Localceleb49
10 years ago
Hi,

I've finally started working on my 49'. Replaced the lowered Front beam with the correct type and transferred all the hardware. The leaves themselves, which I purchased from Ebay.de are the correct type for the beam - 4 upper, 5 lower. The upper ones are NOS, the lower 5 leaves were used.

So, there was a 50/50 chance of me getting the bottom set in the right way (I'm not very lucky btw!)

With all the set-up back on and some original 16" wheels with some not so original Wesa tyres I noticed that the top torsion arm is resting on the bump stop on one side, the other side has a gap of about an inch - more weight is on this side as it is on a bit of a slope.

I'm guessing the gap sould be a lot bigger - do they need time to bed in?

Or.. perhaps this is because I have put the bottom torsion bars in the wrong way? I could try reversing them (messy job, does not appeal!). Unfortunately can't get the bump stop rubber's on as there is no gap!

Appreciate any advice as always.

Here is a pic of the chap as of writing, still a long way to go and that front looks a tad high! p.s. anyone got a spare pre 52 gearshift rod hanging about :smile:

UserPostedImage 

1949 Standard Beetle
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
That looks nice any more photos of her :thumbup:

Andy W