fergusmalhoon
13 years ago
unfortunately found myself in a position where i am going to have to run my cabrio through the winter.

any suggestions or tips on demisting, heating or anything else to help me along
cheers
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

unfortunately found myself in a position where i am going to have to run my cabrio through the winter.

any suggestions or tips on demisting, heating or anything else to help me along
cheers

fergusmalhoon wrote:

My advice is if you love your car don't do it.. buy a cheap run around instead :wink:

I speak from experience its not good for your car, but in the past I have run aircooled bugs and buses all year round, just make sure you have good quality heat exchangers and the heating all works properly, I had an oval beetle with no heating for the winter, gloves, warm coat and woolly hat were in order, not sure why I never fixed it. Also make sure your car is covered in waxoil (or similar) underneath and in the channels, A post bottoms etc.

Did you know though in Sweden and other parts of Scandinavia cabrios were preferred to saloons because of the nice padded warm roof for the winter, thats what I was told anyway 😎
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Have to agree with above, You'll probably save the price of a cheap runner in fuel costs and eliminate anyone skidding into your pride and joy through the silly season.

Mind you ,that only applies if its a pre67,if its LHD or a 1303 i dont care what you do. :wink:

Good luck

Mike
fergusmalhoon
13 years ago
Early 67 and rhd so still in favour I guess, just.
Any suggestions on where to purchase decent window and door rubbers/seals?
Thanks
TomF
13 years ago
I've always got my seals from VW Heritage, not cheap but are top quality.
Robb
13 years ago
after spending alot of time and money on my 67 RHD- repairing the rust on a very original low mileage bug, i strongly suggest you dont use your car during the winter. May save you money in the short term, but give it a while for the rust to set in and itll cost you a fortune- check out my resto thread! 😉
55Kab
13 years ago

that only applies if its a pre67,if its LHD or a 1303 i dont care what you do

Sunroof53 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Nice one.

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

I've always got my seals from VW Heritage, not cheap but are top quality.

TomF wrote:

I thought they all leaked like the Bismark from the factory. Well, if mine is anything to go by...
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
13 years ago

Any suggestions on where to purchase decent window and door rubbers/seals?

fergusmalhoon wrote:

I've spent a lot of time looking at Cabrio seals and to be honest nothing out there is great unless it's genuine so have a look at places like the Samba first for OG seals.

After that speak to Jules at KK as he found some German seals for me.

Have to also agree with the posts above about not driving the car in winter. A £700 type banger (assuming you can still find such a thing in the UK?) is a far better bet that a lovely 43 year old Cabrio.

TomF
13 years ago

I thought they all leaked like the Bismark from the factory. Well, if mine is anything to go by...

JD wrote:

Mine have never given me any grief on my '55, but then that's not a Kabrio!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Mine have never given me any grief on my '55, but then that's not a Kabrio!

TomF wrote:

Thats a big, big difference!:wink:
UserPostedImage
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

JD wrote:

:lol: Rob may have some comments on leaky cabrios after a some horrible weather on the Camberg trip in my car a few years ago !
pre67vw
13 years ago

:lol: Rob may have some comments on leaky cabrios after a some horrible weather on the Camberg trip in my car a few years ago !

nev wrote:

Not only that, but it was using my own cabrio in winter and getting home with ice in my hair that made me take it off the road and do it up!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Salmon return to my car every year to spawn.
Is that what you want?
UserPostedImage
fergusmalhoon
13 years ago
I've only got 4 miles each way, I know it's not ideal but needs must. Underside fully waxoiled, just need seals sorting and ready to go.
55Kab
13 years ago

I've only got 4 miles each way

fergusmalhoon wrote:

:shock:

WALK it then! :wink:

GKL 7
13 years ago

:shock:

WALK it then! :wink:

55Kab wrote:

When i was a lad,they used to have these things called buses,they were really handy,wonder what ever happened to those things.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Cycle!

Four miles will just make your battery go flat and water condense in your motor.
UserPostedImage
fergusmalhoon
13 years ago
Must admit, I'm picking up a vibe, not sure yet but suffice to say have spent a bit of time looking on the autotrader website today. Did you know that within 10m and for under a grand I could get anything from a 1 ltr micro with 25k to a 525 cabriolet with leather, oh and the always present top of the range omega with everything in it for tuppence, mad world