Cool Splitty
11 years ago
Some here look down on us patina or ratlook car lovers
some I've heard say at shows is ratlook is because people don't want to spend their money on a proper resto or paint job. These people not surprisingly are often in the paint bodyshop parts trade.
We are saving our old split bus that is reasonably rotten underneath but has most org outside body paint by doing the minimal with welding and mechanical but not touching the appearance as scruffy as it looks.
I know a geezer in belgium that has an oval still with most its org paint but really amazing is his 1952 split bug that has all its factory paint.
Well proof that they are wrong and owners of rare old cars that still have most or some of their org paint should not pull them apart and repaint them and that restored is less appealing to hard collectors.
https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/10293/ 
This early unrestored surviving mini would have not had half the interest and price had it been an immaculate resto.:p
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
11 years ago

Some here look down on us patina or ratlook car lovers

Cool Splitty wrote:

[-x

I don't know anyone who 'looks down' on an original car with real patina. Some of my favourite cars are original paint patina cars.

Cars that have been deliberately knocked back to bare metal and left to rust, or original paint cars that are 'slammed' so that the underneath gets hammered in the name of fashion is a different matter though...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
11 years ago
Most on here (myself included) absolutely love a nice original paint (or even an old repaint), even when it's a bit scruffy and rough around the edges.

People on here only moan (myself included)when, as said above, people lower these cars to the extent that it damages them.

Personally, I do have a point in my head where original paint is just not worth maintaining, but you see very few cars that are like that.

You really are preaching to the converted. :wink:
William
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Hay cool splitty put some photos up to share with us. Also welcome to the site. My car is an old war horse that has survived over the years had some period mods done over time etc.  my 59 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
11 years ago
Two of my favourite cars...

Andy's patina'd Heb...

UserPostedImage

Original paint (I think) on Bobs split cabrio:

UserPostedImage

But that doesn't mean that every instance of original paint should be preserved, sometimes the car's just not good enough to warrant it and a restoration is the better option.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Come on Rob any Heb and your Droooooooling.

Andy W  16893.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
64rotbox
11 years ago
Signs of true age and history are great. Rubbing panels through to bare metal, lowering the life out of the ride height and piling rusty roofracks with knackered suitcases is another matter entirely. And that's not taking into account the genuine death traps, of which I have seen far too many. I think you'll find most of the people on here know the difference.

"This early unrestored surviving mini would have not had half the interest and price had it been an immaculate resto."

Got proof of that, or is that an opinion?
You can call me Al.
pre67vw
11 years ago

Come on Rob any Heb and your Droooooooling.

Andy W

AW wrote:

True enough, but of all the Hebs - I think that is my favourite one... :thumbup: Even lowered. It's great looking at restored cars at shows, but I don't think I could own one.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
11 years ago

Signs of true age and history are great. Rubbing panels through to bare metal, lowering the life out of the ride height and piling rusty roofracks with knackered suitcases is another matter entirely. And that's not taking into account the genuine death traps, of which I have seen far too many. I think you'll find most of the people on here know the difference.

"This early unrestored surviving mini would have not had half the interest and price had it been an immaculate resto."

64rotbox wrote:

If you'd bothered to read the link provided by Cute Splitty then the title and copy imply that rather clearly (it does to me anyway).

Here as copied:
A 1959 Austin Mini Seven De Luxe Saloon, believed to be the oldest surviving unrestored Mini, sold for an impressive £40,250 on Monday (30 April 2012) in Bonhams Sale of Collectors' Motor Cars and Automobilia at the RAF Museum, Hendon. Having attracted the attention of press worldwide, this amazing survivor sold for over three times its estimate of £12,000 – 15,000.

The problem with a car such as this is how do you keep it as is untouched without it slowly dissolving away. I read in one of the classic magazines that the car was suffering from some structual corrosion.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
11 years ago
The Mini is a great all-time classic and one to match the Beetle, having sold huge amounts over decades and becoming a world-wide icon. Our Mini is a great little car to drive, and though not as well built as Old Blue our Beetle handles far better than any rear engine car.

I agree with Cute Splitty - unrestored cars are where the collectors will put their money. Our '56 Oval from the US still has much of its original paint, though rather scorched and is all round original. Last Triumph here has a very original '57 wearing its exterior factory paint, and Rattletrap here its claimed owns a 1950 early export split with original exterior paint. So you don't need to go to Belgium to find them.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
11 years ago

handles far better than any rear engine car.

Old Blue wrote:

Any? :rofl:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
vintagebug
11 years ago

...Last Triumph here has a very original '57 wearing its exterior factory paint

Old Blue wrote:

Corrected- Last Triumph here had a very original '57 wearing its exterior factory paint. I believe the current owner will keep it in the same condition... :d

...and Rattletrap here its claimed owns a 1950 early export split with original exterior paint. So you don't need to go to Belgium to find them.

Old Blue wrote:

I think it's actually a '49, but more to the point, it came from... Belgium (I believe). :roll:

Please correct me if I'm wrong on either count, GKL7!

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
11 years ago

Please correct me if I'm wrong on either count, GKL7!

vintagebug wrote:

Correct and correct.
But I'd expect that from you Dave,unlike some others who just post what they think they may have heard.
GKL 7
11 years ago

The Mini is a great all-time classic and one to match the Beetle,

Old Blue wrote:

Do you go on mini forums and say vice-versa?
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

64rotbox wrote:

It would be fact. My mate has an immaculate restored 1960 mini but when you look into the restoration you find that it was given a new heritage bodyshell.I can't see how this can still be a 1960 mini andwith anew body.This happens a lot with minis and other british types I heard.If you put a newbody on a 60 Volksy then it would not be a 1960.
Sorry guys but our split is headin for the weeds.But not to worry as its a laterFleetline and not for this vintage vw site.Would not mess an early volksy.
Love to see the org paint 49split thought 52 in belgium was amazing.:shock:
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

Do you go on mini forums and say vice-versa?

GKL 7 wrote:

Though that more beetles were made than minis and for longer.:d
anyone have production figures for both
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Minis :thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

Andy W
pre67vw
11 years ago
Sorry guys, if you want to talk about minis - join a mini site.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW