monstermoo
12 years ago
Just got round to changing the CB ropped spindles on our 60 bug and replacing them with what I hope are standard spindles.

Trouble is, now the wheel hubs won't fit on the spindles as the shaft diameter is bigger than the inner diameter of the wheel bearings 😞

The CB spindles that came off the car appear straight cut, whereas the ones I have just fitted are tapered and I'm told were from a SA 61 bug pick-up.

Can anyone tell me what wheel bearings I will need to order to get the hubs back on?

Many thanks

Steve
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
monstermoo
12 years ago
Further info is that the diameter of the CB dropped spindles is approx 25mm whereas the widest diameter on the standard spindles is approx 30mm.

I can only assume this is a year specific issue?

UserPostedImage

Above = CB dropped spindle as removed today (approx 25mm dia.)

UserPostedImage

Above = newly fitted spindle (approx 30mm dia. at the widest point)

Can anyone tell me if these tapered spindles are correct for the car (they seemed to fit with the rest of the knuckle assembly ok) and what I bearings I need to suit them? Also, will the appropriate bearings be compatible with my current hubs?

Would really appreciate any help on this one as I'm rapidly falling out of love with the car, because no job seems to go smoothly 😞

Thanks
vwJim
12 years ago
The straight spindles are early, and the taper ones are later. Not sure the year change as I'm more of a bus person. And if the T1's are anything like the T2's, then the brakes aren't compatible so its not just a case of changing the bearings.