54 Gertie
12 years ago
After months of waiting for enough time/money, I've finally finished the bodywork to get my '63 as it was pre crash. Hopefully the next big job will be an respray in the original Ruby Red, but for no the RO is protecting it nicely and not too offensive to the eyes.

:thumbup:

From this.

UserPostedImage

To this, took a a week of solid work, and a new door, wing, channel, and numerous other things doing/straightening...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
William
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
12 years ago
I didn't truly realise how bad the A-pillar was until I compared it to a good 'cut'. And this was after using rams to get it better, it was further 'in'.

UserPostedImage

And now.

UserPostedImage

Having done this...

(blue is new metal)

UserPostedImage

And this. (note the new channel)

UserPostedImage

William
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Bang tidy skills!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Oh no - you´ve ruined the "patina". :rofl:

Great work - good job.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
12 years ago
Thanks. I just took my time and it seemed to go okay, the finish isn't amazing due to my less than great filler/prep skills, but I'm pleased.
William
RoRoVw
12 years ago
Great to see it on the road again.
Well done!
69project
12 years ago
well done :beer:
Car less.....
pre67vw
12 years ago
Nice job!

And some cool photos as well... :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
12 years ago
Thanks. :thumbup:

And Rob, it was actually running and driving two days after 'the crash', and was in daily service for months until a couple of weeks ago. Poor little thing. :lol:
William
54 Gertie
12 years ago
The next thing on my hit list is that nasty carpet, cant stand it much longer. :lol: Then need to find some wide running board trim, then a nice pair of headlights...

It never ends does it *Bangs head on table in despair* :roll: :rofl:
William
Robb
12 years ago
looks great!

just spend a little time sorting out that door card 😉 details details

64rotbox
12 years ago
Nowt wrong with red oxide...
You can call me Al.
54 Gertie
12 years ago

looks great!

just spend a little time sorting out that door card 😉 details details

Robb wrote:

Yep, it needs a new backboard. Clearly got wet one too many times, and has expanded a lot. Also the piping has fallen off, it's all still there though so just needs a few hours with some new board and spray mount. Will get round to it some day, C'mon, I've only owned the car for nearly three years. :shock:
William
54 Gertie
12 years ago

Nowt wrong with red oxide...

64rotbox wrote:

:smile:

I'd like it shiney, but I far from dislike it as it is. TBH it's kind of nice it not having precious paintwork/exterior, means I haven't had to kill the child who ran into it on rollerblades and the few people who have reversed into it and bent the bumpers. :rofl:
William
GKL 7
12 years ago
Well done Will.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
Well done Will. That's really great work and you've done a great job managing to keep it on the road throughout.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
12 years ago
Keeping it on the road was a necessity really. TBH, I'd like to use the car less but public transport around here is biblically awful.

Thanks. The work itself is not overly fantastic, but these are not 'forever' repairs. Some day I see me buying a whole load of 'dry state' metal and welding in huge chunks of it, but for now it's solid and fairly straight.

8)
William