Rich Oakley
12 years ago

I believe that LAL23 was a '47, but according to Old Blue at the start of this thread, it's a '46. It belonged to Derek Smith, he also owned SLH16 that you've pictured. I think that both cars went of to the States back in the mid 1980's.:wink:

Rattletrap wrote:

LAL23 is an April 1947 car.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Old Blue
12 years ago

LAL23 is an April 1947 car.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Dad used to talk to the owners and write down details about their car. He has LAL23 down as 1946. I also have the photo he took and it has the back number plate light type before the nose shaped one that later splits have from 1947.

Dad's list of VWs at VW Action back in the 1970s as said earlier, and he was pleased to get each consecutive year of split production from 1946-1952:

1946 - LAL 23, Derek Smith
1947 - JLT 420, Colbourne's Garages
1948 - 1948 VW, Jim Murray
1949 - TJJ 62, Rod Sleigh
1950 - 10 BXK, Tony Levy
1951 - SLH 16, Derek Smith
1952 - MRT 308, John Miller
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
GKL 7
12 years ago

Dad's list of VWs at VW Action back in the 1970s

Old Blue wrote:

Why did he miss 1950 out and list a Zwitter in it's place:sneaky:
Rattletrap
12 years ago

Dad used to talk to the owners and write down details about their car. He has LAL23 down as 1946. I also have the photo he took and it has the back number plate light type before the nose shaped one that later splits have from 1947.

Dad's list of VWs at VW Action back in the 1970s as said earlier, and he was pleased to get each consecutive year of split production from 1946-1952:

1946 - LAL 23, Derek Smith
1947 - JLT 420, Colbourne's Garages
1948 - 1948 VW, Jim Murray
1949 - TJJ 62, Rod Sleigh
1950 - 10 BXK, Tony Levy
1951 - SLH 16, Derek Smith
1952 - MRT 308, John Miller

Old Blue wrote:

Ah, those halcyon days...:smile:

No age related plates either, I just love these cars, the days before the influx of all those Swedish imports.8)
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
12 years ago

the days before the influx of all those Swedish imports

Rattletrap wrote:

What's wrong with them?Some one has to replace the numbers.
Only 2 cars on the list are still in mainland UK
Rattletrap
12 years ago

What's wrong with them?Some one has to replace the numbers.
Only 2 cars on the list are still in mainland UK

GKL 7 wrote:

I'm proud to own one of those two on Old Blue's list still here after all those years.:wink:

But that list isn't exhaustive, there are other splits that have resided in the UK for many, many years and are similarly regarded as 'UK' splits, that is cars from those very early days of Volkswagens in the UK. My 1947 Type I for example was here in the late 1950s. My 1951 Standard, 349 GMO, has been here since 1956.

This interesting point raises the question, what is the total of early import splits still here on the mainland:?

There is nothing of course wrong with later imports, I imported my 1949 Deluxe from Belgium in 1985 because it was far more original and unused than anything here, or most anywhere infact. Its just more special to me when a car harks back to those early days here and embryo UK shows - the halcyon days.:smile:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

Old Blue wrote:

Sorry, you're wrong, it is a '47.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
12 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

True this.
I always knew it as a '47.
GKL 7
12 years ago

I imported my 1949 Deluxe from Belgium in 1985 because it was far more original and unused than anything here,

Rattletrap wrote:

Exactly the same reasons for importing from Sweden.

I thought Harvey Simpson imported that car from Belgium.
Old Blue
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Back in those days I don't think that the term Zwitter existed, and indeed knowledge of split window details was not so thorough. Dad would probably not thought much about different lights, bumpers or whatever on 10BXK, more that they had been replaced over the years. He took down the details of each car when talking to their owners and taking photos, that includes LAL23 which is noted as 1946, and indeed looks such to myself. His list of years is correct as far as I'm concerned.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
12 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

Old Blue
12 years ago

True this.
I always knew it as a '47.

GKL 7 wrote:

Do you both go to shows and fault people's cars, that you know more about it than the owner, this is wrong, thats wrong, thats a later part etc, etc.

I like to go along and just enjoy seeing the cars for what they are.

pre67vw
12 years ago

Do you both go to shows and fault people's cars, that you know more about it than the owner, this is wrong, thats wrong, thats a later part etc, etc.

I like to go along and just enjoy seeing the cars for what they are.

Old Blue wrote:

Are you not at all bothered about originality? Do you always just believe what the owner tells you regardless of your own knowledge? Some people enjoy cars for what they are, others like originality - neither is a right or wrong way of enjoying the hobby.

I don't know the car in question, but it's usually pretty straight forward to find the year if you know the chassis number.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

Are you not at all bothered about originality? Do you always just believe what the owner tells you regardless of your own knowledge? Some people enjoy cars for what they are, others like originality - neither is a right or wrong way of enjoying the hobby.

I don't know the car in question, but it's usually pretty straight forward to find the year if you know the chassis number.

pre67vw wrote:

Indeed Rob.

The chassis number of LAL 23 is 64229. It was built on 14th April 1947!
Rattletrap
12 years ago

Indeed Rob.

The chassis number of LAL 23 is 64229. It was built on 14th April 1947!

Rich Oakley wrote:

Always thought it was a 1947 car, I'm sure Derek Smith advertised it as such when he sold that and his other split, the '51 off back in the '80s. I think that there is one 1946 here in the UK, owned by Paul Blofield.

I think that the rest of the list is correct though.:wink:
Rattletrap
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

[-x

Exactly the same reasons for importing from Sweden.

I thought Harvey Simpson imported that car from Belgium.

GKL 7 wrote:

Harvey offered me the car that was kept in a Belgium barn by the widow of the first owner who'd passed away.

I agreed to buy it unseen (very good result too), and he bought it over for me. It would probably not come to the UK otherwise.8)
GKL 7
12 years ago

he bought it over

Rattletrap wrote:

So Harvey Simpson DID indeed import YSV 1.
GKL 7
12 years ago

Dad used to talk to the owners and write down details about their car.

Old Blue wrote:

Does your dad collect train locomotive numbers aswell? :cry:

Neither Rich or i walk around shows pulling holes in peoples cars.
But you made a statement on a fact based forum,that was incorrect.All we did was take the time out to point you in the right direction.
Rattletrap
12 years ago

So Harvey Simpson DID indeed import YSV 1.

GKL 7 wrote:

He imported it for and on my behalf.

It wouldn't have been imported to the UK otherwise. It would have almost certainly gone to Canada, but Harvey didn't want the risk and hastle of shipping such a rare car so far.:smile:
pipvan
12 years ago
As an outsider and pretty new to this old bug thing, i cringe when i read through this discussion, are you all out to get one over each other. 😳
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split