pre67vw
12 years ago
I used to work for a company who had a Jewish director, he made it company policy that no company cars were to be German. I don't think the company has that policy any more though, it got almost impossible!

I don't think there's many people who still hold a grudge though, even those directly affected by WW2. There was a TV show in the summer, where soldiers on both sides recalled some of their memories - there was one bit where a brit was shaking hands with the German pilot who shot him down over Germany.

I think it's slipped into the realms of humour rather than any genuine hate, the fawlty towers 'don't mention the war' type thing.

Having said that, there are still a huge number of people who are very uneasy about seeing a swastika.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
12 years ago

He can be a bit rude about Albanians too.

rudolf hucker wrote:

Only Albanians who have never been to Albania.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Yes you are, you should be ashamed of yourself. 😳 Do you get upset when an American calls you a 'brit', or if an ozzy calls you a pom? Have you never called an American car a Yank car? All of a sudden you have a problem with someone using the abreviation Jap?

:wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Well having Japanese friends in the hobby I can tell you they do find the abbreviations offensive. Also The Samba attracts a lot more Japanese posters than Pre67 and any use of those terms are removed immediately. It's not if I find it offensive...it's if the people they are referring to find it offensive.

Having said that...you offend my friends, you offend me.

BTW...No problems with Albanians...just Rudy. To be truthful, to know Rudy is to love him.:wink:

John.
Old Blue
12 years ago
I seem to have opened a can of worms with this thread. My wife is of Jewish descent, hence I suppose her justified dislike of Beetles which she considers a legacy of Adolf Hitler, no Hitler, no Beetle she says.

My feeling is that as far as Beetles are concerned, the ultimate goal is to own one from before March 1948, built under British control, 'The Holy Grail' as they are often called in VW magazines. But maybe not one from before 1945, being the 'Nazi' car.

Rich posts here that displaying his 1947 Beetle at generic shows attracts no more attention than any other early Beetle. Does he clearly display the interesting English connection of this car? Stick a Union Jack somewhere on it, I would, and with the history written underneath for people to read once the flag has got their attention.

How many of these 1945-48s are in existence around the world? Never seen one for sale here since the one I regretably missed out on at Southerby's auction at Brooklands in 1999.

1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
12 years ago

Well having Japanese friends in the hobby I can tell you they do find the abbreviations offensive. Also The Samba attracts a lot more Japanese posters than Pre67 and any use of those terms are removed immediately. It's not if I find it offensive...it's if the people they are referring to find it offensive.

BTW...No problems with Albanians...just Rudy. To be truthful, to know Rudy is to love him.:wink:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Seriously? God help them if they're interested in motorbikes then, the term Jap bikes is all over the place - and it's in no way used as a derogatory term.

I hate political correctness, but maybe thats a prejudice.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
12 years ago

I seem to have opened a can of worms with this thread. My wife is of Jewish descent, hence I suppose her justified dislike of Beetles which she considers a legacy of Adolf Hitler, no Hitler, no Beetle she says.

Old Blue wrote:

You should buy her this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extraordinary-Life-Josef-Ganz-Volkswagen/dp/1614122016/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322824125&sr=8-1-spell 

Obviously won't change her opinion of Hitler, but it's a very interesting insite into the technology of the Beetle - and there's a very good chance that the Beetle wouldn't have existed without this man as well... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
12 years ago

Getting into very deep territory now which I could go on about for a very long time.
However, briefly(!) this is where I am coming from:
Ignoring politics and the German connections of our Royal family I firmly believe that the majority of the ordinary British people fought and contributed in WW2 for all the right reasons.
My father fought the Japs in Burma at Kohima, survived the war but died young as a result of his experiences - would have nothing to do with any Japs.
My first wife's father was captured by the Japs at Singapore, was one of the few to escape but died young from his experiences.
My (current!) wife's father was shot by the Germans in North Africa who then machine gunned the ambulance and shot him again, he died young as a direct result. Hated Germans.
My grandmother worked in the War Office throughout WW2 interpreting German and Jap intelligence, a devout, kind Christian woman who after the war would have nothing to do with any of them.
I have harboured a lingering doubt that the Germans/Japs have put everything behind them and this was confirmed when I went to a corporate do at Watford football club some years ago. Henkel (makers of Pritt sticks and Unibond PVA glue etc) sponsored Watford and were openly boasting about having made gas for the Holocaust.
10BXK although 8 years older and 6V was a much better car than our 100E Ford Anglia.
I have accepted that we are better off in IT and finance than making cars
I decided that the year 2000 was a good time to put my prejudices behind me, be nice to them, bought my first German car and two years after that bought my first Jap car and Jap TV.

