vwJim
  • vwJim
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Evening,

I've been getting some of the missing parts together for my Oval, as I just bought a job lot of Barndoor / Oval / early non Oval bug parts.

I've got contradicting information regarding if the engine starts on a button or a key. One source said it was a one year only setup, '53. Another source has said its up to '57.

My Oval came in boxes, and has been heavily played with over the years so its hard to know what's correct and what isn't. It didn't come with a button, it did come with a switch but that doesn't seem to fit the dash all that well.

So, anyone know what the correct answer is?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
nicolass
11 years ago
Hi Jim

Starter buttons are used on Zwitter october 1952 up to Oval november 1953  003.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagebug
11 years ago
Jim,

Nicolass is correct. But zwitter & '53 Ovals came with both an ignition switch and a starter button. The ignition switch on a zwitter & '53 Oval is different to later Ovals. It doesn't turn as far as the later ones, so it doesn't start the car. You have to turn the key then press the starter button.
The switch is in the normal location & the starter button is on the dash, to the left of the speedo on LHD cars, and to the right of the speedo on RHD. See Nicolass' photo.

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
vwJim
  • vwJim
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
So mine being a 55 wouldn't of had one. And a mate's '56 that has one must been retro fitted at some point.

Thanks.

PS funny that another mate's 60 ghia has one too. All very confusing :roll:
Fernando Pal
11 years ago
My car is oval 6/1955 and starter key in right near button on the air  Carocha acessorio relogio grelha do RATO.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
FP
11 sedan de luxe oval
6/1955
early bay camper 4/1971
Rod_vw
11 years ago
Progressive Refinements says starter function was combined with ignition key at chassis number 1-0575 417 (21 Dec 1953) for Type 1 vehicles.

Up to 1-397 023 (Split becomes a Zwitter) it was a large 'plastic' button under the centre of the dash after that it became a small chrome button to the outside (away from the centre of the vehicle) of the steering column on the face of the dash. Then as above with some markets having gearlever locking added as required by local laws.

Rod