55Kab
  •  55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
2010-11-11T15:44:59Z
Here's a test for you.

What colour should the inside of a 55 standard 5-stud solid wheel be?

a) body colour
b) ivory colour (part next to hubcap)
c) black


*EDIT* this is not a trick question. I need to know for painting! :wink:

Sponsor


(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
pre67vw
2010-11-11T16:07:54Z
Chrome? :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
2010-11-11T16:45:53Z
I think I'm right in saying that the wheels were, black, then the outer colours were applied. So the back should be black, but with some slight overspray from where they didn't bother to mask up. I think Peter (Harveypj) talked about this in his '58's thread.
William
GKL 7
2010-11-11T16:52:02Z
Also didn't they find when restoring Charley O's car they could be ordered from Karmann with all Black wheels?
JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2010-11-11T22:52:07Z
I don´t know, but watch out - if you want it accurate, then don´t paint the centre part of the wheel X and the rim Y - the split in the colour is actually on the rim so the join doesn´t show behind the ally beauty rings.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  •  55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
2010-11-12T06:50:39Z
Originally Posted by: ' 

Also didn't they find when restoring Charley O's car they could be ordered from Karmann with all Black wheels?



Correct. I think black wheels were an option.

55Kab
  •  55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
2010-11-12T07:00:14Z
JD wrote:

I don´t know, but watch out - if you want it accurate, then don´t paint the centre part of the wheel X and the rim Y - the split in the colour is actually on the rim so the join doesn´t show behind the ally beauty rings.



Not sure I understand you. Photo?

I always thought the split in the colour is where the centre part and outer part (rim) come together, I've never seen a stock wheel painted any other way... :?



JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2010-11-12T08:05:14Z
55Kab wrote:

Not sure I understand you. Photo?

I always thought the split in the colour is where the centre part and outer part (rim) come together, I've never seen a stock wheel painted any other way... :?





Neither had I, but on my unrepainted 1958 wheels, the split in paint colours is moved out about half and inch so that it´s underneath the beauty rings. I think it must be a Karmann only thing, as they were the only cars with beauty rings as stock.

Here´s an old pic - hope you can make out what I mean.

UserPostedImage
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  •  55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
2010-11-13T08:19:39Z
JD wrote:

Neither had I, but on my unrepainted 1958 wheels, the split in paint colours is moved out about half and inch so that it´s underneath the beauty rings. I think it must be a Karmann only thing, as they were the only cars with beauty rings as stock.

Here´s an old pic - hope you can make out what I mean.

UserPostedImage



See what you mean now James but I really don't think that's factory. Can anyone else comment?

JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2010-11-13T08:25:49Z
55Kab wrote:

See what you mean now James but I really don't think that's factory. Can anyone else comment?



It´s the original paint Martin - it really truly is! All four wheels are the same and there is no paint underneath whats on there. I´ll get a better photo for you when I get the car back. I saw a Karmann Ghia at Hessisch with the same thing.
Of course, we don´t know if they were like that in `55.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  •  55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
2010-11-28T07:22:42Z
Is there anyone else that can comment on the inside colour of early wheels?

JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2010-11-28T12:51:18Z
You know I´m right.:lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
harveypj
2010-11-28T15:48:59Z
54 Gertie wrote:

I think I'm right in saying that the wheels were, black, then the outer colours were applied. So the back should be black, but with some slight overspray from where they didn't bother to mask up. I think Peter (Harveypj) talked about this in his '58's thread.



Yes, thats right Will.
Mine were defenatly black on the inside as from factory, the face side was painted over what was origanaly an all black wheel.

Karmann had their own paint schemes so I'd imagine they ordered in plain black wheels and then paint them in their own paint shop, so its more than feasable that they adapted the colour boundaries to suit the trim that would be fitted to the rim as JD believes. Could not say for sure though?
Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
2010-11-28T18:15:02Z
I can get you a few detailed photos of an original paint '55 hardtop wheel tomorrow if you like, not that it's like James is describing, it seems to just be like what you'd imagine a 'normal' beetle wheel to be like.

This 'Life' photo of a '54 Kab, I think, shows what is just a normal Beetle wheel?

[img]http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/6be3674f8369bb46_large[/img]

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
2010-11-28T18:18:51Z
Here's a '54 hardtop from the same 'shoot'. To me, they look identical.

[img]http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/e2d3907cef0a3c74_large[/img]

UserPostedImage

Maybe they changed it on later Kabs, James? :wink:
William
JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2010-11-28T18:18:53Z
So what we really need to find out is when the beauty rings were introduced.

Like I said up there, just because they were like that in 58, doesn´t mean they were like that in 55.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
2010-11-28T18:25:00Z
JD wrote:

So what we really need to find out is when the beauty rings were introduced.

Like I said up there, just because they were like that in 58, doesn´t mean they were like that in 55.



No mention of anything relating to wheel trims or paint in Progressive Refinements.

Did all Kabs come with wheel trims past a certain date? Or were they just an option?
William
54 Gertie
2010-11-28T18:27:13Z
Photo taken Aug '51, it is a Kab, and I know it doesn't help whatsoever. :lol:

[img]http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/7a61e57026a0d58d_landing[/img]
William
JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2010-11-28T18:30:56Z
54 Gertie wrote:

No mention of anything relating to wheel trims or paint in Progressive Refinements.

Did all Kabs come with wheel trims past a certain date? Or were they just an option?



Kabs do get left out of progressive refinement discussions quite a lot!

Thats what I´m wondering about the trims. Mine must have had them from new, otherwise there is just no explanation for that paint layout. So when were they introduced? Gotta go and do some digging.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2010-11-28T18:56:59Z
This shows a KG with the rings in 1955/56.

http://www.thesamba.com/...m_page.php?pic_id=632844 

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/624107.jpg 
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Similar Topics
Users browsing this topic