zelensis61
2010-11-29T16:47:02Z
As I decided to go for it, I 'll post picts of the progress. Some will come quick, other will take longer. Due to lack of time I can only work in weekend once and a while. So progress will go slow.
I whould thank some hebowners who gave me some detailed picts and advise also for letting me take some dimensions.
The intake part is made out of 2 parts with assembled grills. I welded them to a pannel and from a mile away it looks good...for a blind man:roll: . I need to re-think the making of those section.

I know, I could buy all the parts from Dr D and I like them but then I will not end with a self made one? It will be a self welded one and whould be half satisfied.

Tips are welcome.:idea:
Meanwhile I also made some reinforcement parts that are more simple to make.

Greets.
zelensis61 attached the following image(s):

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
zelensis61
2010-11-30T19:20:52Z
Well, Obviously, I am not satisfied with the result. Why....look at the picts above. To much trouble for so less result.:evil:

But, I tried another way. So this is what I did.
Drilled holes 6mm , punched them deeper with a 10 mm conic punch over a drilled plate with 12 mm holes. This creates a "deep" hole of 10 mm.
Cut it in length in half, used one half on top, one below . Made out of flat sheetmetal strips some u-bars, cut them at length and welded them in the same wooden buck as the first try.
Grinded the welds and it looks better as the first attempt.
Made 2 halfs of the air intake and welded them in a plate with center bar....
We are getting there. Slow but sure, and surely slow. :roll:

Guess what? The angle of the air intake is sooooooo :oops: wrong.:evil:
I could kick myself.[-x
But Now I know how this can be done 😎 .

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
oldbugger
2010-12-02T16:12:31Z
why didn't you you a larger piece of sheet metal
oldbugger attached the following image(s):
oldbugger
2010-12-02T16:16:44Z
more
GKL 7
2010-12-02T16:34:34Z
That's fine work Old bugger.
oldbugger
2010-12-02T16:42:27Z
project is being completed for its new owner at http://www.islandaircooled.com/  also at http://www.thesamba.com/...amp;show_results=summary 
zelensis61
2010-12-02T18:50:18Z
Thanks, For the advise...:beer:
Your car looks stunning and spot on. The last roof bow in wood however looks a bit to round. But then again, it is your car. Not mine. Wish I was that far for the moment that I could say....8) paint it.
But that is goint to far ahead.
The roof frame looks very simular to a real heb. Did you copied it from a real car? :?:

So when I looked at the air intake " take 2" I noticed the angle that was wrong.:? :evil:
Thus gave me no other option then to go for "take 3". :roll:
With the marvelous cossy weather now ( -8 ° celcius and 10 cm of snow in a non heated barn) I took the task to do it over. Working with iron is so nice for your hands in the cold[-x .

One difference....I tought , when I could punch the holes, I could bend the u-bars between...Why not do it in one piece....no welding or grinding.

Here are the picts.
The first pict is the try-out for the system, mould and contra mould on a wast sheetmetal. The other picts speak for themself. Now I am happy with the result.:lol:

oldbugger
2010-12-02T19:05:52Z
nicely done Peter . Did my best on the top bow as I have never seen a real heb in person just studied pics I built a few differt bows I was happy with the last one in the first pic
oval56
2010-12-02T20:49:26Z
holy shit... peter, the sheet metal god... stunnig build of the reargutter:shock: :beer:
heb623
2010-12-03T08:54:15Z
zelensis61 wrote:

The roof frame looks very simular to a real heb.
I noticed the angle that was wrong.:? :evil:

Peter, that's why it's called a Hebmuller style type 14a made from stratch!!!
Very nice work, I am jalous to all the skilled work I see here but wouldn't it be better to open a special forum for this kind of cars?:lol:

:twisted: ET

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Ovaltine
2010-12-03T14:09:34Z
heb623 wrote:

Very nice work, I am jalous to all the skilled work I see here but wouldn't it be better to open a special forum for this kind of cars?:lol:

There's some skilled craftsmen in the vintage VW scene, no mistake. Its not going to be long before someone builds their own Beetle prototype as VW have now done :beer:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
heb623
2010-12-03T15:24:53Z
Ovaltine wrote:

Its not going to be long before someone builds their own Beetle prototype as VW have now done :beer:

You?:shock:

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Ovaltine
2010-12-04T15:43:19Z
heb623 wrote:

You?:shock:

Er, no...:?
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Next_Racer
2010-12-07T16:08:07Z
Very nice work. I will follow you're built. It is nice to see someone is taking the time to think things over.
zelensis61
2010-12-11T20:45:49Z
update:
After that I got the airintake fixed in a way I can live with, I attacked some sheet metal for the back seat area...
Some parts are quick to make, others take some time.
As for the coming weeks, I will have not much time to work in the barn but I will draw and prepare some paterns.

oval56
2010-12-12T11:26:36Z
nice work peter :beer: looking foorward to see it finished 🙂
vintagevw
2010-12-12T14:23:52Z
Nice! :beer:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
brille52
2010-12-12T15:00:35Z
I told you : you`re an artist !! Good job !! Next time, you will come to BZ with your own build Heb : doesn`t that sound GREAT ? :d

a8)
zelensis61
2010-12-12T15:06:56Z
Ahh Andreas, SERVUS, Das ist gut. Aber dan must ich einen anhanger mitnemen...die wein schmeckt zoooooo Lecker aus BZ kellerei...
Gibst mir ein bischen zeit und dan fahre ich...

So , That is a deal, but then I have to tow a trailer to haul back some wine...the wine from the BZ wineproducers is so damn good.

Give some time and I'll roll it.
56ovalrhd
2010-12-12T16:38:58Z
Peter,

Nice work. You are obviously passionate about this car and with the skills you have, I'm sure the car will be everything an original Hebmuller intended to be 😎 It's all in the details!