles.
You have a lot of great family times ahead...and still in an old vw! :d :beer:

seeing the oval at UK shows would always remind me of how much i will miss it :cry:

62 deluxe wrote:

And as someone told me, move on, never look back, because an even better car will always come along in the future. And its true.

It looks a fab car to me, plate or not. Lets be honest, that plate would have been VERY (virtually impossible) lucky to have stayed with the car, there are FAR more people who would have wanted that plate than the beetle. Thats just life.

I can see why it sold so fast. And I agree, happy to see it head to dryer climes.

And 'Lots of comments', negative or positive on a car for sale thread always mean that a car is interesting/desirable :wink:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
62 deluxe
13 years ago

I'm not Jon as I'd like to see UK cars stay in the UK but at least it sounds like it's going to a good home.

Can you tell us who the new owner is? Just wondered if it's anyone we know...

55Kab wrote:

Sadly no one else thought that or they would have put their money where their mouth was and I have had plenty of 'very interested' people who have then gone quiet. Yes it's one less uk car, but at least the climate and value of ovals in the US will be in it's favour. The new owner has just sold his early split window bug so the oval will be filling it's space in his garage. I will let him announce his new car!
62 deluxe
13 years ago

You have done the right thing, your whole family are going to really enjoy having a camper. The thing that makes any old vehicle extra special is the memories and good times you have with it. Our bus would be the last thing to leave the garage, regardless of how much I love our beetles.
You have a lot of great family times ahead...and still in an old vw! :d :beer:

And as someone told me, move on, never look back, because an even better car will always come along in the future. And its true.

It looks a fab car to me, plate or not. Lets be honest, that plate would have been VERY (virtually impossible) lucky to have stayed with the car, there are FAR more people who would have wanted that plate than the beetle. Thats just life.

I can see why it sold so fast. And I agree, happy to see it head to dryer climes.

And 'Lots of comments', negative or positive on a car for sale thread always mean that a car is interesting/desirable :wink:

mrsherbie wrote:

Cheers Mr Sherbie. Now, the whole plate business is entirely irrelevant as it will be wearing yellow on black early cal plates:wink:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Cheers Mr Sherbie. Now, the whole plate business is entirely irrelevant as it will be wearing yellow on black early cal plates:wink:

62 deluxe wrote:

Mister Sherbie? :shock:

Who´d a thought? :lol:
(I think using Crystaltips and Alistair as an avatar may be a slight giveaway...)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
62 deluxe
13 years ago

Mister Sherbie? :shock:

Who´d a thought? :lol:
(I think using Crystaltips and Alistair as an avatar may be a slight giveaway...)

JD wrote:

:oops: Ha Ha, it's been a long day! I was looking at crystal tips and thinking sherbie, sherbert, white powder.........

Sorry mrs herbie:wink: