mickb
  • mickb
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Can anyone help and possibly identify this item, not sure if it is VW related but i found it in amongst the bits with my 60 bug i recently rescued from a scrap yard.

It is stamped West Germany, it is 22cm long and 2.5cm wide and 1.5cm diameter on the half round

UserPostedImage[/img]
www.brads.org.uk
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
13 years ago
It's one of these...

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Damn - not a light sabre then?:lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Mick,

I saw pics of the car a few months back when it was spotted in the scrapyard. Ironically, the afternoon it was discovered, I was literally a mile away from the scrapyard enjoying an over-cooked beefburger from a friend's BBQ. My 'early-VW radar' skills are losing their powers of prescision.

What's the story behind the car and how did it end up there?

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mickb
  • mickb
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Thanks six-o-one :beer:

Wish it was JD maybe should of used it to read the small print

Hi Rich, yep you weren't far away if you were in Arnold. i went to the scrapyard on the weds and it was still there had a quick look and said i'll take it. Needs a lot of TLC and i will start a thread about it so you can follow the re-build.

There was no paperwork but after a few months i now have the V5 and a birth certificate from Wolfsburg.

details are:
model: 118, VW deluxe sedan with sun roof,
30DIN-PS 1.2 liter
Ceramic Green, built 9th Jan 1960, left factory 13th Jan 1960.

V5 details show 3 previous owners.

Planning a full resto back to as original as poss, just need an assessment on the body work, well the buckled 'A' pillar and then start saving :d

will keep you informed

cheers Mick
www.brads.org.uk
54 Gertie
13 years ago
This got saved? Wow! I was all set to head north with an angle grinder. :lol:
William
pre67vw
13 years ago

Thanks six-o-one :beer:

Wish it was JD maybe should of used it to read the small print

Hi Rich, yep you weren't far away if you were in Arnold. i went to the scrapyard on the weds and it was still there had a quick look and said i'll take it. Needs a lot of TLC and i will start a thread about it so you can follow the re-build.

There was no paperwork but after a few months i now have the V5 and a birth certificate from Wolfsburg.

details are:
model: 118, VW deluxe sedan with sun roof,
30DIN-PS 1.2 liter
Ceramic Green, built 9th Jan 1960, left factory 13th Jan 1960.

V5 details show 3 previous owners.

Planning a full resto back to as original as poss, just need an assessment on the body work, well the buckled 'A' pillar and then start saving :d

will keep you informed

cheers Mick

mickb wrote:

What did you do to get the V5? I thought it would need an MOT before you could get a V5, or is it because it was previously registered?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mickb
  • mickb
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago

What did you do to get the V5? I thought it would need an MOT before you could get a V5, or is it because it was previously registered?

pre67vw wrote:

Yes it was previously registered all i had to do was send in the V62 and £25 and a SORN doc.
Spoke to the DVLA a few times and they were very helpful, all we had to go on at first was a front bumper with number plate attached, and an 18 year old tax disc found in the mud and rubbish inside the car.

There are lots of bits missing but well worth a go at saving
www.brads.org.uk
mrsherbie
13 years ago
Sounds nice, ceramic green sunroof ooh! there are not many of those about :beer:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
A sunroof car - very nice!8)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Great stuff Mick. Really looking forward to seeing this one restored (stock I presume? :wink: ) Just out of interest, what's the number plate?

It begs the question though, how on Earth can an original UK sunroof semaphore Bug turn up in a scrapyard in this day and age??!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mickb
  • mickb
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hi Rich

Sorry for the delay, had a bit of possible bad news on the beetle and also started a new job.

Seems that when the scrapyard have been moving it around they have managed to buckle the roof somewhat, looks like the crease to the A pillar and the roof section has been bumped forward about 25mm from the B pillars forwards. The door doesn't shut but catches on the B pillar. My friend Paul Guild who will be doing the body work is a bit worried that this damage may be a bit too far :cry:

However he has put me in touch with a repair shop and i have spoken to them and waiting for them to come round and assess the damage, hoping that they can do something to help.

The reg is GVS 379, registered early 1960 with three owners from new, unfortunately no other paperwork available.

Hopefully we can still save it and it will be as stock as i can, finding all the bits even looking for the one year only door handles :wink:

I'm guessing that late 59 parts are also acceptable as i do like some of the finer details available from 1958 to 1960
www.brads.org.uk
69project
13 years ago
nothing this interesting at my local scrapyard,if you end up cutting it up(worse scenario) then let me know
Car less.....
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Hi Rich

Sorry for the delay, had a bit of possible bad news on the beetle and also started a new job.

Seems that when the scrapyard have been moving it around they have managed to buckle the roof somewhat, looks like the crease to the A pillar and the roof section has been bumped forward about 25mm from the B pillars forwards. The door doesn't shut but catches on the B pillar. My friend Paul Guild who will be doing the body work is a bit worried that this damage may be a bit too far :cry:

However he has put me in touch with a repair shop and i have spoken to them and waiting for them to come round and assess the damage, hoping that they can do something to help.

The reg is GVS 379, registered early 1960 with three owners from new, unfortunately no other paperwork available.

Hopefully we can still save it and it will be as stock as i can, finding all the bits even looking for the one year only door handles :wink:

I'm guessing that late 59 parts are also acceptable as i do like some of the finer details available from 1958 to 1960

mickb wrote:

That's a real shame about the shell. However, RHD Golde ragtops are so rare now that I would still think it's worth saving if at all possible. Let's hope the repair shop give some positive input.

With the GVS plate, it looks like the car lost its original reg number in the late 1980s/early 1990s as the series of *VS plates from FVS onwards were issued as 'age related' plates to cars that had their original numbers sold on/ or pre-63 imports to the country.

Look forward to hearing an update.
13 years ago
I have this for sale......

it might help?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
55Kab
13 years ago
As Rich said above, its a real shame the yard hasn't moved it with more care, however, what's done is done and as UK small window ragtop's are so hard to find it's definately worth doing whatever you can to save it.

Have you applied to the DVLA for all the past keepers as that will probably tell you what the OG registration was and when it came off the car.

Keep us updated.

mickb
  • mickb
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago

I have this for sale......

it might help?

UserPostedImage

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Hi Julian
thanks for that i had spotted it on your site and was going to talk to you at Action but the late night tombolae took over :wink:

Are you coming up to Brads Ball next week? If so may be chat over a beer or two :beer:

here are a couple of pics of the worst bits :roll: :evil:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

cheers Mick
www.brads.org.uk
13 years ago

Hi Julian
the late night tombolae took over :wink:

mickb wrote:

Oh, erm, yes, well that was fun! :lol:

Didnt know about the brads thing till after it happened! :cry:
www.vwoval.co.uk