joebug1951
13 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

This is the motor going in my 62 RHD vert. Here are the specs.....

The engine was built using a 1965 D case 40hp engine block with cam bearings. The D case is the first case to have cam bearings. The crank is stock 40hp (I think NOS) with NOS stock main bearings and rebuilt rods. It has NOS 83mm big bore kit (NPR brand) and rebuilt 1965 square boss 373 casting 40hp heads (they call these formula vee heads because they used these heads to race), new valves, completely gone over and vintage 1960's aftermarket domed aluminum finned valve covers (very rare). The distributor is a blue screamer Bosch 019 distributor (rebuilt) and new German cap and rotor and German spark plug wires. It has a vintage Deitz aluminum duel carb intake from the early 1960's with 2 rebuilt Solex 28 PBIC-1 carbs with 12 volt chokes. The carbs have NOS motorcycle stacks on top of them. The engine has a modified 356 Porsche fan shroud to fit the 40hp VW engine with 356 Porsche carb linkage on the back of it and the restored Fram oil filter. The filter is mounted for looks and oil does not actually flow thru it. It could be fitted to actually work but robs the engine of some oil that it needs. The NOS linkage to the carbs is from a VW industrial engine. Generator is from a 1967 beetle and is 12 volt, The fuel pump and oil pump are new. New hoses with clamps, new original fan belt, all engine tins and shroud have been powder coated. Under the shroud is a 356 Porsche oil cooler for better colling. No heater boxes on this engine, it uses J tubes. This engine was built like a 1965 hill climb racing style.

Just really wanted it for the clean look factor, dont plan on racing anyone
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
Cool engine, thanks for posting! I think you should hook up the Fram though, what do you mean by it 'robs the engine of some of the oil it needs'?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

Cool engine, thanks for posting! I think you should hook up the Fram though, what do you mean by it 'robs the engine of some of the oil it needs'?

pre67vw wrote:

Yep cool engine.:d

I have to agree with Rob though; I never had any oil pressure problems with my Fram set-up over the period of 6+ years. The Fram to be honest only filters a small percentage of the engine oil at any one time. You also have to consider you also have to use an extra pint of oil when using the Fram which is no bad thing for lubrication and cooling.

John.
joebug1951
13 years ago

Yep cool engine.:d

I have to agree with Rob though; I never had any oil pressure problems with my Fram set-up over the period of 6+ years. The Fram to be honest only filters a small percentage of the engine oil at any one time. You also have to consider you also have to use an extra pint of oil when using the Fram which is no bad thing for lubrication and cooling.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

I read somewhere that it required more pressure to keep the oil flowing, but if you say you have had good success in running yours I may as well give it a try.