gybemaster
13 years ago
I had been prepping to fit my heater boxes in replacement of the J-Tubes fitted to my 1956 Oval Beetle. However, after cutting the carpet on the driver side for the vent I pulled back the carpet on the passenger side to discover it had no vents. It looks like there has been a patch welded in maybe to clean up a an old rotten patch...shown in pic:

UserPostedImage

I need to put the vent back in, the whole channel is solid as a rock but whats the best way to get the vent back in there, easiest, simplest and most cost economical?

Heres a pic of the drivers side footwell of how I need it to look with the vents at the end just before it turns the corner to come around the bulkhead:

UserPostedImage

Is it possible to buy a segment from anywhere that would match the opposing side and fit my channel just to weld in?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Those 56 onwards style vents are commonly available on aftermarket complete channels and front sections. However my concern looking at the patches would be what you find underneath if you start digging, you could be opening up a whole can of worms :unsure:

54 Gertie
13 years ago

Those 56 onwards style vents are commonly available on aftermarket complete channels and front sections. However my concern looking at the patches would be what you find underneath if you start digging, you could be opening up a whole can of worms :unsure:

nev wrote:

Yep, looks like you've got patch over patch, with pigeon effluence holding it all together. :thumbdn:

William
THEBOFFIN
13 years ago

I had been prepping to fit my heater boxes in replacement of the J-Tubes fitted to my 1956 Oval Beetle. However, after cutting the carpet on the driver side for the vent I pulled back the carpet on the passenger side to discover it had no vents. It looks like there has been a patch welded in maybe to clean up a an old rotten patch...shown in pic:

UserPostedImage

I need to put the vent back in, the whole channel is solid as a rock but whats the best way to get the vent back in there, easiest, simplest and most cost economical?

Heres a pic of the drivers side footwell of how I need it to look with the vents at the end just before it turns the corner to come around the bulkhead:

UserPostedImage

Is it possible to buy a segment from anywhere that would match the opposing side and fit my channel just to weld in?

gybemaster wrote:

hi

i think i have just the vent piece from mu old 62 somewhere...but has the channel for the sliding door i think too!, free to you if you cover the postage?..on pick up from me at stanford hall?

lmk
cheers
adam