cupa65
12 years ago
The paint on my 65 which has 60000km is faded and in very poor condition. It looks like it went off the road in 75 and back on in 1999/ If it is OG it looks in fantastic condition.
bob-on
  • bob-on
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
It went off the road in '76 and then back on in 2006. From 2006 to 2010 it only did 300km, from 1976 to 1999 it was in a museum. Goes some way to explain the condition. :smile:
Old Blue
12 years ago

Oldblue,you mentioned you had two beetles.Your Oval,but what is the other you have?

GKL 7 wrote:

Our other bug is OldBlue our 1968 1200 grandads car then dads, then mine now dads again I have the 56 oval.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
12 years ago

Our other bug is OldBlue our 1968 1200 grandads car then dads, then mine now dads again I have the 56 oval.

Old Blue wrote:

We have other classics as well an og paint 1962 Minor and a 1972 blue Mini called Old Blue2
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
cupa65
12 years ago
What"s the underside of your wings like? Just stripped the underseal off the 65's wings. It's a story of " I stood in the middle of wing whilst painting it so missed the central wing edge!". There's no paint on the inside of the headlamp bowl. On the front edge just below the horn grill is solvent bubbles which I thought was rust. Should i paint the the inside or leave them OG? If it were a concours would I loose points?
bob-on
  • bob-on
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
I only stripped the underseal off the inside of 1 wing and it's pretty much as you describe! Only the bottom of the wing is painted, the top (if the wing is bolted to the car) has a light dusting of paint.

I wouldn't paint it, it's only ever original once and that cannot be replaced nor replicated. I wouldn't worry about concours points, if they wish to drop you points for having completely original paint even on the inside of the wing against someone who has had to repaint the inside of their wing then it's a hit I'd rather take than to lose original features.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
cupa65
12 years ago
Just sprayed the wings with Techtyl wax. OG all the way!
bob-on
  • bob-on
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
Glad to hear it!!! :thumbup:

@ six-o-one - you need to clear your inbox out.