sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
My 56 looks like it has come to the point where it needs new heater channels. I have been looking around but have only found the standard repro panels.

Tried Autocraft Engineering and theirs are not going to be ready for a while, Status VW by all accounts from comments I have seen on forums appear to be the standard repro ones.

I am waiting for Wolfsburg VW to email me back as I have heard they may be doing a reproduction.

Has anyone used Gersons at Klassic Fab ??? (I think they are modelled on the earlier channel)

Help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagebug
12 years ago

I think Chris used Gerson for his heater channels, you could ask him about them-

https://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=18436&p=3  (post no. 54)

Post up some pics Chris! What are they like?

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
12 years ago

I think Chris used Gerson for his heater channels, you could ask him about them-

https://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=18436&p=3  (post no. 54)

Post up some pics Chris! What are they like?

vintagebug wrote:

Chris brought them around the other night,it's probably jumping the gun,before a trail fit,but they certainly look great.
And very reasonably priced for the quality.
(i replied on his behalf because he's shy):d
64rotbox
12 years ago

Chris brought them around the other night

GKL 7 wrote:

You certainly have some wild parties up there...

(...oh, bring them to the pub, eh? That'd be a conversation starter. I would like a look, though!)
You can call me Al.
vintagebug
12 years ago

(i replied on his behalf because he's shy):d

GKL 7 wrote:

Yeah, he always was a quiet lad...

.... aye, right!! Back in the day when I lived in north Wales, he could talk for Cymru! :wink:
Come on Chris, post up some pics & your thoughts on those channels!

:thumbup:

Dave
Chris
12 years ago
As George said, I had mine delivered just before Christmas. Got them from Gerson in Columbia, which got a lot of interest from customs :roll:

I had to badger him to get them sent as they weren't available on his website, so I e-mailed him twice a week until he finally gave in and sent me a pair :d

I paid the equivelant to £380 for them, including delivery, which I think is excellent value for an item that is not readily available.

First impressions are good, the metal is of a good gauge, not too flimsy. The profile looks spot on and even has the correct mesh over the heater outlet. The strip to fit the carpet is also on there, along with the outlet to attach the heater outlet to.

However, as George quite rightly points out, until they get fitted, i won't be able to verify just how good they are.

Here are some pictures, but they don't really do them justice. The marks on them were caused by the courier and not by Gerson himself.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
vintagebug
12 years ago

They look fantastic, Chris! If they fit as well as they look then you're onto a winner there. A great price too!
Dave
beefykeefy
12 years ago

They look fantastic, and great value :thumbup:
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
12 years ago
Thanks, it looks like Gersons are the way and graft in the fish gills from the units coming out.

They do look good channels from the pics!
vwJim
11 years ago
Have these been fitted?

Were they any good?
Andy Sparks
11 years ago
I tried wolfsgurg west, but they never came back to me. Gerson did straight away, look on the samba, there are lots of people who have fitted his channels on there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529373&highlight=gerson 

I am waiting for him to get the wings right, he's taken them off sale until the die is corrected
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
Lost64
11 years ago
We've used a pair of Gerson's heater channels in my '57, and they fit very well. For the price they're good value, and very well made. There's much more weight in them that the other repro ones available.

When you order yours, you'll specify what year the car is, and the heater outlets are put in the correct place for your car. The only little niggle we had with mine were the carpet channels. We had to cut a little bit off as it fouled on the 'B' pillar on both sides, but otherwise perfect.

Gavin.