Nate
  • Nate
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi

Im after some help please. I have just bought a new fuel pump for my '64 1200 Beetle. I was led to believe the the engine was the original but it turns out the fuel pump currently on the car is the push in type and i am advised that originally the fuel pump would of had the screw in type fuel line connection (which is what is on the pump i have just bought)

Wanting to keep the car stock does anybody know where i can get a screw in type connector please? (does such a thing exist?!, hopefully i wont have to replace the whole fuel line?!

Thanks for your help.:smile:

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
Nate
  • Nate
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Ahh ok - thanks for your help. Sorry a further question - Do you know how the fuel line then fixes to this connection??

Thanks again
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I thorght the 64 Beetle ran the normal push fit braded hose type ? Look at the status list above at part number 113 127025D.

Andy W
pre67vw
11 years ago

I thorght the 64 Beetle ran the normal push fit braded hose type ? Look at the status list above at part number 113 127025D.

Andy W

AW wrote:

That's what I was thinking.

The way to tell is by the position of the fuel pump, if it's to the left of the distributor then it'll be the screw in type

UserPostedImage

If the fuel pump is to the right of the distributor then it'll be the push on type

UserPostedImage

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Nate
  • Nate
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Well thats interesting. I bought the new pump from VW Heritage and prior to this i contacted them to ask which one i would need for my car, they stated this one;
https://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fuel-pump-1200-34hp-8-60-7-65-for-108mm-dynamo-rod-113127025C_act_shop.product_pID_123429759_lang_EN_country_GB.htm 

Which as you can see is the screw type but interestingly the fixing is on the bottom (not the side which is shown in the first photo above) my fuel pump is defintly on the right of the distributor.

So is it the push on type i need?....Completly :? now.....
pre67vw
11 years ago
I don't think that pump is original, I've not seen one like that before anyway. Looks like it uses one screw in connector and one push on, no wonder you're confused!

I think you'd have to use a small section of metal fuel line into the screw connector, then push on your normal fuel line onto that.

Or get a more original pump that is push fit, or rebuild your old one (if it has screws around the top)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Nate
  • Nate
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Yes it does use one screw in and one push on - confused me completely!

I will go back to them and get it changed i think for an original pump that is push fit.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. :smile:
pre67vw
11 years ago
The replacement pumps you buy these days are like the one in the 2nd pic, they're OK although you can't rebuild them - not sure if later Beetle pumps are like this as stock. The original pump on a '64 would look like this:

UserPostedImage

These are great because you can take them apart to replace the diaphram.

You might also want to measure your fuel pump push rod in case they ask.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Nate
  • Nate
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Great - thanks very useful and very helpful:thumbup:

I'll get it changed for the correct one.

Thanks again
six-o-one
11 years ago
August '63 owners manual showing metal pipes - screw connector on the inlet and push-on, using a piece of braided pipe, on the outlet...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

pre67vw
11 years ago
Thanks Malc, learn something every day!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW