GKL 7
  • GKL 7
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Would it appear "Splits" are not selling too well at the moment.
I see the same cars advertised month after month.
Is it the present economic situation or have prices just gone too far.
There again are the owners just dreaming with their advertised prices.The attitude being if you will pay this much then take it away?

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
I agree, I've noticed the same as well... its a bit like a really really slow dutch auction where the prices are slowly lowered every couple of months.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
13 years ago
I am going to go out on a limb (as I dont think anyone else will want to :lol: ) and say that I think that the majority of people who own pre55 cars are often less 'desperate' to sell generally and sell more often due to fancying a change as opposed to having too for financial means. Due partly to the older ageband of ownership.
I also think that complete driving on the road or MOT'd tintop splits have a 10k floor value compared to project cars needing parts. And that people ( myself included) quite simply wont accept anything below this unless they are desperate or keen to sell, in which fall cars in the sub10k zone.
The balance of parts value of a complete car is a factor in the 10k especially if all split/original parts and body metal.

There are also far less buyers around due to the impending economic meltdown, and I would rather my car stays safely in my possession during this storm than sell it cheap :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
48REME
13 years ago

people ( myself included) quite simply wont accept anything below this unless they are desperate or keen to sell, in which fall cars in the sub10k zone.

mrsherbie wrote:

In these difficult times, I'm not sure we are in a position to decide what price we can expect for a car. People are obviously still being greedy as cars are not selling and the same ones keep being advertised. Sellers have to feel the market if they wish to sell and accept what people will be prepared to pay. It's the same in the housing market unfortunately.

pre67vw
13 years ago

I think that the majority of people who own pre55 cars are often less 'desperate' to sell generally and sell more often due to fancying a change as opposed to having too for financial means. Due partly to the older ageband of ownership.

mrsherbie wrote:

I can't say that I really agree, tough times often hit older people just as much - if you fall on hard times the car is going to go before the house. It's the younger people that have more disposable income that are less hit, just take a walk around lakeside shopping centre at the weeked and you'll be asking if these tough economic times really exist at all.

Bus prices don't seem to be hit much, when I was looking for one a little while back it was amazing how many were getting snapped up within days of being advertised. But then there were also quite a few over-priced buses that were hanging around again and again that I wasn't interested in. I've given up now, the prospect of spending £12k for a rusty project is ridiculous. It's not that I can't afford it because I can, I'm just not prepared to.

I'm still old-school, this is a hobby not an investment opportunity. Dropping £20k on a hobby is a serious proposition for most. Plus if people take off their VW blinders and look at other marques you can get so much more for your money.

I think it's probably the Beetle's turn for a price drop, it happened with Ghias a few years back - if you wanted a nice Ghia you'd be looking at £12k-£15, now they seem to have settled around £7k-£8k. Obviously if you're in the business of selling cars you're not going to agree, but it is what I hope/believe. I think it's better for the Hobby that cars are affordable, it means people swap their cars around a bit more, which in turn makes shows more interesting.

If you're fortunate enough to be in the position of being able to choose whether or not you can keep your toys during tough economic times then be grateful of that, I'm sure many in the not too distant future will not be so lucky!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
13 years ago

older ageband of ownership

mrsherbie wrote:

That's the nailhead right there. I firmly believe regardless of what hardcore stock enthusiast's say here, something like a stock split window Beetle has limtited appeal to the younger VW enthusiast so when you factor in something like a £20k asking price it just ain't gonna happen.

Take a look round any classic car show at the age of the owners. And then factor in how many split window Beetle's exist compared to other classic cars of the age and you should realise split window Beetle's are (relatively speaking) in abundance and therefore the market will not support the prices currently being asked. Sure there are a few exceptions, but they are just that, right car, right person, right time.

Oh and Anna, there's no impending economic meltdown...it's already here!!!! :lol:

pre67vw
13 years ago

something like a stock split window Beetle has limtited appeal to the younger VW enthusiast...

55Kab wrote:

the keyword there being 'stock', just because it's stock now doesn't mean it has to stay that way and I reckon there are quite a few younger enthusiasts that would love a slammed split beetle.

split window Beetle's are (relatively speaking) in abundance and therefore the market will not support the prices currently being asked. Sure there are a few exceptions, but they are just that, right car, right person, right time.

55Kab wrote:

Agree totally :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
13 years ago
I dont mean specifically stock cars, the best restocal splits in the world are also owned by similar age folk ( 'old' like 55kab :lol: )
I just mean more financially careful people maybe.

We are always in a position to decide the price we want for our own car, and if no one wants to buy at that price that is ok. Car stays home. Or if we really need/want some cash then yes, the car goes to market value or less to shift much faster.
But I certainly dont think it is a crime for anyone to ask whatever they want for their own possessions. Overpriced or not.