merchantrader wrote:

Are we living in a parallel universe here?:shock:

We too saw 10BXK (Rattletrap) locally to where we lived, Middlesex, in the early '60s. I was just a boy but enthralled by seeing this strange car which then had US Forces in Germany number plates on it. Dad had been through the war and at the time wouldn't have a look at this VW. We too had a Ford Anglia at the time 1950, same as 10 BXK, and I thought how much more modern and better the Beetle looked.

Some years later noting all the other Beetles springing up everywhere, Dad bought a Beetle, 'Old Blue' the '68 that we still have to this day. Dad went from being a little anti-German to adoring his Beetle. Going through all his Beetle bits the other day has also revealed a newspaper cutting from the 1960s which shows a group of school children being shown around Rattletrap at a road safety event! Of note is that even then it has the deluxe rear window trim not normally seen on a VW from that year.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
I know a few Jewish Americans who own Beetles. One whom a lot of you will know; Glenn Ring has owned his 74 Beetle from new and says he would have little trouble owning an early post-war Beetle but wouldn't have a WWII one. It's all a very personal thing.
John.
Old Blue
12 years ago

You should buy her this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extraordinary-Life-Josef-Ganz-Volkswagen/dp/1614122016/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322824125&sr=8-1-spell 

Obviously won't change her opinion of Hitler, but it's a very interesting insite into the technology of the Beetle - and there's a very good chance that the Beetle wouldn't have existed without this man as well... :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Certainly may weaken her resolve..8)

pre67vw
12 years ago

I know a few Jewish Americans who own Beetles. One whom a lot of you will know; Glenn Ring has owned his 74 Beetle from new and says he would have little trouble owning an early post-war Beetle but wouldn't have a WWII one. It's all a very personal thing.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Also, don't forget that the success of the VW in America that was largely down to the Doyle Dane Bernbach advertising campaign... ("two Jews and an Irishman")
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
12 years ago

10BXK (Rattletrap) 1950.

Old Blue wrote:

Quack Quack Oopps!!

WRONG.:thumbdn:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
A friend of mine owned a occupying forces built Kubelwagen Now thats an intresting thourght :?

Andy w
merchantrader
12 years ago

Are we living in a parallel universe here?:shock:

We too saw 10BXK (Rattletrap) locally to where we lived, Middlesex, in the early '60s. I was just a boy but enthralled by seeing this strange car which then had US Forces in Germany number plates on it. Dad had been through the war and at the time wouldn't have a look at this VW. We too had a Ford Anglia at the time 1950, same as 10 BXK, and I thought how much more modern and better the Beetle looked.

Some years later noting all the other Beetles springing up everywhere, Dad bought a Beetle, 'Old Blue' the '68 that we still have to this day. Dad went from being a little anti-German to adoring his Beetle. Going through all his Beetle bits the other day has also revealed a newspaper cutting from the 1960s which shows a group of school children being shown around Rattletrap at a road safety event! Of note is that even then it has the deluxe rear window trim not normally seen on a VW from that year.

Old Blue wrote:

Yes I think we are. Our Anglia was 1958 but still with a 1172cc side valve engine, 3 speed box, vacuum operated wipers etc. Reg 723 TMD, Colour Durham Beige, bought new from Raymond May Motors in London, had 2 recon engines and lots of decokes (despite regular use of Redex)sold late 1967. 10BXK drove better, even handled better (whether this was because Tony Levy was a better driver than my dad and/or because 10BXK had Michelin Xs and my dad insisted on buying remould cross plys I do not know)and best of all 10BXK had electric windscreen wipers.
Hate to tell you this but I have also a penchant for Morris Minors and Minis.
merchantrader
12 years ago

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

No offence implied or intended to anyone
I am intrigued what they make of
www.japfest.co.uk, www.japshow.co.uk, www.japcarsmad.co.uk, www.fastjapcars.com, www.ultimatejapcars.co.uk, www.hampshirejapcars.co.uk etc etc.

I presume that they do not fly on the Japanese national airline ANA - All Nippon Airways.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

No offence implied or intended to anyone
I am intrigued what they make of
www.japfest.co.uk, www.japshow.co.uk, www.japcarsmad.co.uk, www.fastjapcars.com, www.ultimatejapcars.co.uk, www.hampshirejapcars.co.uk etc etc.

I presume that they do not fly on the Japanese national airline ANA - All Nippon Airways.

merchantrader wrote:

I know and it's probably not my place to be offended but if you moderate forums you tend to have to think not of just the people to whom you are directly replying. With a German car forum you have to kind of have eyes in the back of your head. The 38 prototype topic on The Samba has attracted over 2 million hits and runs to nearly 200 pages...you should have seen some of the stuff removed from that one.

Try writing the derogatory word for a black person in a Samba post...even any word approaching it and see the result...it's not possible to post it.
John.
GKL 7
12 years ago
Sambas full of haters,take a look at the thread about the recently unearthed Kdf 20.
I hope the guy really does have that car.Everyone over there seems to begrudge it.
Doesn't surprise me the 38 thread had to be edited.

IMHO John was right to bring the matter of referring to another nationality as you did.
I am probably the last person on here to be referred to as PC.But if you are going to come the high and mighty you may aswell get it right.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Sambas full of haters,take a look at the thread about the recently unearthed Kdf 20.
I hope the guy really does have that car.Everyone over there seems to begrudge it.
Doesn't surprise me the 38 thread had to be edited.

GKL 7 wrote:

Hmmm that wasn't my impression from reading it in one go this afternoon George. Just like the 38 there are a scattering of passing gawpers who want cast iron proof from day one but as we know, it doesn't happen like that.

Once the heavyweights pitch in to the discussion the doubters will shut up if the facts bear out the early indications. I think it has the makings of another interesting thread.

The editing of the 38 topic was a mixtures of repetition, leave it as it is, Neo-Nazi Hitler lovers and other brainless idiots. When you consider it was the most widely read VW topic on The Internet you were bound to get percentage of rubbish written.

John.
GKL 7
12 years ago

Once the heavyweights pitch in to the discussion the doubters will shut up if the facts bear out the early indications.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

I agree totally with this comment John.Could be a fantastic thread like that of the 38.

I personally would have waited for the evidence to prove or disprove the originality of the car before i had weighed in tho'.Unlike many over there.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

I personally would have waited for the evidence to prove or disprove the originality of the car before i had weighed in tho'.Unlike many over there.

GKL 7 wrote:

Drive-by shootings are a US tradition.:wink:

John.
Old Blue
12 years ago

Yes I think we are. Our Anglia was 1958 but still with a 1172cc side valve engine, 3 speed box, vacuum operated wipers etc. Reg 723 TMD, Colour Durham Beige, bought new from Raymond May Motors in London, had 2 recon engines and lots of decokes (despite regular use of Redex)sold late 1967. 10BXK drove better, even handled better (whether this was because Tony Levy was a better driver than my dad and/or because 10BXK had Michelin Xs and my dad insisted on buying remould cross plys I do not know)and best of all 10BXK had electric windscreen wipers.
Hate to tell you this but I have also a penchant for Morris Minors and Minis.

merchantrader wrote:

How on earth do you remember such detail from 50 years ago! You say your Anglia was 8 years newer than Rattletrap. I thought that the modern finned inverted rear window Super Anglia came out in 1958? 10 BXK driving better than that is an achievement. This Anglia's design is twenty years later than the Beetle's. But it is a Ford...

I cannot remember the registration of our 1950 Anglia. It was the pre-war 'upright' style, and had no direction indicators, I remember well Dad doing hand signals driving it. I do vaguely remember talking to Tony Levy back then when he came out to 10BXK Rattletrap while I was admiring it outside the shops. I can only remember that it was a 1950 car because it was the the same year as our Anglia when Tony talked to me, the wide-eyed boy, about it. He showed me the engine in the back also I recall. Our Anglia made way for a barge of a car, a 1962/3 Vauxhall Cresta that soon went rotten and was replaced with a Minor that went likewise. Then came our Old Blue a car that's never had any rot.