Rattletrap
9 years ago
As a Beetle lover, I get tired of the British classic car magazines always loving up to the Morris Minor. Practical Classics is the main culprit. 'The Morris Minor is the car of the century, blah, blah.' The Morris Minor is the all-time favourite classic, blah, blah.' The Minor is the most useable daily classic, blah, blah.' The Minor is the most simple, reliable and easily maintained home classic, blah, blah.' The Minor is a best seller..'And so it all continues.

Does anyone have an idea which was the most registered car here in the UK, the Minor or the Beetle:?:

I can remember seeing far more Beetles around in the 1970s than the Minor:?
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
bigoval
9 years ago
I too remember seeing far more Beetles around (in the '90s) than anything of the same age produced here....

I don't know if we could request info from the DVLA to support our impression?
Old Blue
9 years ago
The problem is when people bang on about the Minor's popularity, they forget that sales numbers are a combined total for its many variants; the two door saloon, the four door saloon, the convertable, the Traveller (estate), the van and the pick up. I believe the total Minor production was almost 5 million, but again that includes all the variants.

We all know that the total VW Beetle production is over 22 million, and the thing to remember here is that they were all two door saloons and just a relatively small amount of cabrios.

I guess the Beetle is easily the winner. Also I would think that Beetle registrations in the UK were higher than Morris Minor saloon car ones. It would be incorrect to include the estate, van and pick up versions as they are not Beetle equivalents - they are not saloon cars.

We enjoy our Beetles and Minors all as much.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
9 years ago
I like the Minor, I'd quite like a traveller. Plus with the ever increasing prices of VWs, the Minor to me is looking more and more attractive - I think Minor prices are also on the up, but there's still some bargains to be found.

These days I certainly see more Minors still driving about on sunny days than I see Beetles.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
I quite like Morris Minors too, though they strike me as a bit flimsy.
I always thought the UK classic mags made more of a song and dance about the wonderful, fabulous MGB "sports" car than the Minor.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rattletrap
9 years ago

I quite like Morris Minors too, though they strike me as a bit flimsy.
I always thought the UK classic mags made more of a song and dance about the wonderful, fabulous MGB "sports" car than the Minor.

Originally Posted by: JD 

Flimsy is a fair description. I'v had two Minors (split-screen, small back window ). I find the shape a bit 'lumpy', it does not have the flowing curves of the early Beetle. Doors feel as thogh they are going to fall off.I immensely dislike the Minor 1000 (1957 on) with its awful undesigned 'banana' curved rear window (similar to the rear window that ruined the style of the London FX4 taxicab).

A nice lookiing sturdy 1950s British saloon, that'll be the Austin A40 Devon. I've had two saloons and one van.:thumbup:

MGBs and the Midget :thumbdn:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
9 years ago

I like the Minor, I'd quite like a traveller. Plus with the ever increasing prices of VWs, the Minor to me is looking more and more attractive - I think Minor prices are also on the up, but there's still some bargains to be found.

These days I certainly see more Minors still driving about on sunny days than I see Beetles.

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

This will be for you then Rob.:wink:

We'll be expecting a Minor forum eventually:smile:

https://issuu.com/timrex/docs/pc-morrisminor-special-sampler 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago

A nice lookiing sturdy 1950s British saloon, that'll be the Austin A40 Devon. I've had two saloons and one van.:thumbup:

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

I keep thinking about getting a Devon (I'd like a Dorset, but they're in single figures in this country) or a Countryman. Not sure you'd approve of my plans for it though. :twisted:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage