• Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
12 years ago
so which oil do you use in your vintage vw? :thumbup:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
12 years ago
In the past I've just used any old regular oil and never had any problems, now I've started using the Halfords 20w50 classic oil just because it makes me feel like I'm looking after it more.

I'd like to get some of the Castrol 20w50 just because I like the tin :d but it's a bit pricey, especially when you add the postage on top. I'm surprised more traders don't carry oil at shows.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Mike Peckham
12 years ago
I always used to use Morris's HD30 in all my aircooled VWs I started using Halford's 20w50 Classic because it seemed the right thing to do now that everything is MultiGrade. But I am now back to Morris's 30 as Heritage, which are only a 20 minute drive away has started stocking it.

There's probably no advantage to using a MonoGrade oil in an Aircooled VW these days as Multigrades are so good, but the old boys used to sware by them in the old days on the basis that the oil works harder in an air cooled engine and runs at higher operating temperatures. So using Morris's now is like a nod to the past...

Mike :thumbup:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
six-o-one
12 years ago
I've been using Comma Classic 30 as there's a local garage who stock it or, I pick up a can of Morris's HD 30 at a show if I remember.

https://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/260 
harveypj
12 years ago
I also use Morris oil.
The link below is from their site, there may be alternatives or maybe even better oil, but I don't think you can go far wrong with a brand company that was supplying oil in the air cooled era and now has a classic oil that they specifically recommend for the vw air cooled engine:thumbup:
I've not found another company that have such specific info published specifically on the classic vw requirements

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/lubricants/company.asp?wp=96 

Pete

Stock......the new custom
Mike Peckham
12 years ago

I also use Morris oil.
The link below is from their site, there may be alternatives or maybe even better oil, but I don't think you can go far wrong with a brand company that was supplying oil in the air cooled era and now has a classic oil that they specifically recommend for the vw air cooled engine:thumbup:
I've not found another company that have such specific info published specifically on the classic vw requirements

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/lubricants/company.asp?wp=96 

Pete

harveypj wrote:

Thanks for posting that link Pete, it makes very interesting reading. So it looks as though there are some very sounds reasons for continuing to use Monograde oils in our old VWs...

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
I always used to use Morris 30W but now I use Castrol Classic 20W/50
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.