59 Ragtop
2011-12-17T10:53:46Z

Thats good to know. Lovely looking car that.
59 Ragtop
2011-12-17T11:00:47Z

Was a tad young for the discos when i used to go. Can remember camping with the ssvc in the early days, can remember thinking as a kid that i was amazed that there were so many different styles of cars, but still all vws:smile: Oh and the grand parade was great too. Also loved the early bug ins at malvern, before it became bvf...
Mike Peckham
2011-12-17T13:42:40Z
OK, hopefully it'll upload this time:

Action '81 I think...
Mike Peckham attached the following image(s):

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Old Blue
2011-12-17T14:32:58Z
Interesting too see how Ovals were of low regard in those early days, with them being battered about and driven through the mud at the early VW events. Advert in an old (1977) Exchange and Mart of Dad's has a 1954 Beetle for sale with a year's test at £170, another a 1957 for a whopping £190!

As for Splits, they really did seem to be like hen's teeth here in England. Up until going along with Dad to an early VW Action in 1977, I'd nether seen another since seeing 10 BXK years earlier. But I'm sure on the continent you could have picked one up for a few hundred pounds.

If one was to have a UK history VW museum, three must haves would surely be JLT 420, 10 BXK and MRT 308. I think that all three still reside in the UK, which is an achievement in itself.:thumbup:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
AW
  •  AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
2011-12-17T14:55:56Z
Old Blue wrote:

Interesting too see how Ovals were of low regard in those early days, with them being battered about and driven through the mud at the early VW events. Advert in an old (1977) Exchange and Mart of Dad's has a 1954 Beetle for sale with a year's test at £170, another a 1957 for a whopping £190!

As for Splits, they really did seem to be like hen's teeth here in England. Up until going along with Dad to an early VW Action in 1977, I'd nether seen another since seeing 10 BXK years earlier. But I'm sure on the continent you could have picked one up for a few hundred pounds.

If one was to have a UK history VW museum, three must haves would surely be JLT 420, 10 BXK and MRT 308. I think that all three still reside in the UK, which is an achievement in itself.:thumbup:




For me the internet has made the world a much smaller place. Being away from the VW circuit for some time i was amased at how many L-H-D cars are at the shows now in the U/K.

As Old Blue says above about Ovals were of low regard. Yes i can remember seeing poor examples of them and am guilty of such a crime myself. But as for the splits am i right in thinking that thay would have been all private imports?????? A lot harder back then for the common man to do than today.

In post number 10 by rudolf hucker is the green 1303 cabro that of Master class winner Jack Sanor of the oval in North Anston ?????





Andy W
Old Blue
2011-12-17T15:03:18Z
AW wrote:

As Old Blue says above about Ovals were of low regard. Yes i can remember seeing poor examples of them and am guilty of such a crime myself. But as for the splits am i right in thinking that thay would have been all private imports?????? A lot harder back then for the common man to do than today.

Andy W


MRT 308 a 1952 Beetle was claimed to be the first VW built for the UK, it is right hand drive and came here brand new apparently.

JLT 420 a 1947 Beetle and left hand drive was a private import, but the first Beetle to be sold in the UK.

1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
AW
  •  AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
2011-12-17T15:50:46Z
Guilty as charged sir I did many miles in this car and to be honest had the most fun with her over the years. Sat on a 1500 pan this car was number one or two for Guilders of Sheffield.

At the time i did not know or she would have had a better life with me :cry: She was going to be put back to as origional as i could get her but some one made me an offer and so i sold her.


( and thay say the ******* is new ?????? Photos are about 87? at Action
AW attached the following image(s):
rudolf hucker
2011-12-17T16:40:09Z
AW The green cabrio could well be Jack Sanors car. It was a regular at Stanford Hall. If it was his car he would not have been pleased to see the mud as the car was VERY clean.

59 Ragtop. There was an early Bug In at Castle Ashby.
rudolf hucker attached the following image(s):
59 Ragtop
2011-12-18T12:47:17Z
Wasnt aware of that. Got any pics Rudy?

Tom
AW
  •  AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
2011-12-18T18:14:59Z
Before Stanford hall started with event plaques there was a trader selling a plaque and you could have what you wanted on them. These are two i had done to remember the event.

Andy W
AW attached the following image(s):
Old Blue
2011-12-19T09:58:42Z
AW wrote:

Guilty as charged sir I did many miles in this car and to be honest had the most fun with her over the years. Sat on a 1500 pan this car was number one or two for Guilders of Sheffield.

At the time i did not know or she would have had a better life with me :cry: She was going to be put back to as origional as i could get her but some one made me an offer and so i sold her.


( and thay say the ******* is new ?????? Photos are about 87? at Action


Shocking way to treat an old lady - but you forgot to finish the job and lower it into the weeds. What's with the 1964 registration, didn't think the 1500 was around then :?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
rudolf hucker
2011-12-19T10:24:58Z
59 Ragtop.......i do have some photos of Castle Ashby...mainly custom/modified though and all are slides. The photos I am posting now are all digi photos of old prints, hence the quality.


AW There were event plaques before 1982...see below. Some of the ones you have were given to the concorse entrants and had the car reg on them. Stanford Hall also produced a Split Beetle model with Stanford Hall 85 on the side.
rudolf hucker attached the following image(s):
AW
  •  AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
2011-12-19T11:14:08Z
Thats right old blue she had a three way split personality :d :d


Andy W
Mike Peckham
2011-12-19T11:48:38Z
rudolf hucker wrote:

59 Ragtop.......i do have some photos of Castle Ashby...mainly custom/modified though and all are slides. The photos I am posting now are all digi photos of old prints, hence the quality.



I’d be interested in seeing any of the photos you took at Castle Ashby. I was there in my 71 1200 Beetle. It was a comparatively local show as I was living in Bedford at the time. It was memorable for me in that a friend had borrowed my beetle a few days before and broken the lock on the petrol filler cap when he went to put some petrol in it. He couldn’t find the remote pull under the dash and forced the flap open with a screwdriver!

I picked up a second hand one from Bug In, so it was worth the trip.

I don’t remember much about the cars but one Split Screen Camper Van stands out in my mind, it was in the car park with a For Sale sign in the window. It had been driven to the UK from South Africa by it’s original owner and was in incredibly sound condition. I wasn’t in a position to buy it but drooled over it for a while.

Mike :thumbup:


July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
rudolf hucker
2011-12-19T11:52:11Z
Mike

The pictures I have are all slides. I do have a slide copier which I have borrowed but have not used yet (bit of a technodunce). Watch this space.

I remember it was very hot and the afternoon broke with a thunderstorm.

Rudy
rudolf hucker
2011-12-19T11:54:51Z
AW

Your car had a three way OVAL personality surely?:wink:
AW
  •  AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
2011-12-19T13:56:12Z
rudolf hucker wrote:

AW

Your car had a three way OVAL personality surely?:wink:




:thumbup:



Andy W
GKL 7
2011-12-19T16:10:20Z
rudolf hucker wrote:

There was an early Bug In at Castle Ashby.




That was one of the hottest days in the UK i can remember.
I don't know Rudy,all these years we've been walking around ignoring each other:wink: To speak only last B.C, MAD.
rudolf hucker
2011-12-19T16:21:52Z
I must be getting careless in my old age. I usually ignore everyone.
AW
  •  AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
2011-12-19T17:00:14Z
Taken at Action many years ago Any one know the car or where it is now ???????????


Andy W
AW attached the following image(s):