klaus53
12 years ago
Afternoon all!

Bit of a problem - was tightning up the wheel bolts on the front left wheel and one of the bolt sheered off leaving the remainder of the bolt stuck in the hub!

Any advice on how best to get it out?

Slightly annoying as I'm off to Bad Camberg on Weds. This would happen at the last min!

Cheers!
1961 Type 1/11
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Try to weld a bolt to it.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Mike Peckham
12 years ago
Or try using an "Easy Out":

https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-set/18643 

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
zelensis61
12 years ago
Center punch it...drill with a smaller diameter until you reach the tread diameter minus 1 or 2 mm, Then punch the hole with a grinded Rebar on wich you grinded some angles.. Like triangle on a conus. Once that is stuck, you can get the remains out.
THis is how I did it once..or replace the drum :omg: .

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
GKL 7
12 years ago
At what point has it snapped off....Flush with the drum,inside the drum or has it left a stub stuck out from the drum?
lutty
12 years ago
Hi,

you can use an easy out. drill out the required hole size & the easy out screws in anticlockwise. This should turn the broken screw out
good luck
Dave
klaus53
12 years ago
Thanks all,

Luckily it wasn't that tight in when the bolt snapped so I managed to get the bloody thing out. The thread on the hub was fine thank god!

Am now all set for BC

Cheers.
1961 Type 1/11