DarthMJH
13 years ago
Another question from me.

I'm currently restoring my 1960 Beetle and have found that I have odd rear wings. Unfortunately I have no pictures, but can only describe them. On one side from the rear to the side the sweep/angle is very curved like a 45 degree angle whereas the other side is quite flat and then sweeps almost at a 90 degree angle. Which is correct for my year of car ?

I apologise if my description isn't great :?

Thanks for looking.

Mike
1960 Karmann Beetle Convertible
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
13 years ago

Another question from me.

I'm currently restoring my 1960 Beetle and have found that I have odd rear wings. Unfortunately I have no pictures, but can only describe them. On one side from the rear to the side the sweep/angle is very curved like a 45 degree angle whereas the other side is quite flat and then sweeps almost at a 90 degree angle. Which is correct for my year of car ?

I apologise if my description isn't great :?

Thanks for looking.

DarthMJH wrote:

I know exactly what you mean, unfortunatley unless you can find two Nos wings its a case of buying two matching ones.The chances are that unless you know the cars history both wings could be repro,s.The last pair i bought(for my 66) were from heritage and despite having to send them back 3 times due to damage they were a reasonable fit and quality for the money.They do also have the correct indentations on the mounting flange ,have good alignment although the bend radius were the beading sits is a little large compared to a genuine one and the first 3"or so up from the running board is a little too straght so some tweeking is required.
Another reason for the excessive curve could be damage ,if the wing was pushed in and then bent out again for the repair a similar thing happens.My oval has the same issue and every wing i have is different .

Mike
DarthMJH
13 years ago
Thanks for the replies. Are we saying that Volkswagen always had the same profile on the rear wings and I have got 2 different pattern wings for different suppliers?

Mike
1960 Karmann Beetle Convertible