BD55
  • BD55
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
Anyone know who sells the 40hp 83mm big bore kit here in the UK? I know they are available in the US.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Robb
12 years ago
mahle used to sell them.

i bought a set a few years back, but not sure they are still available.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
Try John Maher Racing...Tel:. 01870 602519
or email: [email protected]

https://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/index.html 
John.
BD55
  • BD55
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
Thanks John, thinking about fitting some to a 30hp in my attempt at a vintage 'speed' engine in my bus... :unsure:
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Thanks John, thinking about fitting some to a 30hp in my attempt at a vintage 'speed' engine in my bus... :unsure:

BD55 wrote:

The big bore kits are for the 34hp engines. It will take machine shop work to fit larger pistons and cylinders to a 30hp engine and then you get into upgrading the crank and other ancillary bits.
John.
ianmac
12 years ago

BD55 wrote:

Check the vintage speed forum on the samba, lots of good ideas there ! I have been building a 'hot' 30hp motor for some time, I have opted for a 72mm stroker crank and stock size pistons. I have had some serious head work and a hot cam. Seriously addictive the vintage speed thing. Check Andi (Oval56) webpage he has built a couple of seriously nice 30hp motors, https://www.oval56.com 8)
BD55
  • BD55
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
Thanks for the replies and links... just trying to work things out, don't laugh but this will be going in a bus with reduction gears so it will be restricted by the gearing but i need to build an engine anyway so i thought i'd try and get a bit more power at the same time.

Not really sure which route to take,thought about just rebuilding/balancing the bottom and fitting the WW Okrasa kit, with maybe the 40hp 83mm kit but really not sure...Any thoughts or advise please
ianmac
12 years ago

Thanks for the replies and links... just trying to work things out, don't laugh but this will be going in a bus with reduction gears so it will be restricted by the gearing but i need to build an engine anyway so i thought i'd try and get a bit more power at the same time.

Not really sure which route to take,thought about just rebuilding/balancing the bottom and fitting the WW Okrasa kit, with maybe the 40hp 83mm kit but really not sure...Any thoughts or advise please

BD55 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the gearing, I assume if you want to build a hot 30hp motor for a bus you will want more torque rather than power? for this I would look to fit a larger crank, a 72mm crank will fit without clearancing the case my crank came from DPR machine in the USA, the WW kit looks good and wasn't available when I started my collection hence why I had the stock 30hp heads rebuilt, so by using the Okrasa heads and twin carbs will make a big difference, I would probably look to having the WW okrasa heads reworked to gain more performance. I maybe wrong but I think using larger barrels causes other issues mainly due to head studs, but is possible with quite a bit of work.

Check out the vintage speed thread on thesamba it will give you great inspiration and ideas8)
Kjell Roar
12 years ago
VW Heritage got the set:

https://vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Barrel-Pistons-83x64-1384cc-69-SINGLE-RELIEF-CASE-ONLY_act_shop.product_pID_183587_lang_EN_country_GB.htm 

I have bought one set, for my old 30hk/36hp. Ref. theSamba.com for fitting.

:smile:

August 55 T1- one of the first 56' (# 30).