YanRami
10 years ago
Today is Nicolas Carr-Forster's birthday( REME48 ) and to mark the event I am hereby uploading photos of what I consider the most basic beetle ever produced.
Nicolas is a world authority on standard models, but this is a car he knew little or nothing about until today.
It was produced in Brazil and stripped of everything to keep costs down.
Known as the 'Pé de Boi' it was only available in 2 colours both of which I am presenting here. Light Grey and Pastel Blue.
So basic was this model that it had neither glove box door nor indicators, so an arm out of the window was the way forward when turning corners.
I would like to thank my old South American friend Dario Faria for these recent photos of a VW model I have always been fond of.  Lindoia2013- 297.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Lindoia2013- 299.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Lindoia2013- 287.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Lindoia2013- 289.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
The cream is the Heb, and you know it.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Wow...basic! Legal requirement defying stuff.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Happy Birthday Nicolas :beer:

Great pics Yan but is the indicator thing a wind up ? :d

Kev
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
Belated happy birthday Nicolas!

Great car Yan. I have some pics of another one of these somewhere.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
48REME
10 years ago
Thank you for the kind greetings and thanks Yan for posting these pics! What an amazing type of car, with its smooth dash panel lacking the grille, the glove box with no door and the screwed-on cardboard door panels! If they had been made just a few years before, in the age of semaphores, I'd definitely consider trading mine for one of these....that is....if any can still be found?! You're not likely to come across one of these in Hessisch Oldendorf or Bad Camberg lol
lifeintheslowlane
10 years ago

Thank you for the kind greetings and thanks Yan for posting these pics! What an amazing type of car, with its smooth dash panel lacking the grille, the glove box with no door and the screwed-on cardboard door panels! If they had been made just a few years before, in the age of semaphores, I'd definitely consider trading mine for one of these....that is....if any can still be found?! You're not likely to come across one of these in Hessisch Oldendorf or Bad Camberg lol

48REME wrote:

I would imagine they can still be found in Brazil...I too have pictures of one and some detailed ones but they seem to have been lost in a computer melt-down a couple of years ago. I can ask my contact to send them again if you'd like to see them. One word of caution...bargains are hard to find in Brazil these days.

John.
YanRami
10 years ago
No, the indicator thing is not a wind up Kevin. See the period dash photo hereby attached.
That's the only reason there are window winders, so you can stick an arm out.
No fuel gauge here either. The car came with a wooden stick instead.  fusca pe de boi2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  fusca pe de boi3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  fusca pe de boi4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  fusca pe de boi 5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Old Blue
10 years ago
Doesn't make sense. Although it has a full rear lamp casing, they didn't fit the front indicator housings and finish the job. What sort of saving is there in that, especially when you see that the steering wheel is not the most basic available with its francy horn ring. Old Blue my '68 has the rock bottom black plastic affair with just a basic centre black horn push.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
YanRami
10 years ago
I'm not sure why it doesn't make sense, what else could they have fitted at the rear? Admittedly the horn ring is the one fancy thing on the car but so mass produced in South America that it probably worked out cheaper than ordering newly designed simple horn buttons.
Here are photos from 4-Rodas magazine. As Nicolas points out, the hubcaps do carry the traditional logo even though it isn't clear on many of these photos.  4 RODAS magazine.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  fusca pe de boi 6.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  fusca pe de boi1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
YanRami
9 years ago
Here is the brochure, to complete the story of this very unique VW.
 VW FUSCA PE-DE-BOI 1966.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.