pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
10 years ago
Hi folks,

instead of posting lots of new topics, will keep questions as I go to this thread.

Restoration of my late 66 java green is going well. I am trying to go stock stock stock as much as possible. I am in NIreland and sourcing 155 tyres will take longer than 165's.

Should I best wait and go for 155's or would 165's still look the part?

Or go 165 rear and 155 front?

Any thoughts
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
10 years ago
Hi,
My '55 has 165 Radial tyres which I reckon look okay. I had to reduce the pressure in the spare slightly to get it fit in the well.
If you are going for a stock restoration then definitely the same size front and back.
You could of course opt for cross ply tyres for a truly authentic look!

UserPostedImage
harveypj
10 years ago
165's although a bit too wide are probably nearer the correct hight of cross plys.
Radials will always be a bit of a compromise on early cars but I think by the mud 60's cars started leaving showrooms with radials anyway.
Stock......the new custom
pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
10 years ago
Thanks for your input guys.

I may go 165's and get on with the rest. I suppose if was going totally stock would be crossply any way.

Just want to get this wee car as stock as possible and didn't want to cause a major faux-pas if 155's were the only way to go.

harveypj
10 years ago
It will drive alot nicer on radials thats for sure.
I have cross plys on my 58, good ones too but there not as nice as the 155 Vredestein classics that they replaced.
I love my cross plys but they are old tech.
Stock......the new custom
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
I think bugs were still coming out of the factory in 1974 with crossplys on. Got crossplys on the 59 its fun at times. just got some more rims to get a set of radials fitted so she can swing both ways :d

Andy W
chrisbug91
10 years ago

I think bugs were still coming out of the factory in 1974 with crossplys on.

AW wrote:

Yep my 1975 Beetle was supplied with crossplys. It still has the original tyre on the spare.
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
Robb
10 years ago
165's are the right height compared to the crossplys, but as has been mentioned too wide.

155's are the right width, but aren't tall enough and don't fill the arches enough in my opinion.

165s would be next inline after crossplys
pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
10 years ago
Thanks folks. 165's ordered and fitted!!

NOW CARPETS!!

My Dec 66/ 67 model year bug has the original seats and door cards to be fitted - black vinyl. The original rubber floor matts are in great shape and will be fitted. I just need to order some carpet trim for the side sills/heat channels and front under dash.

To keep original - Is it correct that I am I going for the charcoal weave with the black seats as opposed to the oatmeal weave?

Also to get best quality - Newton Commercial? or any others.

What is the difference in narrow and square weave apart from price?

Thanks in advance.