Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi
I know this is my first post but I am just going though a deal to buy a Zwitter 53 RHD from SA, I can't really find much info on the prices and just wondered if I was paying the right money. The car is in great condition inside and out. I don't think it is the og engine and it has been respray. It all looks great to me.
I also can't find much info on these Rhd 53 Zwitters, so if anyone has any info to hand I would be great full.
The chap selling also has a very nice 52 split crotch cooler in perfect condition, again been resprayed might see if I can get this aswell but again don't know much about the prices.
Any help would be great.
Cheers
Jas
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
This is afew pics I have
UserPostedImage 
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
UserPostedImage 
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
PRE57VW
9 years ago
Hi Jas, I have bought VW's over from SA in the past and been disappointed with the overall condition , but this is a very rare car and could be a great find if it is a genuine RHD Zwitter.
You will need to see photos of the chassis and body numbers to be able to check them and be confident that this is the real deal . From looking at the photos you can see the correct dash with start button , handle less ash tray but dose it have the two arrow Zwitter only speedo ? The doors look like correct ribbed ones but not sure about the interior , the steering wheel is 1956 > and the rear view mirror and visors are 1958 > . There was a RHD Zwitter advertised on this site a few weeks back for £13k and it sold but it was in much nicer original condition so gives you an idea of what to spend before shipping that could be around £2500 . Good luck with the purchase hope it happens , if you need any one to view it for you my brother lives in Cape Town and would be happy to help.
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi,
Thanks for the info, I don't know about the speedo, I will find out shortly tho :smile:
I have no idea if the interior is the correct one now you ask, assumed it was.
Do you have a link to the one that went for £13k, be interesting to see that one.
Cheers
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
This is a pic if a lhd 51 split there aswell.
Full rest job tho! But seems a good shell, there is another 52 Rhd but that's in much worse state :-)
UserPostedImage 
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
This is the 52 Rhd crutch cooler, very nice.
UserPostedImage 
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Me? I'd forget the Zwitter and go for one of the 'proper' older splits if you can persuade the owner to sell. The cream '52 'crotch cooler' is the one to go for.:smile:

I've seen too many early Ovals that have had split windows added to pass as Zwitters. And you can't look at the inside of the rear window with that new headliner there. If you are determined to go for the Zwitter and the chassis number seems good, then allow up to £5k as its value.:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Hazza1
  • Hazza1
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago

Me? I'd forget the Zwitter and go for one of the 'proper' older splits if you can persuade the owner to sell. The cream '52 'crotch cooler' is the one to go for.:smile:

I've seen too many early Ovals that have had split windows added to pass as Zwitters. And you can't look at the inside of the rear window with that new headliner there. If you are determined to go for the Zwitter and the chassis number seems good, then allow up to £5k as its value.:wink:

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

Hi,
Thanks for the info. The zwitter is correct when I checked the vin when out there. I can buy everything and talking about it at the mo. He has overs aswell, it's quite some place.
Cheers
Robb
9 years ago
I'd buy the 51 too.

that zwitter has had everything repainted, even the bonnet pull knob has been painted over. non standard seat and carpet trim. if its solid and RHD its still a cool car!
Rattletrap
9 years ago

that zwitter has had everything repainted, even the bonnet pull knob has been painted over. non standard seat and carpet trim. if its solid and RHD its still a cool car!

Originally Posted by: Robb 

Agree, and that makes me a little wary of the car. Far better to go for the earlier'KdF' style dash car.:thumbup:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378