Cool Splitty
11 years ago
This is advertised hear as a 49. it has crutch koolers so it cant be a 49 bug:?
its also a delux n thers no 49 delux bugs.delux came out in 50:?
https://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/detail.aspx?id=4625 
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
11 years ago

thers no 49 delux bugs.delux came out in 50:?

Cool Splitty wrote:

MrWrong.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
six-o-one
11 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Wouldn't crotch-coolers make it '51 or '52 George?

:p
GKL 7
11 years ago
Certainly would Malc,and that car is probably from either of those dates.

I was pointing out,the false statement,that no Delux/Export cars were made in 1949.

Trust you're keeping well,see you next Summer:d
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

I was pointing out,the false statement,that no Delux/Export cars were made in 1949.

GKL 7 wrote:

H
Juice breaks were not used by VW untill 1950. The delux spec is 4 juice breaks:p
pre67vw
11 years ago
Export model (deluxe) was produced from 2nd June 1949, but you're right - hydraulic brakes were introduced in '50. It's not the brakes that make it a deluxe though.

Clearly this isn't a '49 because of the crotch coolers, but it still looks to me like a bargain and a great project.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
11 years ago
Can't be that many 1949 Deluxe Beetles built in just a 6 month run. They'd be rather unusual presuming that they all had mechanical (cable) brakes if hydraulic was not used. This must also mean the that most Hebmullers would have not had the 'better' hydraulic system.

I understand that Rattletrap here has a 1949 Deluxe that he is restoring. I don't know what brake type it is though.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
11 years ago

This must also mean the that most Hebmullers would have not had the 'better' hydraulic system.

Old Blue wrote:

Correct, although they had the 'deluxe' side trim etc.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
11 years ago

Correct, although they had the 'deluxe' side trim etc.

pre67vw wrote:

I bet a few of the restored Hebmullers have been converted to hydraulic though. Given their high values, you'd not want to crash one into the back of a truck.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Not Getting at anyone on here :d . But its intresting to see why people have downers on cable brakes. I drove a car with them and thay were Bl**y good. I wonder if people have driven cable operated vehicals in a poor state or are just arm chair exsperts ?? I do have some were the correct procidure to set up the cabels on a Kublewagen and it aint straight forward. I suppose its the same method for the early Beetles.

Andy w
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

I understand that Rattletrap here has a 1949 Deluxe that he is restoring. I don't know what brake type it is though.

Old Blue wrote:

I think youl find hes the '50 car that has a 1953 pan n so juice breaks:p
pre67vw
11 years ago

I think youl find hes the '50 car that has a 1953 pan n so juice breaks:p

Cool Splitty wrote:

I think you'll find he has more than one car...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
11 years ago

Not Getting at anyone on here :d . But its intresting to see why people have downers on cable brakes. I drove a car with them and thay were Bl**y good. I wonder if people have driven cable operated vehicals in a poor state or are just arm chair exsperts ?? I do have some were the correct procidure to set up the cabels on a Kublewagen and it aint straight forward. I suppose its the same method for the early Beetles.
Andy w

AW wrote:

All true Andy.
I had a '52 Standard.When it came to brakes,it's cables were as good if not better than any hydraulic braked Split i have driven.

Rattletrap has a '49 export model(Deluxe as it's being called).All the chrome,all the side trim but cable brakes.
One interesting point,why would anyone want to restore an orignal paint,below 20K miles car?That's right, he isn't.It is a totally original car and doesn't need restoring.

So Kool Splitty taking your side of the discussion '49 Hebmullers and '49 Karmann Kabriolets were Standard models and Rattletraps beautiful car is a fake.I suggest you forget all you think you've learned and start again.

heb623
11 years ago
Nobody is talking of a 49 split!!!
They are talking about "a split" with "papers" of a 1949!!
Who says the papers the papers belong to that car!

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

Nobody is talking of a 49 split!!!
They are talking about "a split" with "papers" of a 1949!!
Who says the papers the papers belong to that car!

:twisted: ET

heb623 wrote:

Whas that tell us. The geeze adverts his bug as a 49.if i have papersfor a 50 bus i can advert my fleetliner as a 50:rofl:
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

All true Andy.
Rattletrap has a '49 export model(Deluxe as it's being called).All the chrome,all the side trim but cable brakes.
One interesting point,why would anyone want to restore an orignal paint,below 20K miles car?That's right, he isn't.It is a totally original car and doesn't need restoring.

So Kool Splitty taking your side of the discussion '49 Hebmullers and '49 Karmann Kabriolets were Standard models and Rattletraps beautiful car is a fake.I suggest you forget all you think you've learned and start again.

GKL 7 wrote:

I never said he was restoring it. we all know that org paint suvivor bugs n buses no matter how scrufy r wurth more now than immac restos. rusty mini goin for £55k in the sumer proovs that.
maybe Rattlecraps 49 is a fake his 50 zwiter is rekond to be:p
Old Blue
11 years ago

I never said he was restoring it. we all know that org paint suvivor bugs n buses no matter how scrufy r wurth more now than immac restos. rusty mini goin for £55k in the sumer proovs that.
maybe Rattlecraps 49 is a fake his 50 zwiter is rekond to be:p

Cool Splitty wrote:

It was I that said that Rattletrap was restoring his 1949 Deluxe (Export) Split. Mistakenly so, as it seems that GKL7 has been fortunate enough to have seen this car, which he describes as beautiful.

Regarding the rest of this post, its aim appears not to just discredit one of Rattletrap's cars, a car already well discussed on these forums and with some unfounded comments, but both of his cars, the other nobody - except GKL7 apparently - knows anything about!

We've all sent an email at some time, and after, on re-reading it, wished we could edit or delete it. Its the same with posting on forums, read carefully what you have written before posting. Even then, here, you can at least go back and delete or edit it.

GKL 7
11 years ago

the other nobody - except GKL7 apparently - knows anything about!

Old Blue wrote:

I know at least five other people on this very forum that have seen the car.
There were even photographs of it in Volksworld a number of years ago.

I have pictures of the car,but as i have stated before,if the owner doesn't want you to see them,i feel it's not my place to post them.Why? Because i was asked not to when he sent me them.

I've sat in the car, and as i say,it's beautiful.