55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Is there anyone out there with a UK car that still has its 4 position (just to left of speedo when viewed from the rear) fuse box description card in place?

I'm trying to find out if for a UK car whether it was issued in English or whether it is in German.

Any help much appreciated.

Tks
Martin

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Mine does ,but it is packed away .I will try and get to it and scan it later on .

Mike .
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

Mine does ,but it is packed away .I will try and get to it and scan it later on .

Mike .

Sunroof53 wrote:

Tks Mike.

I've asked Ben to go to stupid lengths to get the standard wiring looking period correct (white conduit for rear lights an example) and would like to add this to the fuse box but don't know if it should be written in German or English.

Sunroof53
13 years ago
Here is mine ,with some overspray but you get the idea.

UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

Here is mine ,with some overspray but you get the idea.

UserPostedImage

Sunroof53 wrote:

Tks Mike. It is paper or card?

harveypj
13 years ago
July 1958  july58 fuses.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
Sunroof53
13 years ago

Tks Mike. It is paper or card?

55Kab wrote:

Paper ,and it measures 0.2mm thick so a little thicker than the stuff you would use for your home printer.A bit like the stuff you get in an artist pad ,and i would assume it to have been a bit whiter.It measures 54mm long x 20mm wide with an 8mm hole positioned in the middle.Lines are 12mm from the left and 11mm from the right with the outer lines 0.5mm from the edge.Lines are approx 0.4mm wide.Not sure of the font.

Mike
Sunroof53
13 years ago

July 1958

harveypj wrote:

:?
harveypj
13 years ago

:?

Sunroof53 wrote:

:unsure: :? technical glitch.......:thumbup: sorted.

Scaned image now added above.

54 Gertie
13 years ago
Just had a play about with a copy of Peters bit of paper, and the closest font I can find that works is 'Futura condensed medium'. Luckily I had a copy of this family of fonts from a few years ago.

Coincidently, 'Futura' is the font used for the titles in the 60's/70's VW ad's. AFAIK, it was designed/made for VW, maybe why it is used in this case. Modern copies of Futura for PC's are slightly different to the originals.

UserPostedImage

As you can see in this comparison, the modern version of the font is slightly less 'round', in places, and lower case tall letters like 'L' are too tall. The latter could be fixed easily with some Photoshop 'bodging'.

Not perfect, but as good as you'll get, and on something that tiny it'll never really notice. Also the pixalation/bleeding from printing will make Peters look different anyway, to a crisp screen.

William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
BTW, that is after a fair amount of playing with kerning and font size etc, and there is more adjustment to make it closer.

Ideally also if you could make it more bold, as it were that might also help.
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
You have PM, BTW. :wink:
William
harveypj
13 years ago

Just had a play about with a copy of Peters bit of paper, and the closest font I can find that works is 'Futura condensed medium'. Luckily I had a copy of this family of fonts from a few years ago.

Coincidently, 'Futura' is the font used for the titles in the 60's/70's VW ad's. AFAIK, it was designed/made for VW, maybe why it is used in this case. Modern copies of Futura for PC's are slightly different to the originals.

UserPostedImage

As you can see in this comparison, the modern version of the font is slightly less 'round', in places, and lower case tall letters like 'L' are too tall. The latter could be fixed easily with some Photoshop 'bodging'.

Not perfect, but as good as you'll get, and on something that tiny it'll never really notice. Also the pixalation/bleeding from printing will make Peters look different anyway, to a crisp screen.

54 Gertie wrote:

:omg: Will, you gota get out more :lol:
54 Gertie
13 years ago

:omg: Will, you gota get out more :lol:

harveypj wrote:

:rofl:

William
lucifar666
13 years ago
Mine is an original UK 57 and has the following
UserPostedImage

Sorry if that puts a spanner in the works.
harveypj
13 years ago
:mellow: You just gota love VW for this sort of thing. They must have had a department just thinking up little inconsistancies just to add a little eXtra interest for future VW enthusiasts:lol:

(just for the record my 58 is an original UK car)

Sunroof53
13 years ago

:mellow: You just gota love VW for this sort of thing. They must have had a department just thinking up little inconsistancies just to add a little eXtra interest for future VW enthusiasts:lol:

(just for the record my 58 is an original UK car)

harveypj wrote:

It's unbelievable that they changed such a small thing so many times ,My UK 53 probably is'nt a good reference as its an early UK car and i imagine once they started exporting more cars to english speaking countries they soon started to think about the small details .
Its always fun finding out though but i doubt we will find out the day they changed this detail.If there were enough original cars you could narrow it down to either side of the birthday but doubt that few cars still have the original card in the fusebox.

Martin have you made any progress with that registry you were doing?
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think as usual they provide more questions than answers!

WW sell a repro with German text for about $.50 so I'll probably just get one of those...unless you want to make me one Will... :wink:

Just had a thought, anyone got the 53-55 workshop manual handy to see if that shed's any light on it. I'll have a look at mine when I'm back home tonight.

55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

Martin have you made any progress with that registry you were doing?

Sunroof53 wrote:

Kind of. I asked Rob whether he thought it would be a good idea to have it as part of this site, which he did, so I'm waiting to see his first pass as what the pages will look like.