Finster
11 years ago
In the 1980s I owned two old beetles:-
one was a 1949 (I think) reg 409 VAL which had been in Berlin in its early life.
the other was a metallic green '56 oval which I sold to my then boss on the understanding he had it restored.

where are they now...?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
11 years ago
VAL is with Mike Johnson,the person who compiles the HVWOC magazine.He's somewhere near Cambridge.
But i don't think it's VAL anymore,a previous owner sold the plate.Mike was trying to get it back,i don't know if he succeeded.He's presently restoring the car.
RoRoVw
11 years ago
I used to own WXL 28. I bought it from an old guy in a village south of Derby sometime in the early 1990's and kept it for several years. It had been restored when I bought it and had good quality, but non standard, upholstery and carpets. I believe that the engine had been rebuilt. It had been repainted in the original Diamond Green metallic and had later front wing top indicators. As far as I can remember the guy I bought it from had aquired it from the widow of the previous owner who had some connection with an independent VW garage in Derby. I can't remember who I sold it to but I haven't seen it at any VW shows for many years now.
Cheers Rob.
Finster
11 years ago
Thanks, that's good news about VAL - it would be nice to see her restored. I bought her from a guy in Horsley Woodhouse for £400 and drove 10 miles home! There's a steep hill in Belper and the cable brakes gave me some grey hairs.

I had forgotten about the interior of WXL - the dark green rexine was in good condition but my boss had it retrimmed in F*rd brown dralon! I nearly wept when I saw it.

I also had a split screen bus 653 LOX that I brush painted with tekaloid paint but it ran well - I can't believe the prices they go for now - I paid £350 circa 1989!

Mark
RoRoVw
11 years ago
The restoration of VAL is well advanced and I think it's only lack of time that's delaying Mike completing the work as he's doing it all himself at home.

Rob.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Thanks, that's good news about VAL - it would be nice to see her restored. I bought her from a guy in Horsley Woodhouse for £400 and drove 10 miles home! There's a steep hill in Belper and the cable brakes gave me some grey hairs.

I had forgotten about the interior of WXL - the dark green rexine was in good condition but my boss had it retrimmed in F*rd brown dralon! I nearly wept when I saw it.

I also had a split screen bus 653 LOX that I brush painted with tekaloid paint but it ran well - I can't believe the prices they go for now - I paid £350 circa 1989!

Mark

Finster wrote:

I think 653 LOX is in Mid-Sussex near me. I used to see it driving around locally, but haven't seen it for a couple of years. It is ivory over burgandy with a pop-top roof.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Davebd2704
11 years ago
Hi. Just searching around to find out if 409 VAL is still owned. My father drove this car in Berlin whilst serving in the army in 1952. I understand this car started life as a "staff" car. My father went on to own this car and i hold many happy memories of this beetle growing up in Long Eaton, near Nottingham. Sadly i lost my father in June but still hear him talk so fondly of this car as it was so special to him. I know that there are photo's of VAL in albums and I am trying to locate them. In the meantime i would appreciate any information or photographs that could be forwarded to me. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Many thanks, Dave
Finster
11 years ago
Hi Dave,
thanks for posting, do you have any pics of the car in Berlin? they would be interesting to see, I remember there was a Spandau stamp on the log book.
vintagebug
11 years ago

Hi. Just searching around to find out if 409 VAL is still owned. My father drove this car in Berlin whilst serving in the army in 1952. I understand this car started life as a "staff" car. My father went on to own this car and i hold many happy memories of this beetle growing up in Long Eaton, near Nottingham. Sadly i lost my father in June but still hear him talk so fondly of this car as it was so special to him. I know that there are photo's of VAL in albums and I am trying to locate them. In the meantime i would appreciate any information or photographs that could be forwarded to me. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Many thanks, Dave

Davebd2704 wrote:

Dave,

See GKL7's post above- 409 VAL is apparently currently owned by Mike Johnson, magazine editor/ committee member of the Historic VW Club.

https://www.historicvws.abelgratis.com/ 

Click on "Committee" on the LHS of the page & you'll find his contact details there, if you want to get in touch with him.

Good luck,

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"