JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
I was wondering why Porsche carried on using 16" wheels after VW had stopped. Was it because they were using early radial tyres and didnĀ“t want to mess up the gearing with a smaller diameter wheel/tyre combo? Anyone know what OEM tyres were on 356s in these years? Radial or Crossply?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Bjoern
13 years ago
Porsche used 16"-wheels for all pre-A-cars, that was in 1955. Similar to the Barndoor-Busses....

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
13 years ago

Porsche used 16"-wheels for all pre-A-cars, that was in 1955. Similar to the Barndoor-Busses....

UserPostedImage

Bjoern wrote:

Thanks Bjoern. I was really wondering why though? Were they using radial tyres even then?
UserPostedImage
Bjoern
13 years ago

Thanks Bjoern. I was really wondering why though? Were they using radial tyres even then?

JD wrote:

Maybe in reason of the oval holes all Porsche had up to 1951 for cooling the breaks. Lemmertz, KPZ and Co. didn't finished the new tools in time or Porsche had a contract to order (and use) minimum 100000 of the Porsche wheels.Sometimes it could be also the costs of a new technical provemant for using new wheels for an producing model.
JD
  • JD
13 years ago
Thanks again Bjoern!:thumbup:

Do you happen to know what tyres they were using? Radials from new, or did they come with crossplies?
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
13 years ago
Looking at og brochure photos 356Bs are clearly wearing crossplies into '62. But a carrera 2 new in late 62 is clearly wearing radials, from then on I can only see radials.

I really have no real idea though! I am just looking through og pics. But certainly A's (the whole of the 50's years) were definitely on crossplies.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
JD
  • JD
13 years ago

Looking at og brochure photos 356Bs are clearly wearing crossplies into '62. But a carrera 2 new in late 62 is clearly wearing radials, from then on I can only see radials.

I really have no real idea though! I am just looking through og pics. But certainly A's (the whole of the 50's years) were definitely on crossplies.

mrsherbie wrote:

Hi! Where you been?

Thats interesting to know. Maybe they were offered as an option from around 62 then? Never on 16"s at any rate. Ta muchly.
UserPostedImage