Rustbuyer
12 years ago
Hi,

I thought I would wait and say hello to the forum once I got my beetle on the road.
Hello!
I'd known about the car for a while , but it took a number of years to get it at a mutually agreeable price.
The engine needed new barrels and pistons and the braking system replaced after lying 35 odd years, however one small rust repair to the battery tray made up for that. I will get the interior and a bit of paint later, but in the meantime I will just use it as is.
I think it's a late 55 early 56 not sure, had a thin slot big nut generator on board , replaced that with a later unit that did work!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Nice :thumbup: One more on the road. Andy W
six-o-one
12 years ago
Wow, that's a nice find! Well worth waiting for, well done and welcome to pre67vw.

8)

Malc
vintagebug
12 years ago

Nice find! And you're in my neck of the woods as well! Did you find it locally? If it's all original then that's an amazingly lovely "survivor".

Good luck with it & I hope to see you out & about in it :d

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
Lovely find. Please let me know when you want to sell it :wink:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
kdf38
12 years ago
Covering the License Plate will probably do no good, as these guys will remember the number after seeing the car once about 50 years ago!!! :lol:

Nice :thumbup: One more on the road. Andy W

AW wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
Rustbuyer
12 years ago
Thanks for the comments chaps.
I did find it locally, just took 5 years to get it!
Unfortunately storage has taken it's toll on the paint work on both bonnet and roof.
I do intend to use it regularly, as long as there is no salt on the road, up here that equates to about 42 days a year!
vintagebug
12 years ago

I did find it locally, just took 5 years to get it!

Rustbuyer wrote:

OK, so now you've made me jealous. An Oval on my own doorstep & I didn't know about it! :oops:

up here that equates to about 42 days a year!

Rustbuyer wrote:

So you live on the sunny side of Glasgow then!! :d

Dave
Old Blue
12 years ago

Covering the License Plate will probably do no good, as these guys will remember the number after seeing the car once about 50 years ago!!! :lol:

kdf38 wrote:

Why do people do that? Nice car (1956?) and lucky owner.:beer:

1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Lost64
12 years ago
Very nice indeed. There seem to be a few green Ovals coming out of the woodwork just now. I didn't know about this one either. Vintagebug and I are losing our touch up here in Scotland!!

Best of luck with it.
Mike Peckham
12 years ago
Lovely looking car, looks very honest. I like the late ovals in preference to the early (pre 08/55) models. They have all the charm and solid build quality of the earlier ones but include a few nice refinements that make them that bit nicer to drive.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure from it.

Why do people do that?

Old Blue wrote:

Not sure, but then I've never understood why people don't use their real names on internet forums :wink:

Mike :thumbup:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Old Blue
12 years ago

I've never understood why people don't use their real names on internet forums :wink:

Mike Peckham wrote:

Why do you use your real name when most everyone else here has a username, a practice encouraged by most forums:?

1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
12 years ago

Lovely looking car, looks very honest. I like the late ovals in preference to the early (pre 08/55) models. They have all the charm and solid build quality of the earlier ones but include a few nice refinements that make them that bit nicer to drive.

Mike Peckham wrote:

Not so. I had a 54 years ago and it felt a lot better build quality wise than the 56 we have now. The doors for a start are more solid and chunky with their ribbed inner panel surround and huge latches. It felt generally more capable on the road too.

Mike Peckham
12 years ago

Why do you use your real name when most everyone else here has a username, a practice encouraged by most forums:?

Old Blue wrote:

Because, I am a member of several forums (not VW related) where a condition of membership is the use of real names. It does seem to make a difference to the way the membership relate to one another and I would say that people show far more respect towards their fellow forum members when they feel they are communicating with real people.

This has to be amongst the best VW forums on the net, the only thing (in my view) that would make it better would be the use of real names as this would likely reduce the amount of bikering that goes on.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Mike Peckham
12 years ago

Not so. I had a 54 years ago and it felt a lot better build quality wise than the 56 we have now. The doors for a start are more solid and chunky with their ribbed inner panel surround and huge latches. It felt generally more capable on the road too.

Old Blue wrote:

It was just my opinion, having owned a number of beetles, both pre and post 08/55 and in the early eighties used both as daily drivers, that was the view that I came to.

But it's good to hear other people's opinions. :smile:

Rustbuyer
12 years ago
There you go.............
UserPostedImage

Regards, Hugh Janus
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

UserPostedImage

Regards, Hugh Janus

Rustbuyer wrote:

Was that not a pinninfarina design that got thrown out by VW :rofl: :rofl:

Andy W
vintagebug
12 years ago

UserPostedImage

Regards, Hugh Janus

Rustbuyer wrote:

Mike, you're right- it IS nice to see folk using their real name...

:d :d :d

Dave
vintagebug
12 years ago

BTW, what's the decal on the engine lid?

Dave (real name)
Dave
Mike Peckham
12 years ago

UserPostedImage

Regards, Hugh Janus

Rustbuyer wrote:

:lol: :lol: