billy739
10 years ago
hi, I have a 1958 engine.

its completely seized and the case / heads are corroded.
it took me about 2 hours to remove 1 head ,and I had to destroy it to do so ,

do I throw it in the scrap or are the ' little bits' hard to find,

by this I mean push rods/ valve springs / bolts / nuts ect

its also possible with some effort con rods / pistons / crank may be saveable but is it worth doing?

all advice greatfully received
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
DEdzyyy
10 years ago
It's worth doing, I'd say. If you've got the time, you never know when you'll need parts 🙂
Coetzee
10 years ago
Hi

Definitely save them. Old engine parts are very hard to find. The 1959 and 1960 had different pushrods from the ones used in the 1958. What does the crank and cam look like? I would remove all the usable parts and sell them.

Hennie
DAS AUTO
john_boy1959
10 years ago
I picked this up from someone else. If you have a badly rusted bolt/nut etc, if you soak it in a rust cleaning molasses dip (I think it's 9 parts water to 1 part molasses) for a few weeks, all the rust will be completely eaten away without harming any other metal - solid rusted bolts can easily be separated. Some people make huge dips of this, so I figure there is no reason why you couldn't put a whole engine in!Look on youtube, the results are amazing.

If things are still a bit resistant to separate after the molasses dip, then soak engine in diesel for a few weeks. Molasses is available cheaply from produce/horse stores
John