Oh and Anna, there's no impending economic meltdown...it's already here!!!! :lol:

55Kab wrote:

I am just off to the Cote d' Azur for a week's sailing, but I will checkout the meltdown when I get back.

mrsherbie
13 years ago

just because it's stock now doesn't mean it has to stay that way and I reckon there are quite a few younger enthusiasts that would love a slammed split beetle.

pre67vw wrote:

Yes, so thank god that most can't afford one :lol:

I agree tintop splits are not exactly rare, to us maybe, but take one to a general (non vw) classic car show and see how many splits there are compared to say much older Austin 7's or any other early 50's cars, or splitscreen vans or Rollers or jags or bentleys or (urgh cough.. splutter.. morgans.. puke..) :lol:

Split beetles are hardly common either.

69project
13 years ago
this subject will come up again and again as we all enjoy different aspects of the vw scene(im awaiting the abuse already)

i enjoy buying/repairing then getting a car back on the road again then i lose interest very quickly.ive had about 6 cars in the last year,my friends laugh at me each time as i say this is a long termer but i also spend a lot of time and effort and really enjoy the buzz of vws

as much as we all would like it to be a cheap hobby it wont,the fact that a lot of the older generation are keeping cars hidden away means that new cars dont appear often so there value will affect this as the supply will dwindle

with regards to the split beetles ive seen for sale recently,most are incomplete and need a lot of work to get roadworthy.with good parts limited and the time it takes too source they will not shift easily(again im awaiting more grief,lol)

it just my view

:twisted:

Car less.....
mrsherbie
13 years ago
^
I agree with everything you posted 69 project, that is spot on^
I keep mine a bit longer though :lol: 5-10yrs usually. My split is just coming up to 10yrs since I bought it.
But I have always immensely admired people who have owned their old vws from new or over 20-30yrs. Thats real staying power :beer:
Quite a few people in the Kab OClub seem to have owned their 70's kabs from new with no intention to sell in future.

(ps. we used to have a swedie garnet 58/9 sunroof beetle)
69project
13 years ago
[(ps. we used to have a swedie garnet 58/9 sunroof beetle)

it may well be the one so im told...

swedish reg is bbt 173

very holey at the moment :shock:
Car less.....
mrsherbie
13 years ago

it may well be the one so im told...
swedish reg is bbt 173

69project wrote:

Ours was swede reg ASR and a driver not holey, but at the time O bought 2 almost identical garnet sunroofs, so it could well be the other. I will look through photos as that must be ages ago as he kept ours as his pet car for many years.
Garnet is one of the best colours ever, but we have a brown never driven sunroof split too and scruffy og paint takes a lot of care so having a few is constant work so one had to go to a better home. Shiny cars are SO much easier to look after! :lol:

GKL 7
  • GKL 7
13 years ago

a brown never driven sunroof split

mrsherbie wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Am i reading that right???

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Am i reading that right???

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yes you are. It´s a patinated beauty too.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
  • GKL 7
13 years ago

Yes you are. It´s a patinated beauty too.

JD wrote:

So it's got Zero miles on the clock,WOW!!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Ah! Weeeell.... not quite....:lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
13 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

I wish! :lol: I meant we have not used it yet (about 10yrs now? :oops: :lol: )( like my oval :oops:4yrs now? does'nt time fly :shock: (you know the car, O's scruffy medium brown 50) They both drive, but there is no-where I really want to take them enough to mot & road legal either of them :? anyway we are to busy playing fat chicks now we have 'mr & mrs' chicks :d

Ovaltine
13 years ago

In these difficult times, I'm not sure we are in a position to decide what price we can expect for a car. People are obviously still being greedy as cars are not selling and the same ones keep being advertised. Sellers have to feel the market if they wish to sell and accept what people will be prepared to pay. It's the same in the housing market unfortunately.

48REME wrote:

Why is wanting your rare car's worth 'greedy':?:

For many, their vintage VW is their main investment after their house. They should not want to sell their Split at a knock-down price than they would their house.

... factor in how many split window Beetle's exist compared to other classic cars of the age and you should realise split window Beetle's are (relatively speaking) in abundance and therefore the market will not support the prices currently being asked. Sure there are a few exceptions, but they are just that, right car, right person, right time.

55Kab wrote:

'Splits' in abundance? I'd say not. Looking on the web around the world you'd think there are a good few for sale, but in reality they're thinly spread around the globe. I can't think when I last saw a Split Beetle for sale in Volksworld, or in any British classic car magazine for that matter.:wink:

... we have a brown never driven sunroof split too and scruffy og paint takes a lot of care so having a few is constant work so one had to go to a better home. Shiny cars are SO much easier to look after! :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Outside the VW Museum I've yet to see a Split Beetle in its original factory exterior paint, save one or two never repainted but almost totally 'bald' with heavy surface rust (excused as 'patina'), and certainly not in this country. I'd guess yours is an early repaint aged nicely - you may prove me wrong, and fantastic if it is the original paint and in good order to boot. Much more desireable (and valuable) than yet another repainted/restored Split. How about some pics:wink:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
GKL 7
  • GKL 7
13 years ago

(you know the car, O's scruffy medium brown 50)

mrsherbie wrote:

Heard rumours but never been lucky enough.