mooney3019
13 years ago
been offered an early sixtys Cab complete, it has come from the states some time ago, and is 100% rust free, but is on a later pan and has no ID at all, is it worth buying and how would I go about registering it ?

Answers on a postcard to..........
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RockStock
13 years ago

is it worth buying

mooney3019 wrote:

no. cos

is on a later pan

mooney3019 wrote:

StockRocks
Rattletrap
13 years ago
I had a '54 Cab on a 1965 pan and RHD. Don't touch it, you'll never be happy with it.:x
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I don´t see why not, if you can find a year correct pan - except that it´s an early cabrio and like a lot of cheap cars from the States may well have been bodged within an inch of it´s life.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mooney3019
13 years ago
its rust free just such a shame not to have it on the road, dont get me wrong it needs alot of work, hood etc but straight and un welded
mooney3019
13 years ago
by the way JD sent you a pm yesterday clear you inbox
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Ah, done it now! :oops:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
cupa65
13 years ago
You could always buy some alloy wheels for the red car instead :wink:
Dakota
13 years ago
buy a standard bug the right year with a floor pan and log book etc and stick the cab shell on it and call it a donor shell, the stamped number appears on the pan.
mooney3019
13 years ago

You could always buy some alloy wheels for the red car instead :wink:

cupa65 wrote:

which ones!!
55Kab
13 years ago

been offered an early sixtys Cab complete, it has come from the states some time ago, and is 100% rust free, but is on a later pan and has no ID at all, is it worth buying and how would I go about registering it ?

mooney3019 wrote:

You could probably register it with the later pan and just drive it and have some fun but long term it would be better to relocate it onto a year correct pan which with a little looking shouldn't prove too difficult to find.

Got any photos you can post up?

55Kab
13 years ago

I had a '54 Cab on a 1965 pan and RHD. Don't touch it, you'll never be happy with it.:x

Rattletrap wrote:

H'mmm interesting, can you tell us some more please John. Was this a UK RHD car?

There's a guy on Vzi that owns a black RHD Oval cabrio and it's on a C plate so assume a 65 pan...just wondering if it's the same car?

pre67vw
13 years ago
There are quite a few cabrios on sedan pans, with a leaky top and carpets soaking up the water the floors rust out - it was always easier to put it on a sedan pan rather than repair the original one. If the price is good then it would still be worth getting, as others have said you could put it on a year correct pan if you wanted.

To register it, first insure it on the chassis number (as it won't have a number plate), MOT it, then get a birth certificate from Germany on the chassis number, fill in the DVLA forms and wait for your V5. You may need to take it along to a local inspector to have a little look over it.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mooney3019
13 years ago
no, sorry maybe i didnt say it has zero paperwork no vin plates, chassis number is a sedan, just working out figures at the mo, last cab mohair roof I had was over 10 years ago, it is just the frame at the mo, no headlining, padding, outer, no cables etc etc
pre67vw
13 years ago

no, sorry maybe i didnt say it has zero paperwork no vin plates, chassis number is a sedan, just working out figures at the mo, last cab mohair roof I had was over 10 years ago, it is just the frame at the mo, no headlining, padding, outer, no cables etc etc

mooney3019 wrote:

Yep, you don't need any paperwork - get the birth certificate from the chassis number which should be official enough for DVLA, but you have to MOT it before you apply for a V5
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
fergusmalhoon
13 years ago
Regardless of the condition, you need to be careful running a cab shell on a hardtop chassis as the necessary sill strengtheners are often missing or poorly fitted.
pre67vw
13 years ago

Regardless of the condition, you need to be careful running a cab shell on a hardtop chassis as the necessary sill strengtheners are often missing or poorly fitted.

fergusmalhoon wrote:

The sill strengtheners are part of the body, not the chassis - the only difference between the sedan chassis and the cabrio chassis is that the cabrio doesn't have the jacking points.

Sill strengtheners are obviously important to the strength of the shell, but they can often be missing/poorly fitted even on it's original chassis.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
RockStock
13 years ago
proper VWs have their original pan!
StockRocks
cupa65
13 years ago
With regard to alloy wheel. What about some 22 inch chrome with spinners? :omg:
GKL 7
13 years ago

The sill strengtheners are part of the body, not the chassis

pre67vw wrote:

Popular misconception,i've read countless postings from people that thought cabrios had a special chassis.

Original chassis or not,it's worth saving.How many fewer Hebs would we have if they had been scrapped because the OG chassis was missing.Not ideal,i know, but it's a necessary compromise.