JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago
Here are a couple of Pics of Vera.

I picked her up today from Surrey.

She is a 1960 Semaphore model car. The chassis number confirms she was built about 900 cars into 1960. Registered Jan 1960. So a UK RHD car.

She was stored for 37 years in this lock up...

UserPostedImage

You would never know she was there...

I bought her from Andrew the Owners son. She was purchased in around 1965 by Andrews Dad Cyril and later kept in his mums name (Mum was called Vera, hence the car is named in her honour.)

Vera will be put back on the road in stock form at some point in the future.... (money, time etc)

Some pics..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Oustide for the first time!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

We loaded up the van with Wheels, lights, wings, engine, gearbox etc and Vera hit the roads...

UserPostedImage

Thank you Andrew (and family) for letting me buy her.

She will be loved.

:thumbup:
www.vwoval.co.uk
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago
I should point out that Andrew owned LOW514 for a while in 1970 ish... its a small world..
www.vwoval.co.uk
Lost64
11 years ago
That looks to be a very nice find Julian, well done!

Definitely one to keep bog standard, best of luck with it.:thumbup:

Gavin (Lost64)
karlito
11 years ago
Great find, wish my own 60 was as solid as that.

Love it
bobthebuggy
11 years ago
Hi Julian, glad you all got home safely I will watch this post with great interest, its good to know she will be going back together again:thumbup:
bobthebuggy
11 years ago

I should point out that Andrew owned LOW514 for a while in 1970 ish... its a small world..

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

It was 80ish I'm not quite that old[-x But I did buy my first beetle in '73:smile:
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago
Ooops, sorry! I was worn out last night.... brain not working. :oops: :oops:
www.vwoval.co.uk
pre67vw
11 years ago
:thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago
Vera Got wet last night... Thats a first in a long time.

I hope to go through her and see whats missing shortly... (we forgot to go back for that air filter)

Updates will follow...
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago

Definitely one to keep bog standard,

Gavin (Lost64)

Lost64 wrote:

Yes, Stock rebuild on its way... :beer:
www.vwoval.co.uk
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
Great find, I had a feeling it would be the relation of LOW 😉 If only I could find them like this 😞
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Nate
11 years ago
Great find.:thumbup: Its amazing that there are cars of this age still hiding away. i wont give up hope! :d
Rattletrap
11 years ago

Great find, I had a feeling it would be the relation of LOW 😉 If only I could find them like this :(

Rich Oakley wrote:

LOW514 is destined to be the UK's best known Oval, its certainly one of the more rarer ones.:beer:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rattletrap
11 years ago
These really late semaphore Beetles are fascinating. Nice find!:beer:

Hardly any (if any?)other car maker was still installing semaphores after the '50s. Even the awful Morris Minor had flashing indicators by then.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
11 years ago

Even the awful Morris Minor had flashing indicators by then.

Rattletrap wrote:

:rofl: Oldblue is going to love you.

I can't think of another marque that fitted sems as late as VW.
Rattletrap
11 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Its close I know, but I thought the Morris Minor had semis fitted for all markets no later than 58/59. I'm sure Old Blue will clarify on this most popular and loved British car.:roll:
Old Blue
11 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Semaphores were discontinued on the Morris Minor in October 1961, when flashing direction indicators were incorporated into the front and rear lamps. This is a year after the semaphores were finally discontinued on the Beetle.

We like our Minor enough to still have it after several years.:wink:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
chrisbug91
11 years ago
Very nice find :thumbup:

Whats the original colour called?
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
bobthebuggy
11 years ago
There is a sticker just below the platform for the brake fluid resevoir that says JADE 349, I have always known it as jade but then people started talking about Beryl green and I assumed that the colours name had changed although it does seem slightly lighter
chrisbug91
11 years ago

There is a sticker just below the platform for the brake fluid resevoir that says JADE 349, I have always known it as jade but then people started talking about Beryl green and I assumed that the colours name had changed although it does seem slightly lighter

bobthebuggy wrote:

Yes there is a L349 Jade green, L478 Beryl green is a different colour all together being a bit darker I think.
1975 1300 (1 family owned)