Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
cande83821
13 years ago
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Wow, that's a nice original car.:beer:

Too good for using as a daily driver, especially in the winter though. :mellow:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Lovely!

Rattletrap wrote:

But I hear it never rains in Southern California.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

This is the inside of my Ultra Maroon 1955

cande83821 wrote:

Great car!
Do you happen to know the production date?

Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
vintagebug
13 years ago
Very nice! Most of us can only dream of having an original car that's as good as that over here in the UK 😞

Btw, what's the radio that's in it? It looks different to the regular ones I've seen.

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago
Very Very Nice , One of my All Time Favourite Colour's.....
"Mr Stock"
cande83821
13 years ago

Wow, that's a nice original car.:beer:

Rattletrap wrote:

I"ve been driving it everyday since i bought it. I only have to drive about 5 miles a day to and from work. It does rain here but not very much and these cars were meant to be driven. I want to fix the little details on the car, I'm missing the proper taillights,semaphores, it needs fender replacement on the left side and some body work on the right side fenders otherwise it's all there. After purchading the car and finding out how hard it is to locate pre 55 parts I'm very fortunate to have found a car so complete. I bought the best car I could afford and I think it really paid off. Living in California IS a blessing !!

the radio is Big M with some unique faceplate I've only seen on one other car.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Lovely car!

I think I still have a nice working pair of correct dark orange lens 'B' suffix '55 semaphores available. Will check.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
cande83821
13 years ago
The outside is certainly not as nice as the inside but after I get a good set of fenders and polish it up a bit, I think it'll be just fine. Proper fenders for this car have been a bear to find. I think I've finally got a couple of good leads and should have the 2 rears and a good LF one lined up. I will just keep mothballing all the bits I need to eventually bring the car to the next level. The very best part of it all is how amazingly driveable the car has turned out to be. The car supposedly sat mostly un driven for the past 20 years until I got it. I've been driving it everyday for about a month. I merely changed the oil and put it to work. This is the earliest VW I've ever owned and coming out of a 1969 Bug with a 1776 dual Dellorto car was definetly a shock but I've learned to just slow down and relax. I get there eventually it just takes a little longer.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I will continue to polish it up and add better pieces as i find them. For now it's a Driver !!
cande83821
13 years ago
Here's the real damage. Both left side fenders are very rough. Fortunately it looks like I finally have my replacements lined up. It has been a tough to find them. Apparently the right fenders are 1953-1955 only. The fronts are smooth headlight buckets and no bullets or turn signals of any kind. The rears have the ribs and 4 holes down low for the Heart or Egg taillights.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And someday......

UserPostedImage
cande83821
13 years ago
Well, at least I have a nice left front fender. I just picked it up today and it's excellent. No damage or repairs needed except for the wire tube missing. It's original VW and price was very fair I think at $160.00. Now my 2 rear fenders should be here next week. This has been my main goal, to find these fenders. It wasn't easy. Now taillights and semaphores and a pair of 1951 California License plates and I'll be good for a while.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Caledfryn
13 years ago
The dents on those wings .. sorry .. 'fenders' 😉 don't look too bad. Were they beyond the help of a good panel beater or was it more cost effective to look for good second hand ones?
cande83821
13 years ago

The dents on those wings .. sorry .. 'fenders' 😉 don't look too bad. Were they beyond the help of a good panel beater or was it more cost effective to look for good second hand ones?

Caledfryn wrote:

I'm sure the left front fender can be repaired thaat's very expensive around here if I can locate someone who actually knows what there doing. I paid 160.00 for the blue fender(LF) and it's nearly perfect. I'll just paint it semi-gloss black and bolt it on and it's done. I'm sure I'd spend something like 200-300 to get the old one looking somewhat decent and have a bunch of filler on it. So I think replacement is best. But believe me I'm not throwing away the original one. That one goes up in the rafters for now. Hopefully I get as lucky with the two rear ones on the way. The LR fender is obviously the one that needs the most attention and the one that is most embarrising. Here's what's on the way...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage